So I signed into my VZW account online and to my surprise I see that my bill is 100 dollars more than it usually is. I check the billing details and all the extra charges are coming from my data plan. The only thing I can imagine it would be is Pandora. I just use email and browse the web and don't use any other 3rd party apps except Pandora. I currently have the BIS data plan for 30 a month and it says I get unlimited data. So what's the deal with me getting charged an arm and leg for using Pandora?! Should I go to a VZW store and ask them what's up or are they correctly billing me? Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 02:11 AM
    So I signed into my VZW account online and to my surprise I see that my bill is 100 dollars more than it usually is. I check the billing details and all the extra charges are coming from my data plan. The only thing I can imagine it would be is Pandora. I just use email and browse the web and don't use any other 3rd party apps except Pandora. I currently have the BIS data plan for 30 a month and it says I get unlimited data. So what's the deal with me getting charged an arm and leg for using Pandora?! Should I go to a VZW store and ask them what's up or are they correctly billing me? Thanks in advance

WOW! Call CS immediately and find out what is going on with your plan. Unlimited in Unlimited and it is required by VZW now for all smartphones so there is no reason that they should be charging you for data.
    08-05-09 02:18 AM
    You definitely need to get credit back for this if its not your fault. Considering you have UNLIMITED DATA..There shouldn't be any reason why they would charge you.
    08-05-09 02:28 AM
    I am with Verizon and have the BIS plan, too, but I don't have any unusual charges due to my listening to Pandora. The only thing I wonder is whether you are over the 5 Gigabyte usage limit, which Verizon then would be charging you by the megabyte. Unlimited data plans actually have a 5 GB monthly limit. The limited plans I beileve have only 250 MB.

I listen to Pandora, BB Scanner, moodio.fm, and I am not getting your overcharge, but then my data is only at 0.5 GB. If you are listening to Pandora for many hours a day, like at work or something, then you might have gone over the 5 GB limit.
    08-05-09 02:29 AM
    How can Verizon claim it's unlimited data if the cap it at 5GB a month? I would call ASAP and get it explained.
    08-05-09 02:50 AM
    there's something goofy with that. be sure to post how it turns out though. i use pandora a lot and would like to know there isn't an issue
    08-05-09 03:20 AM
    That's one of the reasons I like Slacker, you can cache stations to the media card on a Blackberry.
    08-05-09 03:24 AM
    Are you sure they are actual data charges and not text, pix, downloads? Unless you dig into the billing details they are shown together as data.

Are you being charged 25 cents a meg overage or what?
    08-05-09 03:32 AM

Yeah,
    Something sounds odd with that forsure ,I'd give vzw a call too and post what they say ,sounds like they made a mistake unless you was texting when you didn't have that included in your plan.
    08-05-09 04:56 AM
    Were you near an International border (if you're near Canada or Mexico you could be using their towers close to the border) or overseas recently? Could be roaming charges. Where under data does your bill show the charges? It's hard to go over 5GB so there may be something else going on.
    08-05-09 06:05 AM
    How can Verizon claim it's unlimited data if the cap it at 5GB a month? I would call ASAP and get it explained.
    That cap has been in place since Feb 2008. Sprint adopted it in July 2008. I'm not sure if AT&T and TMobile have implemented that across the board yet or just on certain plans.

Just in case you didn't know.
    08-05-09 07:43 AM
    I believe VZW has what's called a soft cap. What they do is prohibit unreasonable use of bandwidth, and they define it as using more than 5 GBs of data a month. It's REAL tough to use 5 GBs or more, unless you listen for hours every day. I don't believe that they actually charge you if you go over, they just warn you or cancel your account. I'm told it takes at least 2 overages for them to actually cancel your contract.
    08-05-09 07:49 AM
    I am with Verizon and have the BIS plan, too, but I don't have any unusual charges due to my listening to Pandora. The only thing I wonder is whether you are over the 5 Gigabyte usage limit, which Verizon then would be charging you by the megabyte. Unlimited data plans actually have a 5 GB monthly limit. The limited plans I beileve have only 250 MB.

I listen to Pandora, BB Scanner, moodio.fm, and I am not getting your overcharge, but then my data is only at 0.5 GB. If you are listening to Pandora for many hours a day, like at work or something, then you might have gone over the 5 GB limit.
    what are you talking about limited plans on a bb?? 250 MB that is for aircards, bb's have 2 choices, 29.99 BIS, or 44.99 BES, they have a soft cap like stated at 5gig. I use 2 streaming radio apps and usually have them running 3-4 hours aday, i couldnt even put a number on emails, and docs to go I download, and then my web use... but i konw monthly the highest I have been is 3gb, so unless you are using a program like tetherberry or you listen to pandora from dusk to dawn, 24 7 for like weeks you havent even come close, just call and ask what its from.
    08-05-09 07:54 AM
    I'd like to hear what's going on here as well. I often listen to pandora as well.

08-05-09 08:02 AM
    No way using pandor would use that much data. I use it 2-3+ hours a day and have NEVER gone over, i do youtube, email, web browsing, online banking, shopping....etc etc and have never come close to 5GIG. Those data charges came else where..texts/pix/flix.downloads.roaming...or something of that natures. If those are MB charges you need to call and have that resolved, but it is doubtful that is what it is. Good luck, keep us posted
    08-05-09 08:18 AM
    Yea thats crazy. Unlimited is supposed to be unlimited. Not no 5gb stuff. That's on the aircards. Cause a couple of my customers who use Myspace, Facebook, complain they get outragous bills every month with the aircard.
    08-05-09 08:19 AM
    Your data should be unlimited!!!! Are you sure you didnt have overages in the minutes department? Thats what really jacks up the bill.
    08-05-09 08:25 AM
    I use A LOT of data and I dont usually hit a GB..... so I find it hard to believe that you went over.
    08-05-09 08:33 AM
    The limited plans I beileve have only 250 MB.
    what are you talking about limited plans on a bb?? 250 MB that is for aircards, bb's have 2 choices, 29.99 BIS, or 44.99 BES, .

when i first got my blackberry (2008) I was on a 24.99 data plan with a cap, dont know the exact number but im assuming its that 250mb number i saw thown out there.

I had several vzw store people deny that this existed, then I called CS and asked them to put me on it and they confirmed it was accurate and put me on that plan

so unless they got rid of it..its there
    Last edited by peterr22; 08-05-09 at 09:59 AM.
    08-05-09 09:55 AM
    when i first got my blackberry (2008) I was on a 24.99 data plan with a cap, dont know the exact number but im assuming its that 250mb number i saw thown out there.

I had several vzw store people deny that this existed, then I called CS and asked them to put me on it and they confirmed it was accurate and put me on that plan

so unless they got rid of it..its there
    been gone.
    08-05-09 10:00 AM
    It's called a 5GB softcap. You aren't limited to 5GB, just that when you go over, you get very slow speeds. Comparable to 56Kbps modem speeds.
    08-05-09 10:12 AM
    I am on phone constantly all day. I have never had any overages. I have unlimited data plan too
    08-05-09 10:28 AM
    There is a clause in all contracts stipulating "Fair usage." If VZW deems the amount to be non fair they can and will adjust accordingly.
    08-05-09 10:35 AM
    Folks,

An argument was removed from the thread (10 posts). No warnings are being officially issued. I would just like to remind everyone that you can disagree WITHOUT being disagreeable! Lets please get back to the mission of CB, and that is us passing on the info we learned here, and helping each other. Bickering like school children in no way contributes to that effort. Come on gang, you guys are better than that! I know I've seen it!
    08-05-09 10:52 AM
    PK... did you delete your own post????

hahaha...
    08-05-09 11:12 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD