I've been using slacker and really like it but it seems everyone uses pandora.. anyone use both and can tell me which is better and why?
    thanks
    05-18-10 09:13 AM
    ive used pandora alot but from what i hear from slacker users is that it plays alot of the same songs. I dont know if this is true though.
    05-18-10 09:15 AM
    I like both. I have slacker installed because it has different genres I can listen to instead of me picking an artist. I can also pick an artist, but I'm lazy. ha.ha.
    05-18-10 09:48 AM
    Caching, caching, caching... that makes Slacker the one for me. Although the "Free" versions of both don't have it (unless you kept the older Slacker), the paid version of Pandora doesn't have it, but Slacker does.
    05-18-10 10:59 AM
    I use slacker and pay for it. Like it more because of the features; also use slacker on the desktop, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 09:16 PM
    slacker all the way..i love the caching
    05-18-10 09:23 PM
    I use slacker because you can build your own station and ban artists/songs from playing on your station... I don't think you can do that with slacker.

05-18-10 10:58 PM
    I have Slacker..the free version plays a few songs then stops and there always the same songs just about. You have to pay for it to get rid of the advertisements and the limited songs. Have'nt tried the paid version yet.
    05-18-10 11:10 PM
    I tried Pandora on my PC before I got my BB. It was too repetitious and played too mainstream stuff. I ditched it and use the paid version of Slacker (on BB and PC).
    05-18-10 11:13 PM
    I use slacker because you can build your own station and ban artists/songs from playing on your station... I don't think you can do that with slacker.
    some good typing..

I use pandora one (paid) and free slacker. And I still find myself using slacker more. They seem to play a lot more random music and better at switching it up. I find pandora playing the same stuff over and over and over again. Plus slacker has a couple more features that pandora doesnt have that kinda ticks me off but oh well.
    05-19-10 09:11 AM
    Slacker's free version was never a problem with ads... I would go 8-10 songs then MAYBE get a 15 second esurance commercial or a slacker ad. Hardly worth talking about. Pandora was horrible- I created a "Johnny Cash" station in Pandora and I would hear the Jaoquin Phoenix versions of songs from the "Walk the Line" movie. Horrible... Especially hearing him do "Ring of Fire" 5 times an hour...
    05-19-10 09:25 AM
    Once you get Pandora "trained", it's fantastic. It almost always plays a song I like, and if I don't, I either skip it, or if I really hate it, give it a thumbs down. I use the free version. The ads are NBD at all, and if you make enough stations, you can get past the "six skips per hour" rule just by making those stations similar. The sound quality is better than Sirius. Not a fan of Slacker.
    05-19-10 08:50 PM
    slacker all the way..i love the caching
    Amen, the best feature is the caching
    05-19-10 08:56 PM
    I find pandora playing the same stuff over and over and over again.
    That's because you're not giving Pandora enough info to go on. Every time you thumbs up a song, it could be the one that plays first the next time you start that station. If you take the time to give it seed songs instead of artists, it will actually compare the texture of the songs you like, and it's smart enough to notice that on a certain station you enjoy tracks in say a minor key more than those in major keys, etc. But if you only give it a couple of artists you like or only the occasional thumbs-up, I guarantee you're going to hear the same track later. The bottom line is that Slacker is not even remotely close to as smart about figuring out what you like, but it's the better out-of-the-box solution for some people. Pandora takes some more effort, and really can only be done right if you do it through the website and not the phone app alone.

We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.
    If anyone wants to more about the way Pandora decides what to play for you, check out the links under the "Pandora on your computer: Basic features" section of this page: Pandora FAQ

Caching on Slacker is a nice feature and I miss the comedy stations, but Slacker is not capable of telling the difference between trance and house and techno, or hard dance music versus minimal tech-house, etc. If you listen to non-mainstream stuff, and you don't mind putting a little effort into your stations, I think Pandora is far more rewarding. The phone app is also much smaller than Slacker, so if you're on a device like the 9000 or earlier, you'll appreciate the memory you'll free up by using Pandora instead. If you just want to pick a genre or an artist and be done with it, and you're on a phone with more memory than you need, you'll probably want to stick to Slacker. Maybe THAT'S why they chose to call it Slacker! It's kinda like Pandora without the effort. For me personally, the effort spent tuning my Pandora stations is worth while.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 05-20-10 at 01:41 AM.
    05-20-10 01:30 AM
    That's because you're not giving Pandora enough info to go on. Every time you thumbs up a song, it could be the one that plays first the next time you start that station. If you take the time to give it seed songs instead of artists, it will actually compare the texture of the songs you like, and it's smart enough to notice that on a certain station you enjoy tracks in say a minor key more than those in major keys, etc. But if you only give it a couple of artists you like or only the occasional thumbs-up, I guarantee you're going to hear the same track later. The bottom line is that Slacker is not even remotely close to as smart about figuring out what you like, but it's the better out-of-the-box solution for some people. Pandora takes some more effort, and really can only be done right if you do it through the website and not the phone app alone.
    Not sure what you mean with "if you take the time to give it seed songs instead of artists"? I went in my settings (on a computer) and erased all my thumbs up.. I was hoping the thumbs up means I like that type of music, not to play it over and over again. But like I said I erased them all, and now they don't play the same song over and over necessarily.

Now if they could stop playing intro songs, intermission tracks/lyric-less songs, and all the live songs.
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 05-21-10 at 09:36 AM.
    05-21-10 09:32 AM
    I'm cheap, and I like the free version of Pandora because I don't get the periodic commercials I get on the free version of Slacker. Haven't really found a use for caching, I seem to always be in decent coverage zones
    05-21-10 09:45 AM
    When I say give it seed songs, I mean build a station on a handful of songs instead of an artist. Give it more clues about what you like. Erasing all the tracks you thumbed up or down might help avoid as many repeats, but if you have a station with 10 seed tracks, a couple of seed artists, and 250 tracks with a thumbs-up/thumbs-down, repeats aren't quite as common. The more you give your station, the more you get back.

05-22-10 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD