I recently installed Pandora on the Storm, and yes I'm a newbie with BB. I was wondering if I ran Pandora in the background and just listened to music for lets say 2 hours or so, like the music player; would it kill the battery?
    06-03-09 03:23 PM
    I have used Pandora for a while and love it. The longest I have let it play was for an hour or so (maybe an hour and a half?) and I still had some battery life left (about 25% by the tiny little battery meter).

Just remember to shut the application down when finished. (click the BB button and select "shut down application") If you just press pause, the application will drain your battery.
    06-03-09 03:31 PM
    The exact kind of response I was looking for!

Thank You for the assistance.
    06-03-09 03:36 PM
    dude, pandora is good as far as introducing you to new songs, but on a mobile device for me it just doesn't cut it. Slacker ( Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations ) is where it's at, and it is all because you can cache your stations onto your device. That basically means that you can save them onto your device beforehand, and because the most battery draining thing is that your blackberry has to download each individual song before playing it, your saving a ton of battery. This past week I was rebuilding houses in New Orleans, and I basically would have my blackberry playing slacker for ~8 hours each day with battery life to spare. It was also playing it over the speakerphone which drains a good amount of battery. Headphones drain much less.

My Point:
    Slacker > Pandora on mobile devices when used properly.
    06-03-09 03:38 PM
    I used Slacker in the past. I hate it - the interfae isn't the prettiest and it's much slower for me compared to Pandora.

You may be right about the download thing but I only need like 2 hours a day and half batt left- I'll give it a try to see what happens
    06-03-09 03:45 PM
    Well Slacker just came out with a new version like 4 days ago. I don't really care how pretty the interface is. I only care about the result, and I find the result to be good. lol. Have a good one.
    06-03-09 04:07 PM
    Slacker's ok, but Pandora has been around much longer and despite popular belief has a MUCH bigger database thanks to the Music Genome Project (google it). Whichever one you decide to use, just make sure to BACK OUT of the program all the way back to the home page as the music is still playing (that is if you don't hit stop) and you will use SUBSTANTIALLY less battery power. It's having the main page open all the time that drains, not running the program. I have been running Pandora since the Bell .122 o.s. and I am able to use it for an entire work day (8 hours) and still have enough battery to use Google Maps to get home and make a few phone calls to the girl on the way
    06-03-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD