I'm happy to announce that we've just released the latest version of Pandora for BlackBerry. This version has a bunch of cool new features but I think the one that many people have been anxiously waiting for is improved audio quality. While we have had stereo AAC+ over Wi-Fi for a while, our mobile stream has been constrained to mono AAC - until now!

We've just switched the mobile streams over to AAC+ in our servers. If you are using an older Pandora client (1.0.3 or earlier) then you will be getting the "Normal" quality AAC+ stream (32 kbits). Once you upgrade to 1.10, you will have access to both the "High" quality AAC+ stream (64 kbits) and the "Normal" stream (in case your mobile connection isn't fast enough to keep up with the high quality stream).

Point your mobile browser to http://www.pandora.com to download and install the app. It should be available on App World within the next day or so.

Here are the full release notes for 1.1.0. As usual, if you have any problems please feel free to PM me or email our support team at [email protected]

Thanks!
    Marc

New Features
    • Significantly better audio quality over mobile network - now using stereo AAC+ (HE-AAC) for both Wi-Fi and mobile connections
    • User preference option to select "High" quality stream (64kbit) over mobile network or "Normal" (32kbit) for slower connections. Default is 64kbit. Wi-Fi (if available) will always use 64kbit.
    • Create Station screen now has auto-complete functionality as you type
    • Added user preference option to enable or disable station auto-start
    • Moved "Log Out" from main menu into Options screen, it now shows the currently logged-in username
    • Visual overlay when changing volume, more easier to see actual volume level
    • Application will check for correct application permissions on startup, and offer to set them to appropriate values if required
    • You can now get to the "Options" screen from the menus of both the Station List screen and the Now Playing screen
    • Storm: Downward swipe gesture on the Now Playing screen will dismiss the current visual ad (if any)
    • Reduced download size of app by about 30-40%

Bug Fixes:
    • Fixing problem on some Storm devices where song started over from the beginning after being interrupted by a system alert (phone call, SMS, email, etc)
    • Fixed bug where Wi-Fi capable devices without a SIM card or data plan were not able to use Pandora over Wi-Fi
    • Fixed reports of "low volume" settings not being low enough - the lower volume settings now go as quiet as possible before being muted
    • Fixed bug where album art may not have been displayed for some tracks
    • Mute button should now properly sleep the device when holding it down
    07-15-09 12:22 PM
    And as Murphy's Law would have it, immediately after I posted this message we had a DB failure creating a brief site outage - please stand by, I'll post an update when we're back online. Sorry!

UPDATE: site is back for most users, a small number may still have problems, I'll let you know when we're fully online

UPDATE: site is fully restored for all users
    Last edited by MarcPandora; 07-15-09 at 04:26 PM.
    07-15-09 12:29 PM
    Seems to be working now, Great!
    07-15-09 12:32 PM
    hmm.. I cant seem to get anywhere but the opening "Pandora" Screen.
    I'm going to reboot and see if it clears up.
    07-15-09 12:35 PM
    Downloaded fine for me
    07-15-09 12:41 PM
    Downloading now...
    07-15-09 12:45 PM
    Got error when I first started it, closed and started again and now it works fine
    07-15-09 01:04 PM
    Great! Glad to see the audio quality get bumped to 64! Any word on any sort of integration for pandora one subscribers?
    07-15-09 01:31 PM
    Downloaded on 9630. Rebooting currently.
    07-15-09 01:34 PM
    Great! Glad to see the audio quality get bumped to 64! Any word on any sort of integration for pandora one subscribers?
    What kind of integration are you interested in? If you mean the 192kbit stream, we currently only offer that on our website Flash app and standalone desktop app.

Marc
    07-15-09 01:43 PM
    What kind of integration are you interested in? If you mean the 192kbit stream, we currently only offer that on our website Flash app and standalone desktop app.

Marc
    Indeed, maybe integration wasn't the right word . How about themes for our pandora mobile app? maybe the ability to use our blackberry as a remote so that we could control our pandora on our desktop? i often leave it playing on my computer and walk around my house.
    07-15-09 01:47 PM
    Just downloaded the update. I'm loving the changes.
    I like how it now gives me the option to Auto Start upon start up.
    I like the visual volume overlay.
    I also like the auto-complete functionality as you type when searching for artists when creating a new station. I was trying to create a station the other day. It couldn't find the artist. I now see that I didn't spell the artist name correctly. This new update corrects that issue.
    07-15-09 04:37 PM
    I went to pandora on my storm, but nothing happens. I even went to the mobile section and entered my phone number to receive info how to download, and it put me in a loop back to pandora.com. What's wrong?
    07-15-09 05:00 PM
    I went to pandora on my storm, but nothing happens. I even went to the mobile section and entered my phone number to receive info how to download, and it put me in a loop back to pandora.com. What's wrong?
    Make sure your browser identification is set to "BlackBerry" and not "Firefox" or "Internet Explorer". You can get to this in the "Browser Configuration" screen of your browser options.

Marc
    07-15-09 05:02 PM
    Downloaded and installed just fine on my Curve. Sounds great!

I get http errors when trying to apply thumbs up though. Message reads...

"Unexpected http error occurred: 502 while applying your thumb up"

I love Pandora! Thanks!!
    Last edited by CheesyD; 07-15-09 at 05:58 PM.
    07-15-09 05:53 PM
    Downloaded and installed just fine on my Curve. Sounds great!

I get http errors when trying to apply thumbs up though. Message reads...

"Unexpected http error occurred: 502 while applying your thumb up"

I love Pandora! Thanks!!
    We're aware of the 502 issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Marc
    07-15-09 06:11 PM
    current build is causing reboots when using on my 9630
    07-15-09 06:13 PM
    FUUUUGG YAY-uh! Been in love with Pandora for years, been in love with it on my BlackBerry as well since they made it compatible months ago. Upgrades are always bueno. Stereo? SaWEET! No stop during notification? WORD TO YOUR MUTHA! Thanks Pandora guys
    07-15-09 07:22 PM
    I keep getting the error message saying "Unexpected network error occured: Connection closed while retrieving station list" while on WIFI but when set on the EDGE network, there are no errors. And yes I uninstalled and reinstalled Pandora 1.1.0 and I'm still having the same errors
    07-15-09 10:25 PM
    This update is fantastic! Marc, what do you think about adding AudioScrobbler support for last.fm? It's not hard... I had an app that did it years ago on my iRiver, but I had to copy my history lists from my player to my computer and upload them. A BlackBerry is obviously much better suited for real-time scrobbling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 04:38 AM
    Can Pandora be used overseas.
    07-16-09 07:07 AM
    Good to hear about the update. I waited on getting my storm just so that I could use pandora on it when I'm working out or driving. I was extremely disappointed in the audio quality when I initially used it and have been using the 'other' app since. I will try out the update later today and I hope it sounds much better ;p. Been a fan of pandora for awhile so I hope this wins me back. I was also curious if getting pandora1 would boost the audio quality. I live in a great 3g area so speed isn't a problem for me. Keep up the good work. You can also let verizon know they sold me on a storm only because of pandora
    07-16-09 08:15 AM
    Well i am in South Africa, Cape Town from USA and Pandora is not allowing outside US downloads i.e. in Africa. Some one pls download the application and share it. I really love this app but since i am here in SA it sucks because i can not access most of abroad sites, shoo.. what more to say H.E.L.P

Deezet
    07-16-09 09:26 AM
    This update is fantastic! Marc, what do you think about adding AudioScrobbler support for last.fm? It's not hard... I had an app that did it years ago on my iRiver, but I had to copy my history lists from my player to my computer and upload them. A BlackBerry is obviously much better suited for real-time scrobbling.
    Thanks! I'll forward your request to product management.

Can Pandora be used overseas.
    Unfortunately, no. Our music license only allows us to stream within the US. More information can be found here: FAQ

Marc
    07-16-09 11:21 AM
    Downloaded and installed 1.1.0 and it was working great for about an hour.

I am now getting:

Unexpected network error occured: Out of memory while checking licensing
    I am on a VZW Storm running .151. Available memory is almost 40MB which is pretty much normal for this software version. Rebooting it now to see if that clears it.

Any thoughts?
    07-16-09 11:41 AM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD