Are there any paint thickness guage apps for he BB out there? I know there is a beta version for the iphone right now that includes a probe that plugs into the phone.

Basically it takes paint readings so you know how far you can go without removing paint while detailing, a must have for high end cars, etc. There are several devices out there but this would be great if it was accurate to eliminate some equipment.
    06-06-10 06:52 PM
    I wouldn't do it. I owned a detail business for years, specializing in "high end" $100k+ cars, so I am aware of the risks, however, an "app" for a phone will never be as accurate as the "meter" that is specifically designed for that function. Remember, if that app is even .005mm out of calibration, you could be out thousands of $$'s. Trust me, get the right tool, your clients will be better off. If you owned a $100k car, would you want a "cell phone app" or the "real thing" to decide the thickness? As you and I both know, once you "burn" thru the clear, you have lost $ and possibly a client..Just my $.02.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 08:43 PM
    yes I allso agree apps\products of that sort are a money grab for the pros lol like myself just grinning on the inside when some poor #!; brings me their ride to fix . If you are an owner of a car or a dedicated apprentice do yourself the favor and buy the correct equipment.not only will you complete a project better and cleaner you will recoup your investment much faster.

06-06-10 10:20 PM
    I wouldn't do it. I owned a detail business for years, specializing in "high end" $100k+ cars, so I am aware of the risks, however, an "app" for a phone will never be as accurate as the "meter" that is specifically designed for that function. Remember, if that app is even .005mm out of calibration, you could be out thousands of $$'s. Trust me, get the right tool, your clients will be better off. If you owned a $100k car, would you want a "cell phone app" or the "real thing" to decide the thickness? As you and I both know, once you "burn" thru the clear, you have lost $ and possibly a client..Just my $.02.

No doubt, I would be putting it up against a "real" guage. How do you know I don't have a $100k car lol.

yes I allso agree apps\products of that sort are a money grab for the pros lol like myself just grinning on the inside when some poor #!; brings me their ride to fix . If you are an owner of a car or a dedicated apprentice do yourself the favor and buy the correct equipment.not only will you complete a project better and cleaner you will recoup your investment much faster.

My detailing is far and few these days as I am an online retailer and recently launched the first of many products. Don't want to spam but trust me I know what you guys are saying.

To me it's an interesting app I would like to try just to try....like detailing products to detailing junkies.
    06-06-10 11:32 PM
    If you can compare it first, perfect!! And I was not implying that you don't have a $100k car,lol, and if you do, congratulations on your success!! If you want, PM me with some product info if you sell detail related products, I'd be interested in takin a look. Thanks

06-07-10 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD