I have a Storm 2 and one of the most annoying things about it is that I must reboot after 90% of app installs or updates. Since the phone takes 12-14 minutes to reboot, this is deterring me from #1 Buying new apps and #2 Updating existing apps. There are days when I have 3 app update notifications and I cringe because I know that I do not have the time in the day to install them. Yes, I can install before I go to bed, then reboot, but then I need to wait for the download and install to finish. This takes long on the phone, too, as I get the clock icon during d/l and the phone is basically inoperable during d/l.

My PlayBook downloads apps and installs them quickly with no reboot required. I also see many Android and iOS phones with similar perks.

So... Do the OS7 devices require reboots after most install activities? Also, once the phones have a few apps installed, is the reboot time under 2 minutes?
    10-22-11 06:07 PM
    Yes my 9900 has to reboot after most if not all app installs. Super annoying. Although I haven't timed the reboot its probably around 2 min. Its wicked quick. Night and day compared to my old 9700

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 06:19 PM
    Well I will be happy to report that the reboot time on the OS7 9900 Bold is gloriously quick. Usually less than 2 minutes and upwards of 2 minutes at worst depending on the size of the update and complexity of the update. This depends on how much device hardware and/or device software integration the app requires plus related permissions. If this is the only sticky point my friend .... i would be visiting your carrier kiosk or store pronto .... you will not be seeing much of the Blackberry white bar on 0S7
    Last edited by bermont; 10-22-11 at 06:43 PM.
    10-22-11 06:27 PM
    I have upwards of 30 apps on my 9850 right now and the reboot time is still in the neighborhood of only 2 minutes. One of the best improvements of OS7 over my old 9550 running OS5.
    10-22-11 07:12 PM
    Thanks for the details. I still hate the fact that we need to reboot.
    10-22-11 08:00 PM
    OS 6 on my Torch takes only about 2 minutes to boot up too.

I have to say that my old Pearl 8100 running OS 4.5 took maybe only 3 to 4 minutes to boot up.

Really though, how often would you be loading and reloading apps anyway? It's not like you do it every day.

10-22-11 08:02 PM
    It's also worth mentioning that you can install multiple apps before rebooting. When the popup tells you a reboot is required, just select "Later," proceed with other installs and continue delaying the reboot until you're done. The popup will prompt you again automatically after you exit App World.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-11 08:03 PM
    It's awful that they haven't fixed this. Restarts shouldn't be required unless you're doing an update to the OS or after a crash.
    10-22-11 09:33 PM
    Same habits of rebooting in the OS 7 devices. Don't worry because it will only take you max 4 mins to reboot. Say thanx to the 1.2 GHz processor

10-22-11 09:40 PM
    Same habits of rebooting in the OS 7 devices. Don't worry because it will only take you max 4 mins to reboot. Say thanx to the 1.2 GHz processor

Isn't 4 minutes a bit much for a 1.2 GHz processor? I'd expect 30 seconds to a minute.
    10-22-11 09:44 PM
    Isn't 4 minutes a bit much for a 1.2 GHz processor? I'd expect 30 seconds to a minute.
    Yes its too much. 30 out of the box when first bought. After loading 70 MB of apps the speed of reboot became that much.

10-22-11 09:55 PM
    It's awful that they haven't fixed this. Restarts shouldn't be required unless you're doing an update to the OS or after a crash.
    +1, pretty pathetic to require a reboot for every application installed and to have to wait around 2 minutes for each applications installed. This is not the case with the Iphone 4S and with Android devices. Would have thought that with today's modern technology that a reboot would not be required.
    10-22-11 10:56 PM
    OK. have to say first that I don't have an OS7 device...

With that said, from my knowledge of all the handheld devices I've owned (including my current 9780) is that there is NO need to perform a restart upon a fresh install of an application. A restart is ONLY required during a deletion/ upgrade to an existing application. You don't have to take my word for it, this is easy enough to test yourself. Just download any small application for the first time and you will not have to restart your device. But, when an application is deleted or upgraded a device restart may be required. Just pay attention to what you're actually doing at the time of installation (fresh install or deletion/upgrade) and you will see the difference.

As far as I know, this is due to there being no preexisting objects in persistent store to remove/replace for a fresh install.

If there are any objects in persistent store for that application to remove/replace during an update/deletion the restart is required to safely remove and/or replace the previous objects with the current.

Please read this knowledge base...
    http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...68677&vernum=0
    Also read through this short developer's thread...
    Having "something" in PersistentStore requires dev... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-23-11 at 12:00 AM.
    10-22-11 11:58 PM
    The PlayBook doesn't require reboots because it's a different OS altogether. OS7 does, because it's built on OS6, which was built on OS5 etc. Doesn't matter how pretty or fast you make it, it's still the same old OS at it's very core.
    10-23-11 01:03 AM
    The PlayBook doesn't require reboots because it's a different OS altogether. OS7 does, because it's built on OS6, which was built on OS5 etc. Doesn't matter how pretty or fast you make it, it's still the same old OS at it's very core.
    The emboldened portion is obviously true, however, it is not the reason per se'.
    There is NO need to perform a restart upon a fresh install of an application. A restart is ONLY required during a deletion/upgrade to an existing application due to persistent store objects.

I'm not too sure what the PlayBook has to do with an OS7 handheld device thread though. although I noticed the OP made a comparison as well.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-23-11 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Added qualifying statement regarding the PB.
    10-23-11 01:13 AM
    I'm not too sure what the PlayBook has to do with an OS7 handheld device thread though?
    That the playbook and every other competition OS (mostly iOS, android) phone/tablet does not need a restart and its annoying to do so because its an ancient java OS that does not work as efficient and streamlined as its linux,unix/like kernel based competition?
    It does have to do a lot, when you put a playbook on a long time blackberry smartphone user, one of the first things they will probably notice is the fact that you dont have to restart at all.
    You even have to restart some times to set application permissions, extremely lame, but well, we have to live with it and it doesn't kill anybody.
    The worst part of it is that sometimes when you delete an app that requests a restart and you dont restart, the phone leaks memory like crazy, it happens ever since OS 4.
    But yes, no restart is required for fresh installs.
    10-23-11 01:26 AM
    That the playbook and every other competition OS (mostly iOS, android) phone/tablet does not need a restart and its annoying to do so
    Yep, I know. I initially wondered why BlackBerry Guy mentioned that, but I realized that BlackBerry Guy was only touching on a comparison point that the OP mentioned regarding the PB. Which is why I said...
    I'm not too sure what the PlayBook has to do with an OS7 handheld device thread though. although I noticed the OP made a comparison as well.
    It does have to do a lot, when you put a playbook on a long time blackberry smartphone user, one of the first things they will probably notice is the fact that you dont have to restart at all.
    Yep. I think that is one of the great "wonders" offered by the PB when first used to overwrite apps. I think it's great! I just don't think it has any bearing on what the ultimate real question that was asked regarding rebooting after install on an OS7 device, that's all. I just was staying on topic rather than going off topic into the comparison with other platforms which causes far too many issues on a BlackBerry site as you may know from your own experience.

Anyway. That it the reason for having to reboot a BlackBerry handheld.
    Enjoy!
    10-23-11 01:44 AM
    I just was staying on topic rather than going off topic into the comparison with other platforms which causes far too many issues on a BlackBerry site as you may know from your own experience.
    Certainly true hahaha
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    10-23-11 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD