Opera Unite

Basically, the new version of the Opera browser has built-in web server/hosting capabilities. The idea is that now the web browser isn't just a "receive information only" platform - it makes it easy for anyone to share their own content across the web. And it takes the server out of the equation (no need for a dedicated web host/FTP server/etc for the average Joe).

Try it out before you write it off as a gimmick or something that you already know how to do with other tools - it's astoundingly simple and it just works! For instance, it took me no more than 30 seconds to share 120+ GB of music that I have on my laptop to the public Internet, secured with a password if I choose.

This is just an example of what Opera Unite can do. Photos, chat, files, etc - this makes it CAKE to share anything to anyone. Like, so easy Toodles can do it (Well, maybe )

Other examples: Leave a comment on my fridge. Check out photos on my PC (Sample folder only). File sharing of any type is equally easy, as is hosting your own website.
    06-16-09 01:14 PM
    Moved to BlackBerry Discussion forum.

Thanks for posting this mj
    06-16-09 09:28 PM
    So you can share 120+ GB of music with everyone, but do you own the rights to the music?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 09:33 PM
    Just because it's easy to share something, doesn't mean that it should. Just my 2 cents.

06-16-09 09:35 PM
    So you can share 120+ GB of music with everyone, but do you own the rights to the music?

Key words "if I choose". What makes it nice is I could log on my work computer and listen to the music I have stored at home. Or log on at a buddies house, or a inlaws - - -
    or some could create a theme and use Opeara Unite to host the OTA, no need for a external server, when the computer is on - it acts as the server. No need to upload photos to flickr or photobucket when the computer is on you email the address to your family and the can view the pics stright from your computer. Web pages? No need for a external server again Opera Unite does that for you from your computer.

Last edited by mjneid; 06-16-09 at 09:48 PM.
    06-16-09 09:43 PM
    sounds sick... opera is finally doing what I've asked
    06-16-09 09:46 PM
    Ahh, that would be nice.

06-16-09 09:46 PM
    This is sweet!
    Now one office PC in one building can share with another PC in another building without "going through hoops".
    I spread the word around if you don't mind...
    Thanks
    06-17-09 11:33 AM
    This is sweet!
    Now one office PC in one building can share with another PC in another building without "going through hoops".
    I spread the word around if you don't mind...
    Thanks
    I dont have a problem with it at all i think it's pretty sweet honestly. and it's a free public download.
    06-17-09 11:57 AM
    Operan unite is for PC right? Now for berry's?

06-17-09 02:34 PM
    Here's the report on BGR Opera announces “Opera Unite”, a web server within a web browser : Boy Genius Report it states it will be for mobile phones in the future.
    06-17-09 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD