Have seen people posting about it figured i would start a thread. I couldnt get mini 5 to finish downloading but have 4 running pretty good. Has some quirks but the word rap is pretty good. I have been having issues with the default on some sites. Some times it just zooms in at different levels for some reason. Just posting so some may want to try. I just went to there m.opera.com and went to additional and downloaded opera 4
    bimmer22 likes this.
    12-24-10 09:54 AM
    An added note, the short cuts are way different. Track ball doesnt function as it does in regular browser i.e. enter. You use space bar or return to enter. Will have to play with it but its a nice addition to have for sites that the stock browser frustrates you
    12-24-10 10:06 AM
    Well I am loving it lol. Now that I have the short cuts figured out mainly using it without issues. Wish it had tabs though
    12-24-10 02:14 PM
    One of the reasons I love the Style so much is its Webkit Browser. I was never a fan of Opera mini to begin with and always used Bolt with my older BlackBerries.

Not that it means anything to you... I just couldn't stand watching you talk to yourself... LOL

Happy Holidays
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    12-24-10 06:02 PM
    One of the reasons I love the Style so much is its Webkit Browser. I was never a fan of Opera mini to begin with and always used Bolt with my older BlackBerries.

Not that it means anything to you... I just couldn't stand watching you talk to yourself... LOL

Happy Holidays
    oh okay I fully understand. Lol thank you I was wondering if my breath stunk lol. I truly lol when I read your reply. Happy Holidays to you aswell
    12-24-10 06:26 PM
    Yeah Opera kinda sucks and especially Opera Mini 4... I probably should download bolt only for certain things the webkit is a pain in the neck to get it to do. I just don't like having apps on my phone unless I use them frequently

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-10 06:44 PM
    Yeah Opera kinda sucks and especially Opera Mini 4... I probably should download bolt only for certain things the webkit is a pain in the neck to get it to do. I just don't like having apps on my phone unless I use them frequently.... Oh yeah and Merry Christmas

12-24-10 06:44 PM
    Yeah Opera kinda sucks and especially Opera Mini 4... I probably should download bolt only for certain things the webkit is a pain in the neck to get it to do. I just don't like having apps on my phone unless I use them frequently.... Oh yeah and Merry Christmas

Yes I know what you mean. I had seen a lot of post asking about column view and Opera kind of gives one. I think webkit is better by far for touch screens. I will keep it for awhile cause I like the way its handling zooming in on text accurately. Happy Holidays to you also :-)
    12-24-10 06:53 PM
    Have seen people posting about it figured i would start a thread. I couldnt get mini 5 to finish downloading but have 4 running pretty good. Has some quirks but the word rap is pretty good. I have been having issues with the default on some sites. Some times it just zooms in at different levels for some reason. Just posting so some may want to try. I just went to there m.opera.com and went to additional and downloaded opera 4
    I'm dying to get a version of OM 5 that works on the Style. The webkit browser is nice, but it's not as fast or slick as OM.
    12-24-10 08:00 PM
    Hey Guys! Just wanted to help!
    Using the Opera Mini (beta 2) will help
    maximized the use of the Style's Trackpad.
    This will work for people who have other
    Blackberry device with Trackpads too! It's a little
    buggy but I encourage you to give it a try!

NOTE:
    Blackberry Desktop Manager will be required for this
    installation due to the file being an .Alx and not a .jad.....
    DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW
    http://wapreview.com/download/opera-...d-en-fw4.7.zip
    12-24-10 09:19 PM
    Hey Guys! Just wanted to help!
    Using the Opera Mini (beta 2) will help
    maximized the use of the Style's Trackpad.
    This will work for people who have other
    Blackberry device with Trackpads too! It's a little
    buggy but I encourage you to give it a try!

NOTE:
    Blackberry Desktop Manager will be required for this
    installation due to the file being an .Alx and not a .jad.....
    DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW
    http://wapreview.com/download/opera-...d-en-fw4.7.zip
    Thanks for the link, i will give it a shot also
    12-24-10 09:43 PM
    just downloaded it going to try it out over the weekend

edit: this already blows away the 4 i had mentioned. Thanks again for the link

edit edit: was liking it just keeps freezing my phone lol. May just stick with the webkit one as my daily and the opera as back up
    Last edited by ratchetjaw; 12-24-10 at 11:03 PM.
    12-24-10 10:01 PM
    Haha, that was my problem too
    "Hence the *bugs* in it"
    I hope they can release this beta into the real one
    because this is "quite" good but left unfinished
    12-25-10 12:16 AM
    Haha, that was my problem too
    "Hence the *bugs* in it"
    I hope they can release this beta into the real one
    because this is "quite" good but left unfinished
    oh okay, i was betting thats one of the bugs you had mentioned. Yes it is good hopefully they do finish and also touch up the webkit thats stock on the phone. Really liking the Style. Its a great phone.
    12-25-10 12:43 AM
    I know right? Haha, and yes, it's unexpectedly a great phone!
    I was very skeptical when it was first announced by RIM.
    But weirdly enough, it's better than what I had expected xD
    I would have to agree on you with the webkit because
    compared to some of today's Mobile Smart phone Platforms (Android, iOS, etc),
    the Blackberry browser is way behind....It's been 2 years and I'm still
    waiting for Native Flash Support LOL
    12-25-10 12:59 AM
    I don't understand? I'm using opera 5.1 on my Style, & have been for weeks? Are u sure it doesn't work, as I use it without any problems, but only occasionally. I prefer the bb browser. I think I loaded the .cod files with BBSAK, after dumping the files off my 9650 BOLD, I just got the .cod files from the dump folder & loaded them.

12-26-10 12:11 AM
    I don't understand? I'm using opera 5.1 on my Style, & have been for weeks? Are u sure it doesn't work, as I use it without any problems, but only occasionally. I prefer the bb browser. I think I loaded the .cod files with BBSAK, after dumping the files off my 9650 BOLD, I just got the .cod files from the dump folder & loaded them.
    Are you sure you're using the BB version of Opera Mini, and not the J2ME version? The BB version has a very jumpy (unusable) response to the trackpad.
    12-26-10 11:42 AM
    Well actually u have to be patient with the trackpad and move the cursor very slowly to where u want it. That is an issue but I got use to it. Why don't opera fix that already? Other than that it works fine.

danisnotstan likes this.
    12-26-10 11:58 AM
    Well actually u have to be patient with the trackpad and move the cursor very slowly to where u want it. That is an issue but I got use to it. Why don't opera fix that already? Other than that it works fine.

I had been using Opera Mini 4.2 and like others had said, it worked, but the controls were odd and annoying. I tried 5.1 for BlackBerry and it looked great but there was no such thing as moving the cursor slowly, it was just completely unresponsive most times and erratic when it did move. After reading your post I decided to try to install it again and sure enough, it works great now (as you said, you do have to move the cursor slowly). My advise for people having issues is to delete and re-install. This worked for me.... Thank you 5.1 for not making me click yes to access the internet everytime I open Opera! haha
    01-19-11 11:08 AM
    I've been using 5.1 for BlackBerry all day and its working great... Except... Has anyone else had problems with not being able to move around in menus? This has happened 3 times today, but only while adding new bookmarks. What I mean by this is if you press the menu key, it will open, but the url box will be highlighted and you can't move off of it. So whenever this has happened I've had to do a battery pull since I can't move the cursor to the exit button, thus Opera can't be closed (would still be running in the background). Any ideas?

01-19-11 02:57 PM
    I posted a video on YouTube showing a speed test between the stock BB webkit browser and Opera Mini 5.1 if anyone is curious.

Ray III and 757EliasHZ like this.
    02-04-11 08:05 PM
    I posted a video on YouTube showing a speed test between the stock BB webkit browser and Opera Mini 5.1 if anyone is curious.

Thanks for posting that. There is definitely something wrong with the BB browser cause if I load the same thing from my computer while tethering (not using phone as modem service), it completely blows the thing away.

Maybe it is engineered to be super slow to cut down on data usage? HMMM

Does the Opera browser play Flash videos? Are there other browsers out there that work on OS6?
    02-05-11 11:46 AM
    Thanks for posting that. There is definitely something wrong with the BB browser cause if I load the same thing from my computer while tethering (not using phone as modem service), it completely blows the thing away.

Maybe it is engineered to be super slow to cut down on data usage? HMMM

Does the Opera browser play Flash videos? Are there other browsers out there that work on OS6?
    To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure how BIS works. From what I know, Sprint is used for calls and text, and BIS is used for data and email... But Sprint somehow has to connect you to BIS so I'm not sure if BIS or the software (webkit browser) are to blame. I'm not technical enough to know if there is more than one type or version of a webkit browser or if it is the same technology used on Android, iOS, WebOS, etc. I'd like to think that RIM somehow goofed and will be able to fix that poor excuse for a browser with an update. It doesn't make sense that I have an HTC Hero, Palm Pre and Pixi which are all comparable specs-wise to the Style, yet the browsers on those phones absolutely destroy the Style in both speed and rendering, all using the Sprint network. Wifi doesn't seem to help the speed (it does on the Pre, ironically the Style has "N" wifi and I don't notice a difference in speed between that and 3G).

If you tether the pages will load faster because your computer is much more powerful than your BB (I hope haha jk)

As for Opera, it does not run flash. Opera does run your web requests through their servers before sending the results to your phone. This is part of the big difference in speed and also contributes to Opera using much less data, but BB's use less data than other phones in general.
    02-06-11 06:09 AM
    If you tether the pages will load faster because your computer is much more powerful than your BB (I hope haha jk)
    That's true, but when I see that "Requesting" or "Loading" bar creeping along slowly, that would seem to indicate a communication issue rather than slow processing. Although the BB does seem to have a heart attack trying to scroll the page when it finally loads.

YouTube videos also play flawlessly without more than a few seconds of buffer time when reception is good.
    02-06-11 04:22 PM
    I got this installed. Mobile download didn't work for me either, here is where I went.
    Opera Mini & Opera Mobile – Download:
    Select 5.1 for BlackBerry, change firmware to 4.7
    Install with Desktop Software

Much more refined (maybe too refined) and pages load in a snap. The cursor is definitely squirrely but the stock browser isn't much of an improvement on that.

Mobile View sucks... nothing looks right. Turn that off, set font size to small, and turn on fullscreen and you should be set. There is a box showing where you will zoom to, that is a nice touch. But there is only one setting, you can't zoom with the touchpad.

I'll probably use both, mostly Opera when I don't want to deal with the mind-numbing slowness where reception is poor.
    02-07-11 10:13 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD