I am a security FREAK, and my biggest fear is that someone will hack into my Curve 8330 or that I'll get a tracking virus on it or something.... I just downloaded Opera Mini, and it was asking to connect to something like mini4.server or something, and I allowed it. I then got freaked out and deleted Opera Mini by going to Option > Advanced > Applications > Delete.

My two question are: 1) did I download anything bad?! Is it going to like intercept my phone calls now (I read that thing that someone posted about the 5 things to look out for, and when it said that people could remotely access your phone and listen in on your phone calls, I nearly crapped my pants), and 2) did that get rid of Opera Mini entirely, or is there something else that I have to do?

I also turned my Firewall on... will that affect anything? Thank you!!!!!!!!
    01-14-09 02:33 PM
    the message you are seeing on opera mini is totally normal. many people find it annoying as it will ask you that every time you try to navigate to a site (i don't mind at all).

no need to freak out though, you're good.

check:

options
    advanced options
    applications
    press o for opera mini

if it's not listed than you have deleted it.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-14-09 at 02:42 PM.
    01-14-09 02:40 PM
    Yeah what chrisy520 said. That's normal. I've had opera mini for a while now and no problems here.
    01-14-09 02:41 PM
    The other thing is that it said ( in the terms and conditions i believe) it was going to keep track of my phone number and stuff... I hit agree......... Is it now tracking me?! I downloaded it from mini.opera.com
    01-14-09 02:45 PM
    Oops, I forgot to add that I just read on wikipedia that there is some screen where you have to "press keys until the indicator is full"... but I never got that screen, even though I went on a few webpages!
    01-14-09 02:48 PM
    Oops, I forgot to add that I just read on wikipedia that there is some screen where you have to "press keys until the indicator is full"... but I never got that screen, even though I went on a few webpages!
    It used to do this but I don't think it does anymore.

It's pretty good right up until os 4.6 and then I'd prefer the BB browser. also remember it's using direct TCP so no BIS to make images fit your BB. If you pay for your data overages you might see a spike.

P
    01-14-09 03:15 PM
    I Love Opera Mini

Before The Upgrade Of The Os I Was Using This As My Default Browser
    01-14-09 03:57 PM
    First off Opera Mini is a great app.

Reread the agreement,

Is there any end-to-end security between my handset and for example paypal.com or my bank?

No. If you need full end-to-end encryption, you should use a full Web browser such as Opera Mobile.

Opera Mini uses a transcoder server to translate HTML/CSS/JavaScript into a more compact format. It will also shrink any images to fit the screen of your handset. This translation step makes Opera Mini fast, small, and also very cheap to use. To be able to do this translation, the Opera Mini server needs to have access to the unencrypted version of the Web page. Therefore no end-to-end encryption between the client and the remote Web server is possible.
    Can Opera Software see my passwords and credit card numbers in clear text? What is the encryption good for then?

The encryption is introduced to protect the communication from any third party between the client (the browser on your handset) and the Opera Mini transcoder server. If you do not trust Opera Software, make sure you do not use our application to enter any kind of sensitive information.
    It's not that secure, but it does render well, I use it for heavy graphics pages, but never do any banking or other sensitive stuff on it.
    01-14-09 04:19 PM

It's not that secure, but it does render well, I use it for heavy graphics pages, but never do any banking or other sensitive stuff on it.
    same here.

i thought it was secure though... but if it is not i am glad i don't do my banking using OM. i bought sandals using OM though...hmmm. now i'm worried.

ps- i like the new forum name!
    01-14-09 04:21 PM
    I use opera mini on some sites that the BB browser could not load. Also the images are more sharper in Opera mini.
    01-14-09 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD