Hello all. I am new here. And a BlackBerry newbie as well. I am not so relatively new to Smartphones in general, as I am the former owner of a Dash/Excalibur. I love the BB Pearl Flip/8220. Sometimes I miss my Dash, but had many problems with the Dash device, so I won't go there. I have sooo many questions about the Flip, but as I said, having had a Dash and been a member of XDA Developers Forums, I learned quickly to use the search function, or else get flamed by other members. lol. Just kidding. Well, kind of.
    Anyways, I have searched the site, google, other forums, etc., and can't seem to find the solution. I even went by my local T-Mobile Store for answers, but the young lady there said that it is not possible. In my infinite quest for modding, lol, I know that it has to be possible, or some way to alter settings to make it possible. I am not saying she is wrong, mind you. She has been very helpful and wonderful helping me to learn more about my new BlackBerry, she is tops in my BlackBerry tutorial advisors list. Heck, she even referred me to this site. I am just saying that if it seems impossible, some modder or developer will find a way, maybe it has just not been created yet.
    So here goes. I have downloaded and installed Opera Mini 4.2. I like Opera better than the BB browser. It is so much quicker. However, unlike on my Dash, I am unable to download certain programs/apps in Opera. On my Dash, I browsed to a site, clicked download, and a page would open asking if I want to "Save" or "Open". Many times I downloaded things on my Dash to my media card while I was out and about, to use later on my home PC, since it had wi/fi and my home pc is dialup. An example, I downloaded to my memory card the Full Tilt Poker software. When I got home, I connected the device to my PC, took the program off the memory card and installed it on my computer. However, on the BlackBerry, when I go to download some programs or files to my memory card, the window only gives the "open" option. To be sure it wasn't the site, I went to the same place to download the Full Tilt Software, and unlike on the Dash, the only option I have in Opera on my BB is the "Open" option. Also, when I click open, it just sits there, does nothing.
    Does everyone else have this problem, or is it in fact impossible to download program files to your memory card on the BB?
    07-24-09 05:12 PM
    Ok, first off, I feel like I just got done reading a book!

To answer your question, no, you cannot download apps directly to your media card. There is an app called Aerize App Loader that allows you to place apps onto your media card but they cannot be used from the media card. You would have to manually move them back and forth for when you want to use them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 05:21 PM
    Ok, first off, I feel like I just got done reading a book!
    Ya, I know. I get kind of long-winded at times.

To answer your question, no, you cannot download apps directly to your media card. There is an app called Aerize App Loader that allows you to place apps onto your media card but they cannot be used from the media card. You would have to manually move them back and forth for when you want to use them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And Wow! Thanks for such a quick reply. I am not looking to download phone apps per se. I am trying more to download program files. For example, today I downloaded BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0 on my friends Dash. (since my 8220 was shipped with 4.6) Using Opera Mini, it brought up the "Save" or "Open" radio buttons. I downloaded to my memory card on her Dash. After returning home, loaded the memory card in my BB, connected to my PC, and installed the BB Desktop Manager on my PC.

When I tried to download with my 8220 it only brought up the "Open" radio button, the "Save" button was not there. And when I click on "Open" it does nothing. I guess the Dash is different than a BlackBerry.

Thanks for your help though. And the hint about Aerize App Loader. I checked it out and am D/L ing now. Awesome. Btw. It's cool you have the 8900. I wanted that device but T-Mobile would only "multiexchange" the 8220. Maybe when my contract is up I'll upgrade to an 8900. But by that time hopefully T-Mobile will have a touchscreen BlackBerry Device.

Thanks again. Long live Crackberry.
    07-24-09 06:30 PM
    ***UPDATE: Today I was able to download Adobe Air through Opera Mini on my BlackBerry. (I am going to install Flycast on my home desktop as well, and Adobe Air is required). After going to the download page and pressing "download", Opera Mini brought up both the "save" and "open" buttons. I guess it only works with some sites?
    Needless to say, I also returned to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager download site, pressed download, and Opera Mini still only brought up the "open" button. Weird.
    07-26-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD