Hello,

I am a relatively new BB user (got my Tour last October). I am trying to decide on a single browser that will meet all of my mobile browsing needs. Right now, Opera Mini 5 is, so far, the best I have come across. My needs include speed and easy navigation. There is one functionality I am having problems getting to work, though, and that is playing a streaming .mp3 from the web, in the Opera Mini browser. The BB default browser allows this, and uses the internal music player to play the .mp3 without my having to download it. I want to be able to do the same thing w/ Opera Mini, since navigating the sites where I listen to streaming podcasts is SO much easier in Opera Mini.

So, my questions are:

Is there a 3rd party .mp3 player app I can download, that works w/ Opera Mini, so I don't get an error when I try to play a streaming .mp3 from the web in Opera Mini?

If not, is there a way to tell Opera Mini to use the internal music player on the phone, when I click on a streaming .mp3?

And along the same lines as the above, can I make Opera Mini my default browser on my phone, and not the BB browser? When I go into Options>Advanced Options>Browser, it does not let me change from "Internet Browser" to any other browsers I may have installed (such as Opera Mini).

Thanks in advance for any advice about this!

--Donna
    04-26-10 04:16 PM
    Opera Mini won't stream media (as you discovered). It should allow you to download or open the media. Opening it is supposed to invoke the BB browser. If that doesn't happen, try hunting around in the Opera Mini forums to see if others have seen this and if a bug has been reported.

When you open a link from a text email or text message, you should see an option in your menu to open it in Opera Mini. When you open a link from and html email, you won't see that option. You can't make Opera Mini your default browser.
    04-26-10 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD