Does anyone know if any of the versions of opera mini will work on the bold... I have tried the curve and 8800 versions, and they dont seem to want to load through the desktop manager (they worked fine when i had my curve)

Thanks
    08-18-08 05:02 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB, the latest version of Operamini works without problems on the Bold. I have had it on now going two months.
    08-18-08 05:05 AM
    Out of interest, do you find it better than the 'built-in' browser?
    08-18-08 06:40 AM
    Yeah.. I would like to know that too..!

Is there a way to make Opera the default browser on a Bold (not possible on Curve)
    08-18-08 11:34 AM
    I don't find it to be better than the native BB browser. But, I've never been a fan of OM.
    08-18-08 11:44 AM
    managed to install opera mini... i was using old desktop software (you need to use 4.5).

I find opera mini far superior to the inbuilt browser - it is also much much quicker.

As to setting it as the default browser... sorry I don't know, but would be interested to find out!!!!
    08-18-08 11:44 AM
    As to setting it as the default browser... sorry I don't know, but would be interested to find out!!!!
    I wager it cant be done!
    08-18-08 04:37 PM
    What is so great about Opera? I found it quite cumbersome compared to BB browser.

Besides the more "realistic" rendering (which isn't that real anyway), are there any other features that I am not aware of?
    08-18-08 07:52 PM
    Opera mini cannot be set as the default browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 07:53 PM
    What is so great about Opera? I found it quite cumbersome compared to BB browser.

Besides the more "realistic" rendering (which isn't that real anyway), are there any other features that I am not aware of?
    Its more elegant, less of an ugly black and white mess than the BB browser. When stripped down to 'lean and mean' (no images etc) it is way better for looking at something like this forum.

+ the screen view - toggle up - down action (2 to go up 8 to go down) is way more solid a way to navigate than messing around with the erratic acting trackball (which can overshoot an area you wanted to see, then you have to scroll back to find it etc..)

I do a lot on forums like this and Opera Mini (in Mobile View mode) is the best way IMHO to read and post on them them.

Also Opera Mini's RSS reader isn't too shabby either (but now I use Viigo)

Opera mini cannot be set as the default browser.
    Yeah.. that's a real bummer..On my network use of Opera Mini costs me extra! It doesn't fall within my (o2 UK) unlimited DATA plan. But I pay it anyway as I like it so much better than the BB browser.. Hope the Bold browser changes my mind..!
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 08-19-08 at 09:18 AM.
    08-19-08 09:12 AM
    I tried and downloaded the newest version on the mini.opera web from my bb browser..
    But why does the text seems to be overlapping on my bold..??
    I like using the opera coz it is more faster than the bb browser..

Oh.. And one more thing..
    When we use Opera.. Will it charge to the APN operator or it is still on the BIS quota..??

Thx..!!
    01-10-09 03:42 AM
    Perhaps experiment with font size?

As I said above...Re extra charges for using Opera -It's a network dependent lottery. Some people are lucky and don't have to pay. I know my network o2 (UK) DOES charge extra for it. So what is your network? Post that info and see if someone here knows for certain. But the data support nerds at your network should be able to tell you, (but you can count on the civilian 'customer service' people to have absolutely no clue).

Its a shame Opera cant be made the default browser but that is the repeat mantra of us Opera fans..so saying it is getting kinda old...

Getting a new 8900 with OS 4.6 soon so will see what happens with that, if I like the new browser and WiFi etc..

I may be happy to leave Opera behind...

01-10-09 04:06 AM
    Casper the newer version of Opera uses BIS so no APN settings required and no extra charges

01-10-09 04:15 AM
    Oh cool!

I am on V4.111328

I suppose that is OK then?

Any settings to be sure of? http is on 'socket' (I don't have my 8900 yet so the wifi box is unchecked..

Thanks for the good news..

01-10-09 04:33 AM
    Brand-new user here - only four days and as McDonald's says 'I'm lovin' it'.

For what it's worth, I couldn't get Opera Mini 4.2 to install - got a 'not connected to the Internet' error. Turned out that a setting had to be changed under Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP in order to get it to install.

Changed APN: from the existing (I wrote down the setup from the IT dept.) to 'wap.voicestream.com', with Username and Password for APN left blank. Hope this helps someone...

On my prior Windows Mobile phone (TMO Dash) Opera Mini handled web pages formatted as columns as one long column - very easy to navigate that way. I also found that it rendered pages much more consistently - no comparison - and my brief experience with the built-in BB browser makes me want something better.
    01-10-09 09:17 AM
    Perhaps experiment with font size?
    The font size is already on medium.. Tried the small font size, but I find myself very hard to read those texts..

The opera i downloaded is the 4.2 version and im running on OS 4.6.0.217.

Is it possible that it is not compatible with my bold..??
    01-10-09 04:23 PM
    I get the same issues. My text is all on top of each other, plus it sticks on one screen. Every time I hit a button it just loads the same screen, which I can't read because all the text is on top of each other.

One question though, what's the difference between opera mini and opera mobile? I navigated their site for like 45 minutes but couldn't figure out which one os best for mobile use.
    01-10-09 05:02 PM
    Oh cool!

I am on V4.111328

I suppose that is OK then?

Any settings to be sure of? http is on 'socket' (I don't have my 8900 yet so the wifi box is unchecked..

Thanks for the good news..

I'm on version 4.213337 so I think you need any 4.2 version. Remove the APN settings and download it with the internet browser set to default. I have mine set to http.
    01-11-09 10:48 AM
    mobiman can you please tell me which version of the opera mini works on bold
    08-18-09 03:29 AM
    mobiman can you please tell me which version of the opera mini works on bold
    http://mini.opera.com/mini.jad?rnd=1288357610&region=en&rel=4&cert=none

08-18-09 05:41 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks to JD914 for this path. I tried to download Mimi Opera to my Bold and was unable to for some reason but I went to my browser and typed in the address path above and BOOM....it installed and I LOVE IT!

Thanks soo... much again for posting this information.
    09-01-09 02:56 PM
    hmm....
    would you stick to Opera instead of the BB browser?
    09-13-09 09:47 AM
    Try this..............

Opera Mini - Download
    09-13-09 03:14 PM
    I end up using the standard browser despite having Opera and Bolt installed. For some reason if I have "use WiFI" checked in the opera settings, then that's all it will do, if i'm on a train and google something i get nothing, so i have to go into settings and turn it off etc... pain in the arse. I quite liked bolt though.

Let's face it though, web browsing on the blackberry is painfully inadequate no matter what software you use when compared to other smartphones.
    09-13-09 04:06 PM

Let's face it though, web browsing on the blackberry is painfully inadequate no matter what software you use when compared to other smartphones.
    You are so right! RIM has done a horrible job on making web browsing on a Blackberry and enjoyable experience. It's gonna take new hardware and lots of time before we see a web browser that competes with other mobile browsers. Opera is probably the best we're gonna see in this generation of Blackberry. Skyfire will not be the holy grail, having first hand experience with it all I can say is that they have a long way to go before we see a workable version for blackberries.

09-13-09 04:38 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD