08-05-09 12:44 PM
27 12
tools
    Hey all, just got my blackberry tour yesterday and I am in love with the device. I do have a question however. I have read a couple different websites saying that the Opera Mini browser is a fantastic program and that it significantly speeds up browsing speeds. So, I want everyone's take on this--should I get Opera Mini, or is the default BB browser good enough?
    08-04-09 01:57 PM
    Far better for heavy sites.

It's free, so might as well try it.
    08-04-09 01:59 PM
    Hey all, just got my blackberry tour yesterday and I am in love with the device. I do have a question however. I have read a couple different websites saying that the Opera Mini browser is a fantastic program and that it significantly speeds up browsing speeds. So, I want everyone's take on this--should I get Opera Mini, or is the default BB browser good enough?
    Bolt works great too and worth checking out.
    08-04-09 02:00 PM
    It depends on how much you use the browser. I prefer Bolt or Opera Mini for browsing forums because I do not like WAP sites most of the time. Opera Mini has more problems with page rendering and zooming in/out doesn't work on some webpages. The BB browser is good for general usage such as browsing CNN or going onto the Facebook mobile site when you need to. I'd install them all because why not with all the RAM that the Tour has?
    08-04-09 02:24 PM
    It depends on how much you use the browser. I prefer Bolt or Opera Mini for browsing forums because I do not like WAP sites most of the time. Opera Mini has more problems with page rendering and zooming in/out doesn't work on some webpages. The BB browser is good for general usage such as browsing CNN or going onto the Facebook mobile site when you need to. I'd install them all because why not with all the RAM that the Tour has?
    I completely agree, it's weird but each one of those browsers have the ups and downs and it's been when each is used for it's strength. I would absolutely love for one to be created that can accomplish all of them. Honestly that's my biggest complaint about my BB's the browsing experience is just so weird, not bad, just weird.
    08-04-09 02:30 PM
    I don't see what the problem people have w/ the BB broiwser is. :? I use it daily, and it does everything I need it to; unless it's. Flash site. I've tried Opera mini (despised it) and Bolt (way too slow and cumbersome.) I prefer the built-in browser to the 3d party ones. Very easy to use. The other ones aren't Storm friendly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 08-04-09 at 03:23 PM.
    08-04-09 03:19 PM
    Opera blows. Don't download. It is too cumbersome. Same with the bolt browser its a joke too.

08-04-09 04:17 PM
    I didn't like it too much. I use either Bolt or the default browser.
    08-04-09 04:22 PM
    You load a non-flash, non mobile optimized, heavy site on the BB browser and it can easily take 3 minutes to load and lock your device more or less while doing it.

Opera Mini will load it in a few seconds. That's primarily why. OM has it's own pitfalls, but that reason alone is enough to use it or Bolt (Bolt has it's own issues).
    08-04-09 04:22 PM
    Download it and try it out. I don't like opera since it doesn't fully load images.

08-04-09 05:23 PM
    IMO either Bolt or Opera is better than the default BB browser for my needs. The BB browser takes forever to render the pages I frequently visit, whereas OM pops it on the screen within a few seconds.

You'd have to try it out for yourself to see if you'd like it or not. As papped said, it's free. You have nothing to lose (except for rebooting your BB)
    08-04-09 07:00 PM
    An yeah opera is no good for pages with tons of images. It only loads some of them and stops. If you use those kinds of sites often use Bolt.
    08-04-09 07:25 PM
    I used Opera Mini on a Web page for a survey that had boxes that needed to be checked. I was able to click on the boxes and complete the survey. I tried the BB browser first, and it did not allow me to click on the boxes on the page.

Bolt renders pages nicely, but it is slower than a snail.
    08-04-09 07:32 PM
    I did not like Opera nor Bolt. I eventually went back to the bb browser.
    But I would say try each for yourself.
    08-04-09 08:42 PM
    You load a non-flash, non mobile optimized, heavy site on the BB browser and it can easily take 3 minutes to load and lock your device more or less while doing it.

Opera Mini will load it in a few seconds. That's primarily why. OM has it's own pitfalls, but that reason alone is enough to use it or Bolt (Bolt has it's own issues).
    I agree!! I tried to visit a site on the BlackBerry browser. I thought the hour glass would never go away. Opera Mini loaded the same site in about 10 seconds.

08-04-09 08:59 PM
    Just download it, it's free; you have nothing to use. I must say that it is my most used app.
    08-04-09 09:01 PM
    I love Opera. I had Bolt and really liked that, but I decided to try Opera and haven't looked back.
    08-04-09 09:03 PM
    how would u make opera mini your default browser and how do u import your bookmarks from default browser to opera mini?

i went to options and browser but i only see internet browser in drop down.. not opera mini??????????
    08-04-09 11:06 PM
    how would u make opera mini your default browser and how do u import your bookmarks from default browser to opera mini?

i went to options and browser but i only see internet browser in drop down.. not opera mini??????????

You can't change the default browser.

08-04-09 11:16 PM

You can't change the default browser. I would have killed for this option when I had an 8320. I also don't think you could import bookmarks for Opera unless you manually typed the websites that you had as bookmarks in the BBbrowser and bookmarked them in Opera.
    08-05-09 06:47 AM
    That's totally sucks, so what a pain this will be using opera, I usually use browser from emails and or shortcuts I downloaded

08-05-09 07:05 AM
    Go with bolt opera mini isn't that bad but bolt is more convenient. For example on opera u can't hit th "B" button to go strait to the bottom of the page. Yet the positive on both bolt and opera is that there quicker because they don't have to break down every site in script. That being said I'd try them both because it really boils down to which the individual prefers
    08-05-09 08:04 AM
    ya scrolling with opera is 2 for up 8 for down .. 4 for left and 6 for right ...

just wish with opera or bolt u can make default browser.. thats a killer
    08-05-09 08:10 AM
    On the default browser issue; have you guys tried uninstalling the BB browser to see if that would work? Worth a shot since you like those other browsers so much.

08-05-09 09:32 AM
    ...For example on opera u can't hit th "B" button to go strait to the bottom of the page....
    #3 will take you to the bottom. #3 again will take you to the top.
    08-05-09 12:27 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD