pros, cons?
    I amlooking for actual user feedback. Does it eat app memory? Is it faster? Advantages? Defficiencies?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    01-22-10 09:50 PM
    Check the 3rd party apps forum...Opera is well discussed there. Seems most people like it, but I haven't figured out why yet.

Pros:

Renders pages quickly (when they render anyway...)

Photo content in pages actually looks good...not pixelated like on native browser.

Cons:

Memory hog.
    Not multi-task friendly with the BB OS.

Causes freezes (My phone would freeze twice a day. Since deleting Opera about three weeks ago it hasn't frozen once).

Pages either load fast or not at all. Or you click on a link and it reloads the same page you're on. Once you get them to load they are fast, but I spent WAY too much time loading and reloading over and over again...

Zoom function bites. You have two zoom levels, too small and larger, but still too small.

Scrolling bits. It clearly wasn't meant for the Storm. Takes forever to move around a page.

All that said, why not just try it? It's free and you can delete it if you don't like it. That's what I did...I deleted it and reinstalled it about 20 times because I was using it for two websites, one of which was Crackberry. But now that Crackberry has improved their mobile site I'm fine with the native browser and I couldn't see putting up with Opera just for one website.
    01-23-10 01:34 AM
    Not sure what version Chuck had installed or how he had it set up but Opera mini 5 beta 2 works great on my phone. Pages load fast I can scroll around real easy by just swiping my finger over page which ever way I want to go.

Have not had a problem loading any pages yet. Much better than the native browser.
    Not that hard to multi task either if you just hold the BB key down for a minute and pop up the task bar of running apps. I love the tabbed browsing often I need 2 or 3 pages open at the same time and it does that real well.
    I like it myself.
    But hey it is free, down load it and try it yourself if you don't like it you can remove it.
    01-23-10 03:01 AM
    Not sure what version Chuck had installed or how he had it set up but Opera mini 5 beta 2 works great on my phone. Pages load fast I can scroll around real easy by just swiping my finger over page which ever way I want to go.

Have not had a problem loading any pages yet. Much better than the native browser.
    Not that hard to multi task either if you just hold the BB key down for a minute and pop up the task bar of running apps. I love the tabbed browsing often I need 2 or 3 pages open at the same time and it does that real well.
    I like it myself.
    But hey it is free, down load it and try it yourself if you don't like it you can remove it.
    I tried pretty much all of them, including 5 Beta 2. Don't know why I had so much trouble with it, but I tried re-downloading and reinstalling numerous times. Maybe it just didn't get along with something else installed on my phone...I don't know...
    01-23-10 03:23 AM
    I gotta agree with techark. I would go as far to say the opera mini beta 5 is a must have for storm owners who browse the net frequently. Its not without its own glitches (trying to type in text fields is pretty unreliable and for some reason is doesn't play nice with sure type) but it is miles ahead of the native browser.

There were two versions of beta 5, and if I had to guess I think chuck downloaded the first one because that one was pretty buggy.

But again, its a must have. It loads pages at speeds comparable to the iPhone. It should make your wait for new webkit based bb browser much more tolerable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 04:05 AM
    i have tried the opra browser and it doesnt feel as 'robust" as the native browser i dont know why but i dont really lie it too much too many glitches for me
    01-23-10 04:46 AM
    Opera 5beta2 is amazing pages load twice as fast as native browser. The pages load better. Has the tabbing feature which is great. Have not had problems loading any pages so far. Has a password manager to save time logging into site. The only con I can see from my experience is I don't know how to zoom with the storm, I'm sure will be fixed with official os. Overall I greatly recommend this browser.

01-23-10 06:06 AM
    Yup I am a fan of it for sure. Loads fast and is easy to use on Storm. Every once in a while it seems to load nothing and shows all white, but thats pretty rare for me. I recommend it for sure.
    01-23-10 10:00 AM
    I use it on my 9700 and so far so good. Its three times faster than the native browser.
    01-23-10 10:18 AM
    I gotta agree with techark. I would go as far to say the opera mini beta 5 is a must have for storm owners who browse the net frequently. Its not without its own glitches (trying to type in text fields is pretty unreliable and for some reason is doesn't play nice with sure type) but it is miles ahead of the native browser.

There were two versions of beta 5, and if I had to guess I think chuck downloaded the first one because that one was pretty buggy.

But again, its a must have. It loads pages at speeds comparable to the iPhone. It should make your wait for new webkit based bb browser much more tolerable.

I agree, the beta did have problems rendering pages but I haven't seen it with v.2. The only think I don't like on v.2 is that the virtual keyboard is gone, I found that a lot easier to use than the storm keyboard.

01-23-10 10:21 AM
    Anyone know where downloads you do through this browser are saved to?

01-23-10 10:24 AM
    I will go as far as saying the Storms browsing is useless without Opera Mini.
    01-23-10 12:24 PM
    i agree with whitewater 100%
    01-23-10 12:27 PM
    opres is great for browsing but not so good for cut and pasting into / outof the browser into other apps.
    Also not good for downloading apps or movies, i use the default browser for that as does opera often has to use default browser for some things it does not do.

But it is way fast and usable. The builtin BB browser is too slow to use for long on storm. I loose patience with it, but the opera mini I can browse for hours and am always impressed.
    01-23-10 09:11 PM
    Thank you for all the replies.
    I downloaded it yesterday. I think it completes the Storm.I think it is what the native browser should have been. I have not noticed any problems yet.
    01-23-10 10:13 PM
    i've noticed, on occasion that the keyboard (on portrait mode) only allows me to enter text with the multi-tap keyboard instead of the SureType keyboard. Is there a way to select to use SureType when using the OperaMini5 browser? Oh and I have been using the OMb5 for a while and I find it a faster and more enjoyable browsing experience. I only use the native browser for downloading OTA links, pretty much. As far as cutting and pasting, I agree. Pasting into Opera is easy enough, just touch the screen long enough for the option menu to appear and select paste. Copying is tougher if its not already hotlinked text.

Just need to figure out this keyboard thing and I can overlook the copy/paste fail

01-25-10 10:07 AM
    Moving to 3rd party apps
    01-25-10 10:38 AM
    opres is great for browsing but not so good for cut and pasting into / outof the browser into other apps.
    Also not good for downloading apps or movies, i use the default browser for that as does opera often has to use default browser for some things it does not do.

But it is way fast and usable. The builtin BB browser is too slow to use for long on storm. I loose patience with it, but the opera mini I can browse for hours and am always impressed.
    Yeah so far I agree with ya. I like to cut & paste stuff but Opera mini is big time fast on some sites. I'm still getting use to it though...
    01-25-10 11:11 AM
    I think its great IFFF you are just browsing around, i agree with chuck that the zoom kinda sucks too. I can't really do anything on the browser but browse, and if your going to download anything or look at a video it takes you to the native browser anyway. If you can use wifi, just do that with the native browser for anything decently important. Opera is just kinda a fun browser for me...but thats just my opinion
    01-25-10 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD