Ok I'm gonna ask a dumb question, I'm newish at BBs so please don't jump on me.
    I have unlimited data as long as I use the BB browser, so I'm guessing if I install opera mini and use that it means I would get charged for data is this correct?? Sorry for the noob question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 02:38 AM
    Yes, you will get charged, but mini compresses and should help you avoid heavy data charges
    11-29-10 02:41 AM
    Who is your provider?

11-29-10 02:50 AM
    Optus Australia

11-29-10 02:54 AM
    Hmmm I wouldn't know about them.....I think you should ask them....in my case I use to have unlimited browsing and data and I could use any browser I liked so long as I didn't tether my phone.....I'm thinking if you have an unlimited data plan that means any data you use on your device with whatever apps is fine! Just call or ask some friends that have bb's and the same plan. And the only stupid question you can ever ask, is the one you don't ask!

11-29-10 02:57 AM
    I think its called unlimited blackberry internet or something like that.

11-29-10 03:00 AM
    Well if it says unlimted bis then you are fine and can download it and use it. See here in canada they have those type of plans but also have unlimited social plans for people that don't use apps and just want to be connected. If its unlimited bis then you are good to go because, as far as I am aware when you are on bis, all device data goes through the noc servers at RIM, even if it's a third party browser. Correct me if I am wrong

Posted from my BlackBerry 9900 at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by latin_teacher85; 11-29-10 at 03:06 AM.
    11-29-10 03:03 AM
    I have unlimited so opera mini is very UN attractive........It cuts the web by 60 to 90 percent. I say pay the 10 20 bucks and get the web.
    11-29-10 03:08 AM
    So Opera mini is crap? What other options are there?

11-29-10 03:11 AM
    Bolt browser is great. I use that all the time! Go to Bolt Browser from your phones browser.

11-29-10 03:16 AM
    what is wrong with the native HTML browser?
    11-29-10 03:20 AM
    Sorry just not completely loving it and it doesn't hurt to try something different?

11-29-10 03:22 AM
    for real......
    11-29-10 03:27 AM
    If you have unlimited data through BIS, you won't be charged extra...I am constantly using Opera, which is still the best browsing experience out...even over webkit, least on the 9700...as column view don't work on webkit.

Bolt is okay at rendering pages, but is slowwwww.

11-29-10 12:03 PM
    The best way would be to download BOLT and OperaMini and try them out. Use them very sparingly for a week or so and then stop using them. Now check your monthly bill VERY carefully.

This really is the only way to be absolutely sure as to what your bill will do when you move outside the pre-defined envelope as set up by your carrier.

Carriers are each a law unto themseleves. Some never bill for stuff like this whilst others rip into your wallet at every opportunity.

Check with others who have the same phone on the same carrier too.

Gotta say that I have tried every new browser that came out and I always end up back on the native browser.

Lastly, the new browser that is delivered with OS6 (not released but available in another forum on this site) is about a light year ahaerd of the old one. However please gain some experience before you start installing leaked and unreleased OS software on your new phone. That said, mine works great and it seems very stable.
    11-29-10 12:17 PM
    I don't understand, if someone says they have unlimited data, how would they not be able to use a 3rd party browser?

11-29-10 03:33 PM
    In Indonesia, carier telkomsel, with the bb unlimited data plan you can use operamnini but only http connection not the socket (fast) connection.

11-29-10 04:31 PM
    I have never heard of unlimited not applying if you didn't use the bb browser. I used Opera mini for awhile, and bolt and was never charged any additional fee. I have Tmobile. I don't like bolt, I just don't care for the UI although I liked the idea of tabs, and I liked Opera mini until the last update, totally messed up everything I liked about it. That was many months ago so if they have updated again I might give it a shot.
    11-29-10 04:42 PM
    So Opera mini is just a third party app? I will still av the native browser if I wanna use it?

11-29-10 05:34 PM
    I don't understand, if someone says they have unlimited data, how would they not be able to use a 3rd party browser?

I have never heard of unlimited not applying if you didn't use the bb browser. I used Opera mini for awhile, and bolt and was never charged any additional fee. I have Tmobile. I don't like bolt, I just don't care for the UI although I liked the idea of tabs, and I liked Opera mini until the last update, totally messed up everything I liked about it. That was many months ago so if they have updated again I might give it a shot.
    note that both users are based in the US.

ur carrier in ur country might run a different system.

So Opera mini is just a third party app? I will still av the native browser if I wanna use it?

yes absolutely. it's just an app like google maps, facebook, twitter, etc.

only the native BB browser can download & install apps though.
    11-29-10 07:55 PM
    Stick to the native browser to download and install apps. nothing else will work correctly and you'll get errors.

11-29-10 10:36 PM
    Yep, that is true about downloading apps and what not, use native.

11-29-10 10:37 PM
    Thankyou to everyone for your help much appreciated

11-29-10 11:22 PM
    Thankyou to everyone for your help much appreciated

I'm on Optus as well. Opera mini still uses normal BIS data or blackberry data so you can use it without any additional charges. The only time you should get charged for using WAP data is if you launch the Optus Browser icon or WAP browser which is why I always hide it to prevent clicking on it by accident. Even watching clips via m.youtube will not incur additional charges if you are using Internet Browser (even though a pop up warns that you may get charged). Also, if you don't like native, you can always configure it to disable Java scripts (will speed it up heaps), and use Column view (easier to read websites). Pressing 'z' while browsing toggles between Column view and norma desktop view and 'j' refreshes browser with Java script enabled.

11-30-10 03:45 AM
    I'm on Optus as well. Opera mini still uses normal BIS data or blackberry data so you can use it without any additional charges. The only time you should get charged for using WAP data is if you launch the Optus Browser icon or WAP browser which is why I always hide it to prevent clicking on it by accident. Even watching clips via m.youtube will not incur additional charges if you are using Internet Browser (even though a pop up warns that you may get charged). Also, if you don't like native, you can always configure it to disable Java scripts (will speed it up heaps), and use Column view (easier to read websites). Pressing 'z' while browsing toggles between Column view and norma desktop view and 'j' refreshes browser with Java script enabled.
    Awesome!! Thanks for that. Just one more thing, whenever anyone calls me it comes up as unknown number even if it is someone in my contact list how do I fix this?

11-30-10 04:25 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD