Does anyone know if there is a version of opera that works on the 9670? bolt seems the keyboard layout is screwed up. i always liked opera on my touch pro but im really liking the blackberry os6 now.
    11-21-10 09:54 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry Bowhunt

I checked about 2 weeks ago for a version and did not find one...so unless Opera has released one since then, I'm afraid it's a no go at this point.
    11-24-10 09:52 AM
    Have you tried m.opera.com on your blackberry browser?
    11-24-10 09:56 AM
    I have at least. Opera 5.1 starts to download and fails every time at install.
    11-24-10 10:13 AM
    I can get it to download but, it doesn't perform well. On the homepage, it jumps over my favorites so, I'm assuming they haven't made an updated version for the 9670 yet.
    11-24-10 03:21 PM
    I still use opera mini 4 on my pearl flip. 5 never worked right on it.

you can go to the advanced or other(?) options on the m.opera.com page.
    11-25-10 09:04 PM
    I installed mini 4 and it worked but the buttons were all screwed up and annoyed me to the point of uninstalling. The blackberry menu key only allowed to close or switch application and if you pressed a link with the trackpad it acted as the back key. The only way to get anything to work was by using the "p" and "q" buttons and using the enter key instead of pressing the trackpad. It was annoying, but it worked. I tried mini 5 and it seemed to work for everything except moving the cursor around in a page to select a link was a crap shoot. It was mostly unresponsive and definitely not for daily use! I tried mini 4.2 and it said the download failed at the end and didn't install.
    01-09-11 01:40 AM
    One quick note with Opera Mini on the style...

If you visit m.opera.com, you'll be given the link to download the Java version, not the Blackberry version. That version will, most likely, fail to download.

You have to go to "Advanced" (or other download options) and manually pick the blackberry version.
    MsFabulous likes this.
    01-09-11 05:53 PM
    I've had the same problems with OperaMini on my Style ...
    I installed 5 with no problems but using it was tedious.
    I also tried 4.2, making sure to choose the Blackberry option. That version would not install at all. It tried, but I could never get the browser to open.

... And I have had the same problem with the Bolt keyboard layout - is there a thread for that ?
    01-19-11 02:00 PM
    I've had the same problems with OperaMini on my Style ...
    I installed 5 with no problems but using it was tedious.
    I also tried 4.2, making sure to choose the Blackberry option. That version would not install at all. It tried, but I could never get the browser to open.

... And I have had the same problem with the Bolt keyboard layout - is there a thread for that ?
    I re-installed 4.2 and it was working fine minus the odd controls. I saw another thread that mentioned someone using 5.1 and just having to move the cursor around slowly. I then re-installed 5.1 for Blackberry and it now works! You do have to be patient with the trackpad but I'm already used to it. If it doesn't work I suggest re-installing it as this worked for me. I have since removed 4.2 and am using 5.1. I'm actually typing from it right now. Its FAST too... Well, mobile sites are a little faster, but I went to mmajunkie.com and it literally loaded in a few seconds vs. over a minute with the stock browser. Text wrapping is perfect as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 02:48 PM
    I posted a video on YouTube showing a speed test between the stock BB webkit browser and Opera Mini 5.1 if anyone is curious.

757EliasHZ likes this.
    02-04-11 08:06 PM
    I too, LOVED Opera Mini 5.1 (on my Windows Mobile devices) and not having it is still nearly a dealbreaker in carrying my 9670. I fondly pick up a Moto Q9C every few days and consider going back. But even though I've been a candybar phone user for several years and a HEAVY user, the clamshell form factor, and this terrific screen keep me here.

I am typing this from Opera Mini 5.1 , from my BB 9670 right now. And I CAN scroll around in this textbox just fine, but wow... The trackpad is really squirrly otherwise in Opera Mini 5.1. Nearly unusable, for me anyhow.

It's just SO much faster than the Webkit Browser.

When (and if) they finally get the bugs worked out, Windows Mobile will beckon be less, I *think*..., even though it was $10.00/month cheaper on my SERO plan.

Now I'll see if this reply will actually POST from OM5.1. .........NOPE....

I had to copy/paste my reply from OM 5.1 into the webkit browser to send it. Oh well... YMMV

02-13-11 06:09 AM

Now I'll see if this reply will actually POST from
    OM5.1. .........NOPE....
    I had the same problem the the trackpad and posting at first. I deleted OM 5.1 and re-installed and its MUCH better now! (I'm posting this from OM 5.1 and I just woke up so that should tell you how much easier it is to use haha) I went to m.opera.com, selected "other downloads" then I selected Mini 5.1 for BlackBerry. I hope that works for you because I personally couldn't go back to the webkit browser... Its WAY too slow! Good luck

02-13-11 10:30 AM
    "Opera Mini 5.1 for BlackBerry" is the link you're looking for, either from other download options on the mobile site or from your PC followed by install with Desktop Manager.

Some people said the cursor was better on 5.0 Beta 2 (older version) so I tried it... That is even worse, the cursor is super slow (super fast is the lesser of 2 evils), only moves up/down and side to side, and the movement is blocky. The latest version, 5.1, is definitely what you want.

Everything about it blows away BB's attempt at a browser, with only the following exceptions:
    1) The menu is hard to use and crashes the browser sometimes, should be a standard BB menu
    2) Text entry is a complicated affair
    3) Cursor moves at warp speed
    4) Can't do infinitely variable zoom
    5) Lack of options such as disable javascript, open file rather than download, etc.
    02-13-11 07:12 PM
    Scan this code to go directly to the mobile download.

02-13-11 07:36 PM
    We'll, I've been using Opera Mini pretty constantly for a solid week now--anytime I'm browsing on my style.

I HAVE GOTTEN USED to the squirrely cursor movement.

It is the only problem I have really had. The Over The Air install wasn't without glitches and I had to do a couple of ALT>Rt. SHIFT>DEL key stroke initiated reboots. But other than that, I've been really happy. It utterly blows away the native browser for speed, on most sites.

Unless I need the graphics, I'm not going back to the Webkit Browser this time.

Give it a try!! But be patient...
    02-18-11 09:12 AM
    A few tips... I have found the cursor to be most out of control when dealing with the menu bar. Using the shortcuts helps avoid this... "#4" brings up the tiled start page and "#5" is bookmarks. If entering a new address the menu position seems to default to the address bar so pressing the enter key on the keyboard will allow text input without moving the cursor. The main reason I use the menu is to close the app and I find that if you hit "menu" then move the cursor to the left it pulls up the exit button. I also find if the trackpad is going crazy if you lift your thumb off of it then try again its usually much better. It seems to like a "flicking" motion. I can't wait for an official OS6 version! The cursor can be annoying but the speed and layout are too nice to go back to the webkit browser!

02-18-11 11:17 AM
    This may be a restatement of someone else's discovery. It seems so elementary...

Page up, page down and to a lesser degree, left and right seem to work! When on a page you wish to scroll around on, just press 2, 8, 6, or 4. Press 8 to page down, 2 to page up, etc, like arrow keys.

I am now using Opera Mini *nearly* exclusively. Blinding fast, really. Light graphics, but somehow, even those render quicker than Webkit Browser.

YMMV.

Stan.

Last edited by goldwingnut54; 02-21-11 at 02:04 PM.
    02-20-11 08:10 PM
    What's this about graphics? Pages look identical to what's displayed in the other browser. You're not using Mobile View are you?

Regarding a previous post, after entering text in the reply box, you have to click the trackpad or back button. The page will reload but your text will be there ready to submit.

The 5 key also zooms in and out. When using the keys to scroll and you want the cursor back, click the trackpad.

When you want to view images or select text, hold the trackpad down until a menu pops up.

I have just about stopped using the Webkit browser except where it pops up automatically. When clicking a link in an app like Facebook you even get the option to open in Opera Mini.
    Last edited by Ray III; 02-20-11 at 11:40 PM.
    goldwingnut54 likes this.
    02-20-11 11:37 PM
    Excellent! Didn't know about the 5 key zoom!

On the issue of graphics, I am all confused about WAP, Storm WAP, WAP3, Mobile view, I dunno....

I don't think I'm in mobile view in OM5.1, at least it isn't checked on the settings menu. It just looks different to me than on the 9670 Webkit Browser, and I MUCH prefer it. I don't need graphics for the lions share of what I look at on the web. I just read, mostly.

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on any of this stuff. I just found that I can INDEED use OM5.1, and it is very nearly as good as it was on my Q9C, which was a mature platform for Opera.

Any other tips on using Opera Mini browser will be much appreciated!

Stan

Oh, one other thing Ray III, it was me who stated I couldn't post to this forum from OM5.1. You're right. I wasn't clicking the cursor on the trackpad in the text entry box. That does indeed let you send your reply. Thanks!
    Last edited by goldwingnut54; 02-21-11 at 02:07 PM.
    02-21-11 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD