It's all about pluses and minuses...for you and me.

In my short testing based on my current OS of OOAKDPC497 with 548patch over .451 base:

Speed? - open of http://m.crackberry.com was nearly identical to the BB browser. Whereas, with there was a significant speed advantage of OM5b2 over the BB Browser in official .320. There seems to be some speed improvement in the BB Browser in the higher Java versions used in the hybrids.

Functionality? - I don't see where touching and pausing until something opens is faster than normal touch and click of the Storm platform. Selecting things seem slower to me.

Only two levels of zoom - OM5 only has one zoom in level and then back to normal. The BB Browser has many levels of zoom.

Tabs and Bookmarks are nicer in OM5.

Google as default search engine in OM5 is also nicer.

I can't say that OM5 is better than the BB Browser...just different in some ways better and someways not. Neither is the answer.
    03-17-10 12:22 AM
    cant get bookmarks to sync. Speed dial does but I get no bookmarks. Anyone else able to sync bookmarks with your desktop?
    I lost all my links and ended up reentering manually. I noticed that desktop OM has a section specifically for mobile sites. Did you look in the desktop app bookmarks in mobile? Hopefully they are there. Redoing them was a pain (although I did clean up some bad links while at it).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 05:45 AM
    I don't know, I'm debating reloading the beta 2 (if thats even possible). Although I love OM5, this new "official" version has taken away some of the little things that I really find I'm missing when compared with beta 2, such as:

• The omission of the back/zoom out button in fullscreen mode (I know I've mentioned this 100 times already) is a HUGE annoyance.
    • Favicons (web page icons) not displaying in Bookmarks page for many mainstream sites without intense tweaking (and even still some don't display as they would on beta 2)
    • I do not care for the way landscape display shows Speed Dials

Regarding my first bullet, it was so much easier just having to tap that little button to go back instead of clicking down the BB Menu and hitting the arrow. I know this sounds picky, but the way it was worked perfectly for me - sometimes I can't be clicking the screen down when I'm in a meeting and like the quiet "tapping" that Opera provides. The less clicking of buttons, the better for me when browsing.

These are all personal preferences, but I favor the beta version and I don't see much, if any, changes where this is an improvement over the beta. I've probably been toying with this thing for 8+ hours or so, so it isn't like I haven't given it the chance. Maybe I'll keep playing with it and see if it can't grow on me...
    No offense, but you shoulda spoke up back in beta stage, I recall seeing many, many posts of people complaining that pressing the BB menu or the back button did nothing, they listened and they incorporated it in the final product.
    03-17-10 06:13 AM
    I'm not trying to be mean, but out of curiosity, where is this gibberish coming from that Opera Mini 5 is NOT faster than the BB browser? I personally think it's about four or five times faster to fully render one webpage. A regular page too, not a mobile version.

I HIGHLY recommend Opera 5 to anyone with a Storm(2).
    03-17-10 06:52 AM
    I'm still experiencing the issue where sometimes forum responses post and sometimes they don't. However in beta 2 I could go back to where I had typed my post. Unfortunately I was never able to copy it from there. In this version I can't even get back to what I had typed. Because it's so unreliable with posting (posted fine with the first post I did this a.m. and during the same session it would not post a 2nd one) I may end up sticking with the BB browser. It's very frustrating to type out a long post and be unable to copy it or even get it back when it refuses to post. And there's no warning or rhyme or reason for it.
    03-17-10 07:04 AM
    I'm still experiencing the issue where sometimes forum responses post and sometimes they don't. However in beta 2 I could go back to where I had typed my post. Unfortunately I was never able to copy it from there. In this version I can't even get back to what I had typed. Because it's so unreliable with posting (posted fine with the first post I did this a.m. and during the same session it would not post a 2nd one) I may end up sticking with the BB browser. It's very frustrating to type out a long post and be unable to copy it or even get it back when it refuses to post. And there's no warning or rhyme or reason for it.
    Not sayin it is or isn't, but it could be the forum too.....
    03-17-10 07:16 AM
    i'm not trying to be mean, but out of curiosity, where is this gibberish coming from that opera mini 5 is not faster than the bb browser? I personally think it's about four or five times faster to fully render one webpage. A regular page too, not a mobile version.

I highly recommend opera 5 to anyone with a storm(2).
    +100...... :d
    03-17-10 07:17 AM
    I'm not trying to be mean, but out of curiosity, where is this gibberish coming from that Opera Mini 5 is NOT faster than the BB browser? I personally think it's about four or five times faster to fully render one webpage. A regular page too, not a mobile version.
    Give some examples. With OM5 I keep getting the mobile versions even though I type in the regular address. And what OS are you running?

I finally found a website that wouldn't default to mobile and OM5 was twice as fast as the BB Browser in my OS version.
    Last edited by BB_Storm4me; 03-17-10 at 08:08 AM.
    03-17-10 07:58 AM
    Ok its working and I enjoy it. However I want to use the multitap keyboard when entering URLs and passwords, not the "phone type" of keyboard that pops up. I'd also like to be able to zoom in closer when possible instead of just having one zoom level.
    03-17-10 09:21 AM
    With OM5 I keep getting the mobile versions even though I type in the regular address.
    A lot of sites automatically detect the bb ip address and the site defaults to the mobile version. If you turn off "mobile" setting, this won't happen.
    03-17-10 09:37 AM
    Hey guys I downloaded Opera after having and loving the beta for so long! It installed fine how ever when i get to the agreements page it wont let me press accept any help would be great on this. (Compatibilty is turned off) Thanks again
    03-17-10 09:51 AM
    is there a way to modify a url in somewhere in the middle instead of having to delete the tail end all the way back? I can scroll left and right to see the entire string, but cant seem to be able to change my cursor position to modify.
    03-17-10 09:58 AM
    i downloaded this as soon as it was twittered from CB i love it only browser that lets me access my online classes!
    03-17-10 10:16 AM
    Wow! Much improved

03-17-10 08:22 PM
    Any way to backup your start page for OS updates? or sync with opera on your PC. Opera mini 4.2 did this for me.
    03-17-10 11:47 PM
    Any way to backup your start page for OS updates? or sync with opera on your PC. Opera mini 4.2 did this for me.
    Start up your beta version of opera (before you delete it to download the new version), go to settings, turn opera link on, sign up for a new account, and it will automatically upload your browser setting to some server on the web. Then delete the beta, download the new opera mini 5 (from m.opera.com), launch it, go back to settings, turn opera link back on, sign in, and it will download your bookmarks. Unfortunately, it will not set your speed dial entries back like you had them.
    03-18-10 10:14 AM
    Ok I love this version of opera but I am having troubles....when I type in a URL or google something from the opera home screen I can't get them to load and go through?I an totally stumped here as dumb as it may be!

03-18-10 12:03 PM
    I've been getting an error today saying "Unable to connect. Please review your network settings."

Is anyone else getting this error? It was working fine last night and then today all of the sudden nothing. Maybe their servers are down or something?
    03-18-10 12:05 PM
    I am so happy Opera remembers passwords again
    03-18-10 12:39 PM
    Still doesnt work with boygeniusreport.com for some reason.
    03-22-10 09:34 AM
    you know how alot of people have been complaining about the font size in opera 5. Well i received my replacement storm 2 today and had to redownload all my programs. When i downloaded opera 5 and installed i went surfing. The fonts are back to there normal size. The size they were in the beta. I use to run the font size on large just to see. Now its on small. Dont know how this happened but i like it. The replacement storm 2 is awesome. great screen click and nice non tilted screen.
    03-22-10 12:04 PM
    This opera is not good on some forums...I click one thread and it takes me to a completely different thread...also most of the time when I click on a thread it just reloads the page...it took me 5 minutes to open a thread because of this...wtf is going on? Am I the only person with this issue?

03-22-10 03:04 PM
    This opera is not good on some forums...I click one thread and it takes me to a completely different thread...also most of the time when I click on a thread it just reloads the page...it took me 5 minutes to open a thread because of this...wtf is going on? Am I the only person with this issue?

I've had that same issue. Not sure what causes it but it seems to come and go.

03-22-10 03:10 PM
    I've had that same issue. Not sure what causes it but it seems to come and go.

Yeah opera 4.2 worked flawlessly on storm 2 with stock os, after downloading the first leak it screwed everything up
    03-22-10 04:37 PM
    One question for you all, how the heck do you zoom in and out on the S2?? I can't figure it out at all! Thanks
    It ain't obvious and there's no real user manual. I've found that zooming depends on the website. For example, I use two different weather maps.

One is from the Nat'l. Weather Service. To zoom in on it, hover over the map with your finger until the little menu appears (your finger will be blocking your view of it). Then touch "open image". You'll get one degree of zoom.

My other map is from AccuWeather.com. It gives numerous degrees of zoom. (1) hover over the image, get the little menu and tap "open image". This will move the map to the upper left hand corner and present a new menu (2) Touch "zoom image" on this menu. You then get three choices of types of zoom. (3) Touch your choice. A single tap on the new screen will then give you full screen if you want it. (4) THEN, after step 3, press the "blackberry" menu key at the bottom and you'll get a new menu. One choice on it is "zoom in". (5) Click on the "zoom in" choice. (6) Repeat the preceding step to zoom in farther. I haven't checked to see how far you can zoom, but it's at least several additional degrees. This set of steps is not available for the NWS weather map -- just the accuweather one.

On the BBC website, I can only get one degree of zoom by tapping the screen that I want to expand.

Has anyone located a good, overall users' guide to OperaMini for the 9550?

Bob
    03-22-10 05:37 PM
125 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD