5 Beta 2 runs great, actually, I thought it ran perfect. Many of you say this is soooo much better than the beta. What about this new version is better.
    Find out yourself. You won't tegret it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'd love to see someone get specific as to what's so much better. Seems the same as the beta. This thread is starting to feel like a pyramid scheme to me.
    03-16-10 11:36 AM
    @tuc15 tap twice on the screen to zoom in and out
    03-16-10 11:41 AM
    Finally. This thing has been in beta forever.

03-16-10 11:43 AM
    This thread is starting to feel like a pyramid scheme to me.

LOL! I love the way you phrased that!
    03-16-10 11:54 AM
    One thing I'm REALLY missing is the menu that used to pop up when clicking external links that offered the choice to open in either the native browser or in OM. The beta had this feature.

03-16-10 11:57 AM
    Which protocol is better and why: http or socket?

Someone who knows...no guessing please.

http seems to be much faster for me, but the verdict is still out.

I hope a mod consolidates these 2 threads under 3rd party apps. This one is growing much faster.

03-16-10 12:21 PM
    I'd love to see someone get specific as to what's so much better. Seems the same as the beta. This thread is starting to feel like a pyramid scheme to me.
    I agree. I can't see the difference. Doesn't seem much different than the beta.

Also it would have been nice it the UI responded to proper clicks on the screen rather than just tapping the screen (like other touch screen phones).

Graham.
    03-16-10 12:46 PM
    I had the beta for a while,, didnt really care for it.. tried this official release and didnt notice much difference over the beta. Running tanks act 2 Hybrid, my native browser is much faster than opera mini. OM wasnt buggy or anything,, just the blackberry browser is much better for me running tanks hybrid.
    Back to good ol Personal preference again!
    03-16-10 12:48 PM
    Also it would have been nice it the UI responded to proper clicks on the screen rather than just tapping the screen (like other touch screen phones).

Graham.
    This app was not built for the storm 2 but for several platforms so that is why it does not click and never will unless they make a separate app
    03-16-10 12:50 PM
    The cursor is better in some ways than the beta. It doesn't skip page elements now, which was a real problem when filling forms, and it can now move diagonally.

But the movement is still kinda wonky. Another bit of disappointment is that the new animated UI is still laggy, you just can't escape Apple's influence. Oh well.

It's a good browser otherwise, much faster than webKit will ever be. I also appreciate the bookmark sync and password manager.
    03-16-10 12:51 PM
    Which protocol is better and why: http or socket?

Someone who knows...no guessing please.

http seems to be much faster for me, but the verdict is still out.

I hope a mod consolidates these 2 threads under 3rd party apps. This one is growing much faster.

What is the difference between �http connection� and �socket connection�?

If you choose to use �socket connection�, Opera Mini will keep an open connection to the Opera Mini servers. This means that pages will load quicker, and the Opera Mini servers can push updates (for example new bookmarks through Opera Link) directly to Opera Mini on your phone.

If you choose �http connection�, Opera Mini has to establish a connection to the Opera Mini servers every time you load a page. New updates to Opera Mini will also not be pushed to the phone until a new page is loaded. Note: not all phone models and mobile networks allow socket connections. If you have problems with your connection, try to use �http connection� instead.

Opera Mini Help
    03-16-10 12:52 PM
    In settings, Mobile View and Full Screen are both defaulted to a setting of Off. Does anyone ever turn either of these On, and if so, what's the difference? I will be trying it myself...just wondered if anybody else has strong opinions about it.
    03-16-10 12:58 PM
    In settings, Mobile View and Full Screen are both defaulted to a setting of Off. Does anyone ever turn either of these On, and if so, what's the difference? I will be trying it myself...just wondered if anybody else has strong opinions about it.
    mobile view is to display the website in one single column(scroll up and down only)

full screen just gets rid of the address bar and bottom toolbar and can be used in regular or mobile view
    hitting the blackberry button will bring both bars back up
    03-16-10 01:03 PM
    This app was not built for the storm 2 but for several platforms so that is why it does not click and never will unless they make a separate app
    Surely the Storm 2 port was "built" for the Storm 2? For example it contains other elements which would have to have been writing explicitly for the Storm 2 - for example the menu in the Messages app that allows you to launch links in OM instead of the Native Browser.

Graham.
    03-16-10 01:25 PM
    Surely the Storm 2 port was "built" for the Storm 2? For example it contains other elements which would have to have been writing explicitly for the Storm 2 - for example the menu in the Messages app that allows you to launch links in OM instead of the Native Browser.

Graham.
    Yeah i see what your saying but all the features are still pretty generic across all platforms and almost identical. I'm just saying that they are not spending extra time making extra features for specific phones like making the screen click. The menu in the Messages app that allows you to launch links in OM instead of the Native Browser is no longer present and was never built specifically for the storm 2
    03-16-10 01:35 PM

Graham.
    Not a good example... But the one the original poster used actually was. Its easy to tell that mini 5 WAS built specifically for the touchscreen storm series because there is no select and confirm (with a click) action like there would have to be with a trackball/pad or non-specific app. For example, if the storm version was the same as other devices, then as soon as you rolled of something and highlighted it, it would select the link. This is obviously not the case. The opera programmers obviously chose to listen to all the people that complained about having to click the screen. Not my preference, but its a nice touch at times.

03-16-10 01:37 PM
    The opera programmers obviously chose to listen to all the people that complained about having to click the screen.
    Complained? Opera mini has NEVER had the click screen option but only touch
    03-16-10 01:45 PM
    The menu in the Messages app that allows you to launch links in OM instead of the Native Browser is no longer present and was never built specifically for the storm 2
    I uninstalled OMBeta, rebooted phone, installed OM5 and I have the Open in Opera Mini menu option on Messages. So it mustn't have been removed - also noticed it actually works properly now and will launch a link even if OM is already open.

Graham.
    03-16-10 01:51 PM
    perhaps i am missing something, but is there anyway to get the "touch" virtual keyboard listed in the features on the opera mini site? i would like to override the blackberry system keyboard with a touch only version if possible, since the browsing interface is entirely touch (no click) anyway.
    03-16-10 02:31 PM
    perhaps i am missing something, but is there anyway to get the "touch" virtual keyboard listed in the features on the opera mini site? i would like to override the blackberry system keyboard with a touch only version if possible, since the browsing interface is entirely touch (no click) anyway.
    Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but am pretty sure that was an option in one of the earlier beta's..
    03-16-10 03:14 PM
    Complained? Opera mini has NEVER had the click screen option but only touch
    He meant that for awhile there was quite a few threads of people complaining of the click in general, therefore OM musta listened and didn't make it a click-able app.
    03-16-10 03:17 PM
    Yeah i see what your saying but all the features are still pretty generic across all platforms and almost identical. I'm just saying that they are not spending extra time making extra features for specific phones like making the screen click. The menu in the Messages app that allows you to launch links in OM instead of the Native Browser is no longer present and was never built specifically for the storm 2
    Not exactly sure how you figure that, do you know of another "touchscreen" blackberry besides the Storm and given the beta 5-1&2 were touch apps as well as the release today, how can you say it wasn't designed for the Storm.

The 4 series was the GENERIC one for the trackball blackberrys
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 03-16-10 at 03:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    03-16-10 03:22 PM
    Not exactly sure how you figure that, do you know of another "touchscreen" blackberry besides the Storm and given the beta 5-1&2 were touch apps as well as the release today, how can you say it wasn't designed for the Storm.

The 4 series was the GENERIC one for the trackball blackberrys
    Read the whole post. Maybe i worded it wrong. I said that the feature of being able to open a link in opera mini was never built specifically for the storm. If you think this option is only available on the storm, then you should go try another phone or read up a little.

the features are still pretty generic across all platforms and almost identical

My point is that they are no extra features for opera mini across the platforms. OM 4,5 1&2 are still generic across the platforms other then making it compatible with each device.
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 03-16-10 at 03:31 PM.
    03-16-10 03:26 PM
    Read the whole post. Maybe i worded it wrong. I said that the feature of being able to open a link in opera mini was never built specifically for the storm. If you think this option is only available on the storm, then you should go try another phone or read up a little.

the features are still pretty generic across all platforms and almost identical

My point is that they are no extra features for opera mini across the platforms. OM 4,5 1&2 are still generic across the platforms other then making it compatible with each device.
    Yeah, guess I misread that like your post in #67, my bad....
    03-16-10 03:41 PM
    Opera Mini (beta or not) is in comparison with the native browser a blessing.

Downloaded the "official" release and could not be more happier.

The native browser on 2G/EDGE is a real punishment for the frequent online visitors.
    03-16-10 03:46 PM
125 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD