I love my bb9700 and opera mini 5

But I was thinking....it would be so much better if the cursor would move as smoothly as the bb's native browser.

That + adobe flash support would make BlackBerry .... Perfect, imo.

What do you guys think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 06:56 PM
    I think it has a lot of room to improve. I use it quite a bit now, but I still need to keep bolt and the native browser around because I can't stand how the UI is so exclusive from the rest of my blackberry. I want to copy and paste. I want to download images. I want to hit the menu button and have the same menu come up that comes up for everything else. And I want a quick way to clost the thing without it asking me if I'm sure. (if I already hit a button, fumbled around until the cursor is highlighting the right icon, then hit a different button, then Yes, I am SURE)
    I wouldn't imagine it's a complicated task. If some developer came along and combined the best elements of bolt and opera without the frustrations of either, it would blow them both away.
    Opera 5 is beautiful. But they go too far trying to make the UI intuitive and end up doing the opposite.

02-01-10 10:00 PM
    * I want to copy and paste.

* I want to download images.
    You may already know this, but to copy and paste text in OM5b2, you can hold in the trackball button and a select/copy/paste menu will pop up. You can also access this with the "1" key.

To download pics, place the cursor over a pic and press and hold the trackball button. A menu will pop up that says Open Image/Save Image.
    02-01-10 10:06 PM
    You may already know this, but to copy and paste text in OM5b2, you can hold in the trackball button and a select/copy/paste menu will pop up. You can also access this with the "1" key.

To download pics, place the cursor over a pic and press and hold the trackball button. A menu will pop up that says Open Image/Save Image.
    Hey thanks. That makes things much better already. (where else can you hold the track button?)

02-01-10 10:11 PM
    where else can you hold the track button?

On a link. It will pop up a menu and ask you if you want to open it in a new tab.
    02-01-10 10:13 PM
    You can also hit * then scroll down to close a tab.

OM5b2 absolutely rocks once you learn all the shortcuts and tricks. It blows the doors off of the native browser.
    02-01-10 10:19 PM

....it would be so much better if the cursor would move as smoothly as the bb's native browser.
    Agreed. However, if you force yourself to start using the 2 (up), 6 (right), 8 or space (down) and 4 (left), it makes scrolling through long pages a breeze. I'm betting/hoping they will smooth out the cursor in the final release.
    02-01-10 10:24 PM
    The biggest problem with Opera is the cursor. Everything else is near perfect. The cursor is the exact reason why I switched to Bolt, much smoother.
    02-01-10 11:08 PM
    The biggest problem with Opera is the cursor. Everything else is near perfect. The cursor is the exact reason why I switched to Bolt, much smoother.
    I feel like opera's cursor is smoother than bolt. Bolt felt like crap to browse with, to put it simply. Bolt would be fine on a non-smartphone.

Opera + smooth native browser-like cursor = win imho
    ....And flash I feel like may be pushing it, but I guess I don't know the reason why it hasn't? Who knows.

02-02-10 03:34 AM
    I can't tell you how many times I've had to zoom out, move the window, re-zoom, just to be able to click a damn box! Geez.

02-02-10 09:48 AM
    I have a Storm2, and I've found that Opera5.2 has lots of minor problems (of just things that I can't get to work). There a few message boards that it doesn't recognize the input field to post in, and cutting and pasting or opening links doesn't work smoothly either.
    02-02-10 11:48 AM
    I also switched to Bolt a year ago, and I won't go near Opera until the cursor problem is fixed. It's horribly annoying to scroll and scroll with the trackball and not have the cursor move very far.
    02-02-10 11:50 AM
    I think it has a lot of room to improve. I use it quite a bit now, but I still need to keep bolt and the native browser around because I can't stand how the UI is so exclusive from the rest of my blackberry. I want to copy and paste. I want to download images. I want to hit the menu button and have the same menu come up that comes up for everything else. And I want a quick way to clost the thing without it asking me if I'm sure. (if I already hit a button, fumbled around until the cursor is highlighting the right icon, then hit a different button, then Yes, I am SURE)
    I wouldn't imagine it's a complicated task. If some developer came along and combined the best elements of bolt and opera without the frustrations of either, it would blow them both away.
    Opera 5 is beautiful. But they go too far trying to make the UI intuitive and end up doing the opposite.

I think the UI is very good. It has nice big buttons that are easy to hit. Another great quality of the UI is its zooming. I'm not too sure about the auto-opening menu in the middle or the animated hiding of the UI, but they aren't dreadful.

One thing I prefer about Mini 4 over both Mini 5 and Bolt is that Mini 4 places the loading bar across the bottom of the screen. If we read pages top-down, which I assume most of us do, then why would a professional designer temporarily cover the top of the page with a loading bar?
    02-02-10 11:56 AM
    I love my bb9700 and opera mini 5

But I was thinking....it would be so much better if the cursor would move as smoothly as the bb's native browser.

That + adobe flash support would make BlackBerry .... Perfect, imo.

What do you guys think?

I agree! It's the best browser for BB.
    02-02-10 02:02 PM
    Wery nice browser! I gave them several fedback and they took care of those.
    02-02-10 08:39 PM
    I am enjoying this much more after knowing these shortcuts. But can anyone give a list of all of them? Because, the help menu within opera itself doesn't even mention long hold or the navigation shortcuts, and a search here doesn't cover navigation.

I just figured much of it out, but are there any other "unlisted" key commands like the navigation numbers? Someone should really make a more complete list. I like opera now, but this is like the tenth time I've tried it out.
    Last edited by boobah204; 02-02-10 at 09:17 PM.
    02-02-10 09:02 PM
    As previously stated, my gripe is with the cursor. Some sites I just cannot click in the little box, no matter what I do.
    02-02-10 09:27 PM
    ... Someone should really make a more complete list. I like opera now, but this is like the tenth time I've tried it out.
    If you go into Help, Shortcuts, they're all there. The only one absent is the click and hold on the track ball/pad. Typically, anywhere you can click and hold the track pad, you can press 1 for the same context menu.
    02-03-10 12:29 PM
    ...I can't stand how the UI is so exclusive from the rest of my blackberry...I want to hit the menu button and have the same menu come up that comes up for everything else. And I want a quick way to clost the thing without it asking me if I'm sure...
    These are good points and have been mentioned by many (including me) in the Opera Mini forums. Why Opera would create a touch-based interface for a platform that has mostly non-touch device users is questionable and does not work as well as the 4.2 interface. I hope they make some adjustments but I'm not counting on it. I'll continue to use it for the speedy browsing.
    02-03-10 12:33 PM
    One thing I prefer about Mini 4 over both Mini 5 and Bolt is that Mini 4 places the loading bar across the bottom of the screen. If we read pages top-down, which I assume most of us do, then why would a professional designer temporarily cover the top of the page with a loading bar?
    Great observation. I find myself waiting for that bar to go away all the time. You should post that feedback in their forums. The loading bar has been on the bottom since Opera Mini was created, it should stay there.
    02-03-10 12:35 PM
    I quite like this browser if they fixed the cursor problem that would make it almost perfect it is extremely hard to use it to change my fantasy football team. I swear it exits randomly for me sometimes as well.
    02-03-10 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD