I've loaded Opera Mini 5.0 on my Tour and I love it. I read in the forums that there were users complaining about Opera becoming the default browser upon installation. I'm sure they have their reasons, but that's exactly what I wish would have happened to on my phone. I would love to make this my default browser for everything from links in emails to my keyboard shortcut (b) to get to the internet. I'm wondering if there's anyone who knows how to make this happen. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!
    09-18-09 12:56 PM
    I've loaded Opera Mini 5.0 on my Tour and I love it. I read in the forums that there were users complaining about Opera becoming the default browser upon installation. I'm sure they have their reasons, but that's exactly what I wish would have happened to on my phone. I would love to make this my default browser for everything from links in emails to my keyboard shortcut (b) to get to the internet. I'm wondering if there's anyone who knows how to make this happen. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!
    Typically you cannot make anything other than the BB browser your default. Realize that your BB browser is currently required for downloads, so I am wondering if Opera making itself default would mess this up.
    09-18-09 12:59 PM
    Opera made itself default for e-mails, but my BB browser starts up when I hit "b". I doubt you can re-assign the hotkey.
    09-18-09 01:53 PM
    not positive, but you can probably change your "B" shortcut to launch Opera with a 3rd party app like ShortcutMe or QuickLaunch.
    09-18-09 02:01 PM
    well, opera opens when I open a link in ubertwitter or emails which is exactly what I wanted as well. Only one problem, it doesn't actually load the link! When i click on a link on ubertwitter or an email, opera opens but doesn't load the link I clicked, it just sits on whatever page I was last on.

This has become very frustrating since yesterday since I want to keep opera but haven't been able to fix this, I've had to copy and paste links
    09-18-09 02:01 PM
    I only use the OEM BB Browser so I'm not sure this will change anything for you, but have you gone into Browser>Options>Browser Configuration and changed your Browser selection to Opera?
    09-18-09 02:05 PM
    I loaded Opera Mini Beta 5 and it is not my default browser. Thankfully it isn't, I wouldn't want that, but I find it strange that this is happening for some people and not for others.
    09-18-09 02:19 PM
    I was actually trying to load bolt browser as my default and I cannot find a way to do that. I, but haven't tried the new one. If anyone can find a way to do this with any browser please let me know. I might just use the default though until then because I can't use any of my icons that link to sites like espn, twins baseball, etc.
    09-18-09 02:51 PM
    I only use the OEM BB Browser so I'm not sure this will change anything for you, but have you gone into Browser>Options>Browser Configuration and changed your Browser selection to Opera?
    I tried that, but the BB Browser is the only option in the drop down. So frustrating.

I loaded Opera Mini Beta 5 and it is not my default browser. Thankfully it isn't, I wouldn't want that, but I find it strange that this is happening for some people and not for others.
    I saw a few people complaining that they wouldn't want it as their default either, and I don't really understand why. Everyone is downloading it because they are saying it's a better browser. If that's the case, why wouldn't you want to use it for everything?

I think it's so strange that it's switching to default for some and not others, yet there's no setting to change the default. I wonder if it's a result of some people having a leaked OS vs. an official OS?
    09-18-09 02:55 PM
    I tried that, but the BB Browser is the only option in the drop down. So frustrating.

I saw a few people complaining that they wouldn't want it as their default either, and I don't really understand why. Everyone is downloading it because they are saying it's a better browser. If that's the case, why wouldn't you want to use it for everything?

I think it's so strange that it's switching to default for some and not others, yet there's no setting to change the default. I wonder if it's a result of some people having a leaked OS vs. an official OS?
    I use the Opera or Bolt browser if I want to load full pages, and there are very few things I check on my phone where that is a necessity. For everything else, I stick with the default browser. It works just fine for me for mobile websites. Plus, the Opera UI is a bit too bloated right now. Its a good progression, but definitely needs to be trimmed down.
    09-18-09 03:04 PM
    Opera became my default browser. I don't mind except when I click on links to download app it opens Opera which can't handle app downloads.
    09-18-09 03:14 PM
    u can choose to open it with opera by pressing the BB button when u have a link to a website highlighted. you should see open with opera mini as the first option

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD