Has anyone tried Opera Mini 5.0 on their 8350i yet?
    Please post the good...the bad..
    09-16-09 08:17 AM
    hmmmm i heard about a release coming in about 2 weeks, i dont know why they would be still beta testing. as soon as my phone reboots i will try it out
    09-16-09 08:26 AM
    the first screen.... we detected 8350i, "we have not verified that opera 5 works on your phone, but feel free to try"

IT WORKS, ITS LOOKS GREAT

http://m.opera.com/next OTA

Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world Desktop, i dont know which on to DL. they do not list 4.6
    09-16-09 08:31 AM
    well the first thing i noticed is that you no longer have to go into your settings and switch to WIFI.... and its OEM theme friendly!!!

i gotta do some running around, i will continue to try it and post, but go get it and try it for yourself
    09-16-09 08:42 AM
    i got the same message on my Tour. it detected my model and said may not be compatible. Works fine though!

09-16-09 08:54 AM
    so far..... i will put it through the tests....
    09-16-09 09:04 AM
    so far..... i will put it through the tests....
    I like it! Nice GUI....no problems found....yet!
    09-16-09 09:15 AM
    I just downloaded opera mini beta 5 and I love the look but its a little slower then 4.2 version. I have the 8350i and I wanted to know if someone know how toi erase a tab that's open thankz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 10:34 AM
    I downloaded but when I open it goes to a Font Data Calculation screen tried once did not open browser trying again now. What is this mean
    09-16-09 10:59 AM
    how did you download it? OTA or computer?
    09-16-09 11:04 AM
    It works well on my 8350i. I downloaded it OTA using the link in the first post (also the link on the crackberry.com post).

It's a little slow when moving around the webpages once loaded, but the 8350i is not the fastest berry around so I think it's very acceptable.

Opening web pages over WiFi is incredibly fast (compared to the BB browser). When using iDEN it works very well too. It has a cache and that helps a lot.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that when searching on google, the results page has some links that are not clickable unless I move the page down and then come back up.

The GUI is clean and organized, and even though it's animated the 8350i moves between options smoothly.

Give it a try.
    09-16-09 12:18 PM
    Having that I have used OM since 3.0 on various iDen phones, this beta has a way to go. The GUI is a nice change and it looks like a promising release, once it comes out of beta. For me its much slower and its response is laggy over 4.2. It will be a learning curve since many shortcuts have changed. For a beta its a start, but its still not ready for primetime.

09-16-09 01:16 PM
    The gui is top notch and most pages load fast. It seems to have a little trouble rendering the busy pages here on dear crackberry (bolt handles these better) but all in all-- great! The tabbed pages alone are enough reason to keep this one around.
    09-16-09 08:52 PM
    I like that it detects WiFi automatically, but I'm not too crazy about the interface. I dont like how the buttons are configured with the drop down menu for Bookmarks and settings.

I had the setting at Small font on ESPN.mobi and if you try to select "Fantasy", it will skip past it.

Other than the small font not really working on the 8350i, I like it. About the same loading times for the sites I normally use in OM 4. Tabbed browsing is just great!
    09-17-09 06:46 AM
    im using it now, its great besides the thing about small fonts, and the autodelete is actually too fast. im also used to how BB spoiled me with autocorrect in capitalization and punctuation. i dont see a difference in speed between the two. though wifi is amazing on the beta. thing is, dont know how it works with hotspots that redirect to a login like starbucks or an airport. annnnnd, i dont see how to remove the first 3 speed dial pages. fix all this, and they have a damn good program.

09-17-09 05:43 PM
    i dont see how to remove the first 3 speed dial pages.
    click and hold the trackball while on top of one, it will give you the option to clear or delete
    09-17-09 10:26 PM
    The only thing I've noticed so far is that when searching on google, the results page has some links that are not clickable unless I move the page down and then come back up.
    I noticed the same problem while browsing some forums, but like you posted if you scroll down then back up you can select the link
    09-17-09 10:29 PM
    I just downloaded opera mini beta 5 and I love the look but its a little slower then 4.2 version. I have the 8350i and I wanted to know if someone know how toi erase a tab that's open thankz.

click bb button to open menu
    scroll all way up to highlight tab
    click bb button then close tab
    09-17-09 10:31 PM
    I downloaded OTA, so far I love it, but need to figure a way to copy clip a web address, there was a trick with the old version.

You could click menu, enter address, scroll to insert symbol, and then from there hit bb button to select and copy the web adress you where on
    09-17-09 10:33 PM
    Works great for me and even with the OEM theme. Which I love because the OEM theme is my favorite (I know, call me boring).

AND it allows me to save favorites which V4 never allowed me to do even with the theme that worked with the menus.

THANKS OPERA!
    09-17-09 11:01 PM
    just remember, this is a beta and not all the features have been added yet.... it can only get better!!!
    09-17-09 11:08 PM
    Giddyup! What do I need to do to enable the motion component of these weather gif images?

DC Area Weather:
    http://images.intellicast.com/WxImag..._None_anim.gif

FL Area weather:
    http://images.intellicast.com/WxImag..._None_anim.gif
    the following BlackBerry keyboard shortcuts for Opera Mini 5 beta.

The numeral keys on your full-QWERTY BlackBerry are used to page up, down, left and right within Opera Mini 5, as well as to zoom in and out on a page. For example:

* 2 = Page Up

* 8 = Page Down

* 4 = Page Left

* 6 = Page Right

* 5= Zoom In/Out

Your Enter key works to confirm selections, or click a link, just like a tap of the trackball.

The letter "Q" is the main Opera Mini 5 "shortcut key." Various numeral keys can be pressed along with the letter "Q" to activate browsing shortcuts. For instance:

* Q + 1: Clear Page of Cursor, Selection Box

* Q + 2: Show Blank URL Field to Navigate to New Page

* Q + 3: Search for Specific Text on a Page

* Q + 4: Access "Speed-Dial" Home Screen

* Q + 5: View of Add to Bookmarks

* Q + 6: View Browsing History

* Q + 8: Access Browser Settings

* Q + 9: View or Add to Saved Web pages
    Last edited by gatorback; 09-19-09 at 12:36 PM.
    09-19-09 11:18 AM
    the GIF file format may not me "unlocked" yet in the BETA version... not all the features are in this yet.... its still a beta

the "q" button is the # and the "a" button is * for all the shortcuts listed in the help/shortcut section of the menu
    09-19-09 01:03 PM
    The screen design looks nice, but right now OM5 is virtually unusable because the pointer moves in increments of 16 pixels. This causes it to skip over certain links. Basically the screen is divided into a 15x20 grid, and if your link happens to align with this grid, you're in luck. If not, you can't click on it.

Like some others have posted, if you scroll down to the bottom of a page and then back up it MIGHT fix the problem, because the grid MIGHT shift vertically relative the the page, so the pointer MIGHT then skip over other links and stop on the one that you want. But until they give the pointer more precision, it is too frustrating to use.

A possible workaround might be to use larger fonts. I tried reducing the trackball sensitivity in the BB keyboard settings, and this did not affect this grid issue.
    09-22-09 07:01 AM
    Anyone know how to delete the 3 speed dial webpages that are on the main screen when Opera Mini 5.0 first loads?

I like the idea of having my favorite webpages there but don't need the BBC News.
    09-22-09 02:21 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD