Hi all,

I got opera mini running, and I am not able to see the benefit of using this browser. Everything is tiny and it seems to be alot of work zooming in on the link you are intending to see...

Being that alot of people on CB love it, I'm thinking I need tweak the settings for a more enjoyable experience.

Please let me know if Opera Mini is good to go out of the box, or after changing some settings...

Thanks
    06-02-08 08:56 AM
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Also I get a message before the page loads, stating "Opera mini is attempting to access a low level connection": Allow - YES or NO
    06-02-08 10:13 AM
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Also I get a message before the page loads, stating "Opera mini is attempting to access a low level connection": Allow - YES or NO
    um, thats not the same thing.

my pages load fine, and I am not any messages

My question was is there a better way to change the settings to make the page view better>
    06-02-08 11:02 AM
    Hi all,

I got opera mini running, and I am not able to see the benefit of using this browser. Everything is tiny and it seems to be alot of work zooming in on the link you are intending to see...

Being that alot of people on CB love it, I'm thinking I need tweak the settings for a more enjoyable experience.

Please let me know if Opera Mini is good to go out of the box, or after changing some settings...

Thanks
    Hi -

I love Opera Mini for the ability to see web pages as they really are - sometimes mobile views don't line up when you have drop-down boxes, etc. But, I also love the ability to see the mobile view for pages that I'm just reading (blogs or message boards, for example).

Try hitting the number 1 key and you'll have the option to change from Mobile view to full web page view on the fly - awesome shortcut! You can also adjust your settings in Opera to automatically start on the Mobile view.

Hope this helps!
    Tamara
    06-02-08 11:04 AM
    I'm also getting this, just since I switched over from the 8100 to the 8120. I'm running Opera Mini version 4.1 On the 8100, I had the option to "don't ask this again" but I don't see this option on the 8120. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,
    Tamara
    06-02-08 11:06 AM
    I think Opera Mini sucks!!!! Just my opinion.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 11:26 AM
    As far as the low level access permission is concerned, just always select Yes. Otherwise, Opera Mini will not function correctly. This is simply a security prompt that allows the browser to access the internet.
    06-02-08 11:57 AM
    Try to hit an advanced site with the BB Browser and you'll see why people favor OM more. A lot of sites just laugh at the BB Browser.
    06-02-08 01:52 PM
    Try to hit an advanced site with the BB Browser and you'll see why people favor OM more. A lot of sites just laugh at the BB Browser.
    I can see that OM can handle more pages than the BB browser, but my question is that it seems very cumbersome to navigate, especially on a page you are not familiar with. All the zooming in etc....
    I'm curious to know if this is how people use it, or if they use the mobile view that was mentioned earlier.

Thanks
    06-02-08 02:40 PM
    It really isn't hard to use at all. It just seems cumbersome at first because you are used to the native BB browser. If you aren't familiar with a site, simply zoom in and scroll around a bit to look for what you're trying to find. You'll get used to it in time - I swear.
    06-02-08 03:14 PM
    I initially thought the Opera mini was rubbish, but I just it was only when so many sites could not be viewed on the BB Browser, that I persevered! By god I'm glad I did - How did I ever live without it??

Try hitting the number 1 key and you'll have the option to change from Mobile view to full web page view on the fly - awesome shortcut! You can also adjust your settings in Opera to automatically start on the Mobile view.
    1 - Important to know a few shortcuts like above (No.1 Key).
    2 - Use the numbers 2,8,4,6 to scroll the screen quickly.
    3 - Set up your Start Page with your most common sites
    4 - When setting Bookmarks, use the option to automatically retrieve the icon and title
    5 - For speed, under settings... Load images as LOW. You can always increase if needed.
    6 - Dont ever actually CLOSE the Opera mini program, it will speed things up when you want to visit a site quickly. Also, it won't keep asking you to say YES to the low level connection etc.

Also, when going back a page or 10, the cache doesn't reload everytime, so speed is fantastic! In fact, Opera Mini seems to load the pages with images quicker than BB Browser without!!

OMG - I have only had Opera Mini installed for a few days, but it's fantastic!!
    06-02-08 03:25 PM
    Oh, and another quick two shortcuts..

Press '*' and wait 1 sec for your top 10
    Press '#' and wait 1 sec for some furtehr shortcut keys...

:-)
    06-02-08 03:27 PM
    I like to use both. Opera mini is more like a regular browser. When my BB browser jacks up the webpage I'm viewing, I switch over to Opera. I think they're great.
    06-02-08 03:27 PM
    Sorry!!!
    1 more...

the 'n' for next link on same page

If anyone has anymore, I would be grateful!!
    06-02-08 03:29 PM
    I can see that OM can handle more pages than the BB browser, but my question is that it seems very cumbersome to navigate, especially on a page you are not familiar with. All the zooming in etc....
    I'm curious to know if this is how people use it, or if they use the mobile view that was mentioned earlier.

Thanks
    I'm in the same boat. I installed this because a page for mobile speed test required it...but I'm not seeing this as a *great* add-on.

For the record, great to me would be like Jivetalk, or Viigo
    Last edited by WJRobbins; 06-02-08 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
    06-02-08 03:42 PM
    Opera Mini is a great browser. The only thing that pisses me off about it is the fact I can't make it the default browser. I wish when I clicked a link in an email it opened in Opera Mini. Other then that, yea use Mobile View. You wont have to scroll around the page so much.
    06-02-08 03:50 PM
    Opera Mini is a great browser. The only thing that pisses me off about it is the fact I can't make it the default browser. I wish when I clicked a link in an email it opened in Opera Mini. Other then that, yea use Mobile View. You wont have to scroll around the page so much.
    That would be nice, however there is a reason you can't make OM your default browser.. It's because the native BB browser is used to download so many things (apps, etc) to your phone.
    06-02-08 04:03 PM
    If you go into the security menu in options and enable the firewall, when you launch opera again it will ask for permissions one last time, after you allow, it won't give you the permission pop up anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 05:34 PM
    Oh, and another quick two shortcuts..

Press '*' and wait 1 sec for your top 10
    Press '#' and wait 1 sec for some furtehr shortcut keys...

:-)
    Good tips. In addition, you don't have to wait for the list to appear. If you know your shortcuts, you can press "*", then "1-9" immediately after it to go to that link.
    06-02-08 08:20 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks
    For me the best thing about OM was that I could go to all of my forum sites and post from my BB--and that I could go to my bank website and get info......also I liked that the pages looked like the pages I see on my computer--yes, I have to click on a section to see it, but for me, it's a small price to pay to have it look like I am used to seeing it online.
    06-02-08 08:26 PM
    um, thats not the same thing.

my pages load fine, and I am not any messages

My question was is there a better way to change the settings to make the page view better>
    It is too the same thing. Everything is small and you have to zoom in to see it. Everyone's BB shows the info small to where you have to zoom in to see it. Hence, "OPERA MINI" . If you read, I also said, ALSO....I am experiencing ..........
    06-03-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD