I have both the Opera and BlackBerry browsers loaded on my Curve. Sure the Opera browser offers a nice screen format but it cannot be programmed to fully replace the native BlackBerry browser.

Anything that you do on your BlackBerry that requires a browser launch automatically brings up the BlackBerry browser. The native BB browser isn't bad and I really don't find myself using the Opera browser very often even though it's taking space on my Curve. Lately I've been thinking about just removing the Opera browser.

Like to open a thread to chat about the pros and cons of the Opera browser versus the native BlackBerry browser. Let's avoid the vague generalities of things like "I like it better" and drill into a sales pitch on the real strenghts of the Opera browser and why it's worth keeping on your BB.

Any thoughts?
    05-09-08 03:24 AM
    Ever since Opera has allowed for the viewing of full pages and zooming in, it just seems to be of more use. I'm more accustomed to looking at a full web page. Of course it's not perfect but web browser, like Opera Mini and Skyfire are getting closer.

I don't like to view web pages in a single file line unless its absolutely necessary. If the default bowser was able to do some of the extra anneminities that I like that I would use it in a heart beat.
    05-09-08 04:46 AM
    Well I had opera for a more advance browsing experience and used the berry's browser for most things. I didn't use opera that often so I got rid of it last night. The bb browser works fine for me and I use the web almost every second.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-08 05:07 AM
    I used 2 use opera wen I wuz on 4.2 because da bb browser suck on it. But now dat I have 4.5 I always use da bb browser due 2 its drastict upgrade in performance. Now I'm thinkin abt deleting opera cuz I don't use it at all.

05-09-08 05:59 AM
    I've got both as well and am also having the same thoughts about removing Opera. I used it some when I first installed it, but find that I don't use it much anymore, and with our precious memory space....it might be gone.
    05-09-08 07:33 AM
    I really only use Opera when I'm doing a quick web search and the BB browser the rest of the time, so now I'm thinking about deleting it too.

05-09-08 11:11 AM
    I tried Opera Mini for a while - but it was hard to see the benefit since I have a Pearl. The Pearl screen is small to begin with - and a full web page viewed with Opera wasn't readable.

I am the first to admit I am electronically challeged, but the BB browser seems to work just fine.

Unless I am missing something about the benefits of Opera on a Pearl??
    05-09-08 11:38 AM
    I got rid of Opera mini, it never convinced me. The webpages seemed cluttered and difficult to navigate and read the content, plus it was taking a lot of memory space. I prefer the BB browser just because is simple and imo is easier to read content.
    05-09-08 11:54 AM
    I don't even use Opera just for the web layout, but the 2, 5 & 8 keys being so convenient to me.

I still don't know how to scroll through the BB browser as easy as Opera. I don't use it enough to try. I use the BB browser if I have to download something which I barely do now as I have to apps to apps installed on my BB now, Opera and Telenav
    05-09-08 12:49 PM
    i use opera cuz it allows me to access my bank info, something i can do on the BB Browser..just my 2 cents
    05-09-08 12:55 PM
    Some great thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.

Perhaps I should have put up a poll in this thread. In doing just a quick review of the posts so far, it seems as though comments are running 2-1 in favor of just going with and using the native BlackBerry browser and not a lot of significant advantages/arguments in Opera's favor.

I, like several others, like Opera but am finding it hard to justify keeping it ... again because: 1.) you cannot program it to be the default browser; and 2.) I just don't find that I use it very often; and 3.) It's a large use of space for a program you're not using that much.

2-1 in favor of not keeping Opera so far. Not that favorable for Opera.
    05-09-08 03:05 PM
    Some sites that require passwords don't work on the BB browser. I have Opera and don't use it except when I really want to get to something and can't get past the password screen.
    05-09-08 06:21 PM
    Gave it more thought this afternoon. Since I rarely use it, I decided to delete it.

If Opera could make their browser the default browser, then it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, I just don't see a benefit in having it sit there and occupy memory.

It's gone.
    05-10-08 12:57 AM
    I loved Opera when I was a Sony Ericsson user, but now that I'm a BlackBerry user I cannot stand Opera.

On the BlackBerry, Opera is slow to open a page and very laggy wheb scrolling. If a website has a lot of pictures, they take for ever to appear after you scroll around a zoomed in page.

Nope, no more Opera.

05-10-08 06:23 PM
    I loved Opera when I was a Sony Ericsson user, but now that I'm a BlackBerry user I cannot stand Opera.

On the BlackBerry, Opera is slow to open a page and very laggy wheb scrolling. If a website has a lot of pictures, they take for ever to appear after you scroll around a zoomed in page.

Nope, no more Opera.
    I deleted it yesterday and haven't missed it since. LOL.

I'm actually amazed at the ratio of thumbs up to thumbs down here. It's well over 2-1 in favor of the BB browser. I would have never guessed it to be that overwhelmingly against Opera. Nothing against Opera. Fine product. I think what kills them is the inability to make their product the default browser.
    05-10-08 06:26 PM
    You are right I seldom use Opera Mini.
    05-10-08 06:30 PM
    I got both it don't bothers me to have both of them. I only use BB browser for things that requiers it. Opera is more conftable faster so yeah that's why I have both.

05-10-08 06:39 PM
    I was thinking the same thing the other day. I rarely use opera even tho it is faster than BB browser...so i deleted it too.
    05-10-08 06:40 PM
    I have opera mini but have only used it twice.. im more than ok with using the bb browser so im deleting it =)
    05-10-08 06:54 PM
    I'm using Opera 4.1 right now. It does have a few issues. I use both.

05-10-08 07:39 PM
    I'm using 4.5 OS on an 8100 Pearl and the BB Browser is much better now than before. I am seriously considering getting rid of the Opera browser as well.
    05-10-08 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD