I installed Opera 5 Beta last night to view election results on a page that had frames. The default browser couldnt handle it. Opera 5 handled it like a champ. If you havent taken a look give it a shot: http://m.opera.com. Im using 5 Beta. Just noticed typing in a text box like I am right now is a little rough, otherwise solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 11:57 PM
    4.2 on the storm 9530 is the worst. No typing pretty much. No clicking or anything... Horrid. Mite give 5 a shot tho

11-05-09 01:12 AM
    It's basically a horrible version of Safari.
    11-05-09 02:03 AM
    4.2 on the storm 9530 is the worst. No typing pretty much. No clicking or anything... Horrid. Mite give 5 a shot tho

Really? I ended up going back to 4.2 because on 5 if I used default browser and made mistake typing and hit backspace, cursor would keep erasing until everything was gone. Also the virtual keyboard with opera 5 would lag way too much for me. and not sure if anybody else had problem where when you tap on series of numbers it would just shut down browser. now I'm so used to 4.2 that I can't stand default BB browser.

Last edited by Spamberry; 11-05-09 at 03:31 AM.
    11-05-09 03:28 AM
    I installed opera mini 5 beta after the 5.0 upgrade because I could not get the BB browser to get me where I needed to be. It works great and is so much faster.
    11-05-09 07:31 AM
    I downloaded and am presently trying it out. My first question is where is the BB menu? I have some LONG bookmark addresses that I want to cut and paste. When I hit BB I get nothing? How do I get these addresses into my bookmarks without typing?
    11-05-09 08:11 AM
    Opera is a lot better than any browser for the BB. Bolt brower is by far the worst in my opinion. Opera 5. will not work on my phone for some reason so im stuck using 4.2 but it loads a lot faster than the native browser.
    11-05-09 08:13 AM
    Opera is a lot better than any browser for the BB. Bolt brower is by far the worst in my opinion. Opera 5. will not work on my phone for some reason so im stuck using 4.2 but it loads a lot faster than the native browser.
    same here.. i cant use 5.. it just plain wont function.. but IMO even 4.2 is a lot better than BB browser
    11-05-09 08:15 AM
    I just cut and paste from an email if I have a lot to type in opera mini.
    11-05-09 08:18 AM
    How do you "paste" when in Opera mini for Storm? I can "cut" fine from another app, but when I go to Opera and press the BB button, there is no menu that pops up to select "paste". How do you get the menu to pop up?
    11-05-09 01:46 PM
    I downloaded Opera Mini 5 beta into my 9530 but it doesn't seem to be working. I gt a white screen with a red bar across the top but nothing happens when I press the screen or hit the BB button.
    11-05-09 01:55 PM
    too bad opera mini 5 can't download files.
    11-05-09 03:03 PM
    I just cut and paste from an email if I have a lot to type in opera mini.
    How did you "paste" in Opera 5?
    Thanks
    11-06-09 07:37 PM
    is it out of beta?

11-06-09 07:37 PM
    For those that get nothing when they run it for the first time...wait. I let it sit for a minute before finally getting a popup saying it couldn't load the EULA. Closed and re-opened, and the EULA popped up, and then I was good. So just sit there and poke the screen a few times
    11-06-09 08:51 PM
    moved to 3rd party apps
    11-06-09 08:58 PM
    the backspace -> erase all issue pissed me off enough I deleted Opera 5 beta. 4.2 is working ok for me, I use it and the BB browser, depending on the site
    11-07-09 10:07 AM
    For those that get nothing when they run it for the first time...wait. I let it sit for a minute before finally getting a popup saying it couldn't load the EULA. Closed and re-opened, and the EULA popped up, and then I was good. So just sit there and poke the screen a few times
    Agreed. The first time I opened Opera 5 (Beta), it did nothing. Just the white screen with the red stripe at the top. I closed it and then reopened it, but got the same screen. Then I got an Eula error message, but it started working. It is certainly much faster than the BB browser!

Now I'm trying to tweak the settings to optimize it to the Storm's landscape screen. I have set it to following settings:
    Load Images - yes
    Image Quality - Medium
    Mobile view - On (still playing with this one)
    Full Screen - On (still playing with this one too)
    Font Size - Medium

FYI, Opera 5 has its own "virtual keyboard" for touchscreens, but I found it to be very cumbersome. So, under "Advanced Options", I turned Virtual Keyboard to OFF. Now when I click on a data entry point on a page, it brings up the Storm's native virtual keyboard. Works a lot better.

- I'm still trying to figure out the tabbed pages and how to assign pages to the "Quick Links" (which is separate from bookmarks).
    - I can't figure out how to bookmark a page from that page's browser window.
    - I would also love to know if there is a way to import my bookmarks from the BB Browser rather than having to re-enter them all in Opera.

IMO, Opera 5 has loads of potential on the Storm. I would love to hear from anyone else who has been successful in tweeking Opera 5 for the Storm.

Rich
    11-08-09 02:51 PM
    OM4.2 is better than 5beta.

11-08-09 03:54 PM
    How did you "paste" in Opera 5?
    Thanks
    I think I may see why you're confused. I'm using 4.2 but I thought when I was using 5.0b it worked the same way. I forgot all about the fact that you can't use the blackberry button in 5.0b.

In case you want to go back to 4.2......

Copy the text you want to use.
    Open up the text box (or whatever you want to call it; the place you want to type) in Opera Mini.
    Blackberry button
    Paste
    11-08-09 04:08 PM
    OK, I take it back. Opera 5 is not playing nice with my Storm. It has froze me up once. It also treats two similar pages (mobile pages for the Washington Post and for the LA Times, for example) completely differently. My BB Browser doesn't do this. I may try Opera 4, but will probably just continue to use the native browser till someone comes out with a new one specifically designed for the Storm. (I also went through this with Bolt a few months ago!)
    11-08-09 04:52 PM
    I've had both opera 4 and 5 and prefer 4. The main reason being the backspace erasing everything when you hit it..but on 4 I don't like the fact that the keyboard doesn't come up automatically when going to type something. Also, when typing a double letter like "gOOgle" it turns the "oo" to a p so you can't type it fast.

11-08-09 11:54 PM
    The main reason being the backspace erasing everything when you hit it..
    While in Opera 5: Settings > Advanced > Turn "Inline Editing" Off
    11-09-09 12:36 AM
    I've had both opera 4 and 5 and prefer 4. The main reason being the backspace erasing everything when you hit it..but on 4 I don't like the fact that the keyboard doesn't come up automatically when going to type something. Also, when typing a double letter like "gOOgle" it turns the "oo" to a p so you can't type it fast.

theKC solved your first problem.

The keyboard comes up like its supposed to if its set up right. I just can't remember the "how to" so I'll let you search for it. I think it might be that you need to turn off compatibility mode??????

As far as "google' goes, it works fine for me. Just keep typing the word and suretype will correct it. Worst case put the word in your custom dictionary.
    11-09-09 07:20 AM
    opera 5 needs a lot of work.

Opera 4.2 FTMFW

Seriously once u figure out how to actually use opera 4 it is the best browser for the storm.

11-09-09 10:29 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD