I just finished developing a new IPD editor, with a focus on service books. You can find it here:

hxxp://darkircop.org/bb/

It's open-source and it runs on Windows and Linux. It converts the IPD file to an XML file, which you can edit, and it can convert the XML file back to IPD. To make the XML output more friendly, some XSLT transformations are provided - these can be extended in the future as new fields become known.

There seems to be demand for combining / merging service books, and this tool can accommodate that need.

Here's a snipped from the output:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <ipd version="2">
      <database name="Service Book">
        <record uid="0xc78b705d">
          <field type="1">01000000</field>
          <type>0</type>
          <ruid>0xc78b705d</ruid>
          <name>WAP2 Transport 01</name>
          <dsid/>
          <userid>-1</userid>
          <uid>WAP2 trans01</uid>
          <cid>WPTCP</cid>
          <appdata type="1">
            <unknown datatype="str" type="1">212.183.137.12:8799</unknown>
            <unknown datatype="str" type="8">212.183.137.12:8799</unknown>
            <field type="2">01</field>
            <field type="3">01</field>
            <unknown datatype="str" type="4">0.0.0.0</unknown>
            <field type="18">01</field>
          </appdata>
          <compression>1</compression>
          <encryption>1</encryption>
          <description>WPTCP Trans Vodafone UK (136163)</description>
          <source>3</source>
          <field type="18">00000000</field>
          <field type="24">1366084a</field>
          <hrt>
            <field type="10">03</field>
            <name>HRT</name>
            <npc>0x30</npc>
            <apn>pp.vodafone.co.uk</apn>
            <password>web</password>
            <username>web</username>
            <field type="18">0000000000</field>
            <ip>0.0.0.0</ip>
            <ports>0:0</ports>
          </hrt>
        </record>
      </database>
    </ipd>
    The tool lacks a GUI, though a frontend to the XML files can easily be developed. The main focus of this tool was reliability - I wanted something that will let me see the "exact" contents of the IPD file, and something that can generate / edit IPD files without screwing them up.

By the way, please advise me if there's a mature IPD editor out there as I'd like to use it myself - I've only found two, one of which works (closed source) and the other doesn't (though it's probably a small mod to fix, and it's open-source). Both, however, despite a nice GUI, didn't give me much confidence on data integrity.

If you are willing and have BES, please e-mail me your service books as I'm conducting research on BES. Also, unrelated, does anyone know how to connect to BES via GPRS without a blackberry dataplan, but just a standard data plan? Is it impossible, or is no mechanism known yet? It's doable via WiFi, and I'd like to reproduce that behavior via GPRS.
    gorwoo likes this.
    07-03-09 03:31 PM
    I am developing the IPD file reader and converter, you can check it from menastep.com.
    Currently am working on editing the IPD file records.

PM me if you feel interested, by the way I might use your software if I feel it will add benefits to my project (If you agree).
    acom1234 likes this.
    07-09-09 07:16 AM
    Hi, i have tried both applications and i am happy to see it is part of what i am looking for, i can edit now known service books. But, what i really need is to know what every field means to create my own service book. I would like to achieve this because my carrier does not supports Blackberries and i know every setting to get MMS, etc i just dont know how to setup all this in my Blackberry. Any info on this would be great. Thanks in advanced!
    08-06-09 01:36 PM
    Hi, i have tried both applications and i am happy to see it is part of what i am looking for, i can edit now known service books. But, what i really need is to know what every field means to create my own service book. I would like to achieve this because my carrier does not supports Blackberries and i know every setting to get MMS, etc i just dont know how to setup all this in my Blackberry. Any info on this would be great. Thanks in advanced!
    Bump: anyone have any reference docs or links to the various settings in a service book. Google has not been my friend on this :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 10:51 AM
    I am solving the same problem, but I do not have even the example MMS settings.. Can you share your MMS settings, so I find specific customization and can experiment more with it (as soon as (if) I solve it, I will post my solution)
    Thanks!
    11-03-09 11:36 AM
    I'm dealing on this matter since a couple of days in my spare time without any result and I'm about to give up. Before doing that I'll share with you my knowledge and my findings (not very much, unfortunately).

I have a service book with working MMS with the TIM operator. I then moved to another operator and I was trying to change the settings accordingly. I don't know where to change the service books that I already have: I have two fantastic tools (made by aawaad and sorbo)
    but it's hard to guess which info are stored in the non-human-readable fields and, consequently, what to write there in order to follow the new operator specification, as yurguis was pointed out.

My findings:
    1) it seems to me that the only service books involved in a mms's exchange are: "mms transport [WPTCP]" (for sending and receiving) and "wap push config" (receiving)
    2) I have the impression that in the "mms transport [WPTCP]" service book there is a sort of CRC control: I tried to change only one word of an existing (and working) service book; I tried then to compose an mms but after having entered the mobile number I received the "No MMS record, message cannot..."
    3) here hxxp: www . berryreview.com/2009/01/22/faq-explanation-of-each-blackberry-service-book-type/]FAQ: Explanation Of Each BlackBerry Service Book Type | BerryReview.com you'll find a nice explanation on the different types of service books

@ nod2fint: I'm not allowed to post an attachment, I'll try to PM you the working mms service book I have. Hope this is what you're looking for
    11-06-09 08:35 AM
    I'm not allowed to send PM until I reach 10 posts. I uploaded then the service books I was mentioning before here hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/304289917/mms_service_book.zip

Hope you find it useful
    11-08-09 07:37 PM
    Has anyone made progress with writing their MMS Service Books?

My carrier provides me with unlimited MMS allowance and I cannot enter my carrier's setup details directly on a BlackBerry.
    02-05-10 10:19 AM
    Hi all, I have a bold 9000 and I'm trying to write the service books for wap transport with italian operator WIND.

I guess the service books needed would be:

WAP BrowserConfig [BrowserConfig]
    WAP2 Transport [WPTCP]
    Wap Push Config [WAPPushConfig]

wind wap gw is: 212.245.244.100:8080
    their apn is: wap.wind
    user/pw: wind/wind

unfortunately the IPD grammar it's not clear and open (AFAIK), so I wonder if it's possible to write a working service book without strictly following the coding scheme / parameters / network values set by the operator

Any help would be appreciated!
    02-23-10 07:25 PM
    Hi guys,

I have a problem related to this thread: I just posted about it " Access MMS files out of a broken BB with ipd archive"

Could you give a look please ?

Thank you for helping.

Regards
    01-21-12 02:18 AM
    I have maps.ipd. Send me msg...
    06-26-15 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD