02-22-12 01:14 PM
412 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    I'm guessing only SpeedNotes can read the the files it creates and saves to? It will save to and load from a file created within SN but if I go to view the file thru my files directory I get a 'unable to display file' followed by the name? It appears to be saving, loading and creating files made with SN properly on my end though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 07:07 PM
    I'm guessing only SpeedNotes can read the the files it creates and saves to? It will save to and load from a file created within SN but if I go to view the file thru my files directory I get a 'unable to display file' followed by the name? It appears to be saving, loading and creating files made with SN properly on my end though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    SpeedNotes saves all it's notes as plain text files which are readable by any application, as long as that application will try and interpret them that way. The Files app that comes with the BBOS can only open text files that are saved with an extension of .txt. In other words, it won't be able to read 'mynotes' but it will do just fine with 'mynotes.txt'.
    sam81 likes this.
    08-31-11 07:17 PM
    Just loaded up the newest volatile. I created a note. Then I saved it to my SD card and created a new folder and saved the file into that new folder all in one step. I then exited out of SN and went back in and pulled up my saved file without any errors.

It seems to be working perfect on my end. I'm on an S2 with OS5

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 07:29 PM
    I deleted SN and just installed the newest volatile. I still cannot successfully save a note to a file. When I choose that I can navigate to where I want - I choose in my Blackberry folder. I then click New Folder and named it Purcy Test and click Save. Then when I try to save my file in that folder, I look for it and every time it is inside my Font folder (??) I absolutely cannot save anything inside my Document folder because I get an error message saying the file already exists, do I want to overwrite.

Here is a photo of my New folder I created, inside my Font folder, which is NOT where I saved it

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-31-11 08:23 PM
    I deleted SN and just installed the newest volatile. I still cannot successfully save a note to a file. When I choose that I can navigate to where I want - I choose in my Blackberry folder. I then click New Folder and named it Purcy Test and click Save. Then when I try to save my file in that folder, I look for it and every time it is inside my Font folder (??) I absolutely cannot save anything inside my Document folder because I get an error message saying the file already exists, do I want to overwrite.

Here is a photo of my New folder I created, inside my Font folder, which is NOT where I saved it

Ok, I think I see what the issue is here... If you want to save in your Purcy Test folder then you need to click on it first (to open it and go inside) then click save and name your file in the popup. This is why it's saving into your fonts folder, as that is the currently active folder.

......or feel free to correct me if I've totally misunderstood (it's happened before!).
    Last edited by russnash; 08-31-11 at 08:31 PM.
    08-31-11 08:27 PM
    No, I was doing that, clicking my new folder open and then naming my text file and clicking Save. I just tried it again a few more times with brand new files. Here is what is happening.

I created a new SN and then chose to Save To File. It opens the explorer box and I choose SD card, then Blackberry, I then scrolled down to the bottom until New Folder is highlighted blue and I clicked that but behind thay screen I can see that I changed folders from where I was, it was now inside the Font Folder. What appears to be happening is whatever folder name is jsut above your button New folder is the folder that opens when you click the button New Folder. Do you understand? It is actually choosing that new folder name, perhaps the button is too close to the folder and it is opening it? All I know is everytime I click the button New Folder it is opening the folder that sits right above that button, even though I didn't choose to open it. So at this point I have no control of which folder to save files into

08-31-11 08:38 PM
    No, I was doing that, clicking my new folder open and then naming my text file and clicking Save. I just tried it again a few more times with brand new files. Here is what is happening.

I created a new SN and then chose to Save To File. It opens the explorer box and I choose SD card, then Blackberry, I then scrolled down to the bottom until New Folder is highlighted blue and I clicked that but behind thay screen I can see that I changed folders from where I was, it was now inside the Font Folder. What appears to be happening is whatever folder name is jsut above your button New folder is the folder that opens when you click the button New Folder. Do you understand? It is actually choosing that new folder name, perhaps the button is too close to the folder and it is opening it? All I know is everytime I click the button New Folder it is opening the folder that sits right above that button, even though I didn't choose to open it. So at this point I have no control of which folder to save files into

Thank you for taking to time to explain that, it makes sense now as to what the issue is. I'm wondering, when you click the new folder do you use the touch screen or are you using the trackpad? If you're using the touch screen can you try it with the trackpad to see if you experience the same issue?

Russ.
    08-31-11 08:43 PM
    For the testing on this app I am ONLY using the trackpad, since the touch scrren may not be real accurate.

russnash likes this.
    08-31-11 08:45 PM
    Ok, armed with that info I am going to try and replicate it in the 9900 simulator using the trackpad. Thanks!
    08-31-11 08:56 PM
    Right, I've managed to replicate the issue now, it's definitely (as you reported) passing a click through to the folder list even though you've clicked on a button. Another wonderful OS 7.0 bug I suppose

Now to find a workaround.
    08-31-11 09:03 PM
    Ok, I've uploaded a new volatile build which seems to workaround the issue for me on the simulator, hopefully it will work for you also in the real world!

Basically, in the code which detects clicks on the list of folders I've coded it to ignore the click if the new folder or save here buttons currently have focus.

Russ.
    08-31-11 09:16 PM
    Ok, I've uploaded a new volatile build which seems to workaround the issue for me on the simulator, hopefully it will work for you also in the real world!

Basically, in the code which detects clicks on the list of folders I've coded it to ignore the click if the new folder or save here buttons currently have focus.

Russ.
    I tried to download new volatile, but it still says vers 0.3.1; is that correct or should it be 0.3.2?
    08-31-11 11:18 PM
    I have been using speednotes 2.2 for a couple of weeks. Love it! If fills a gap nicely. i was a lot disappointed this morning when it locked up requesting a license key and upon down loading the newest beta, lost my unsaved notes.

Is there a file on the bb that i can recover?

Will continue to use going forward. Would love to see date-stamp as YYYYMMDD.

...dave
    08-31-11 11:58 PM
    I tried to download new volatile, but it still says vers 0.3.1; is that correct or should it be 0.3.2?

That is correct, it should still say 0.3.1. Basically, the volatiles represent my progress towards the next beta release which in this case will eventually become 0.3.1 beta.

09-01-11 12:24 AM
    Ok, I installed the last built. Now I can save to any folder I choose without any probleme. That is solved thanks.

I have 2 more issues.

1- Saved file does not have .txt extension. Can you please add it?
    2- I take the notes in Turkish. When I open the saved file Turkish characteres don't exist. Can you pls add multilanguage support for saved file. I don't have any probleme when I save the note to memopad and reload it from memopad.
    09-01-11 06:10 AM

...dave
    You can edit the date format.
    09-01-11 08:55 AM
    That is correct, it should still say 0.3.1. Basically, the volatiles represent my progress towards the next beta release which in this case will eventually become 0.3.1 beta.

Yahhh, it works perfectly now when saving to a file, thank you
    russnash likes this.
    09-01-11 09:39 AM
    I have been using speednotes 2.2 for a couple of weeks. Love it! If fills a gap nicely. i was a lot disappointed this morning when it locked up requesting a license key and upon down loading the newest beta, lost my unsaved notes.

Is there a file on the bb that i can recover?

...dave
    Dave,

Install the volatile build from the first post, I just updated it to add a menu option on the SpeedNotes main screen called "Load old note area". This will pull the note from the old storage space into the new note and immediately save it, allowing you to recover your old note. I will remove this menu option when SpeedNotes comes out of beta.

As for the date stamp, if you go to the options screen you can code your own custom date stamp. The details to do this are in the 'Help' menu option near the end of the help.

Russ.
    09-01-11 10:13 AM
    Ok, I installed the last built. Now I can save to any folder I choose without any probleme. That is solved thanks.

I have 2 more issues.

1- Saved file does not have .txt extension. Can you please add it?
    2- I take the notes in Turkish. When I open the saved file Turkish characteres don't exist. Can you pls add multilanguage support for saved file. I don't have any probleme when I save the note to memopad and reload it from memopad.
    I originally left the file extension open for the user to add when they saved the file to allow flexibility. I will add an option to the options screen that will default it to .txt should you so desire.

As concerns your multilanguage issue, I will read up on this to see what I need to do to fix this issue.

Russ.
    09-01-11 10:16 AM
    Dave,

Install the volatile build from the first post, I just updated it to add a menu option on the SpeedNotes main screen called "Load old note area". This will pull the note from the old storage space into the new note and immediately save it, allowing you to recover your old note. I will remove this menu option when SpeedNotes comes out of beta.

Russ.
    Russ, did you just update volatile again to show this "load old note area"? because it just installed it this morning and I don't have that menu item showing? Is it something I need?
    09-01-11 10:19 AM
    Russ, did you just update volatile again to show this "load old note area"? because it just installed it this morning and I don't have that menu item showing? Is it something I need?
    Yup, I just updated it before I made the post. This menu option is just a fix for people that had been using the old 2.2ish SpeedNotes and then updated to the latest version. One of the big changes I made back then was in the way the note was stored while you were still typing it, therefore, jumping from 2.2 to the latest caused the old note to be lost if it hadn't been saved to memopad etc. The 'Load old note area' just digs into that old storage space and loads it into the current note storage space so it can be retrieved.

Installing the latest volatile won't cause you any issues, running the 'load old note area' menu option will, at worst, cause the note you are currently working on to be replaced with an old one. If you want to try it out, just save your current note first.

Russ.
    09-01-11 10:26 AM
    Yup, I just updated it before I made the post. This menu option is just a fix for people that had been using the old 2.2ish SpeedNotes and then updated to the latest version. One of the big changes I made back then was in the way the note was stored while you were still typing it, therefore, jumping from 2.2 to the latest caused the old note to be lost if it hadn't been saved to memopad etc. The 'Load old note area' just digs into that old storage space and loads it into the current note storage space so it can be retrieved.

Installing the latest volatile won't cause you any issues, running the 'load old note area' menu option will, at worst, cause the note you are currently working on to be replaced with an old one. If you want to try it out, just save your current note first.

Russ.
    Thanks, but I'm going to stay with my current volatile version. I'm happy with it
    09-01-11 10:29 AM
    Russ, I have done alot with the latest build and all is working well, with the exception of SMS bug you already know about. One thing you haven't touched on yet (at least I think) is my post from about a week or so ago:

Today while reviewing my calendar and thinking I had forgotten something it dawned on me that a couple of my calendar appts did not go off at the time I set them for. It was the ones I entered thru SpeedNotes last night. I have my calendar options set for a 'zero minute' reminder so I get a tone when the time arrives. As I looked thru the options for the actual appt I sent to the calendar from SpeedNotes it apparently defaults to 'none' on the reminder time near the bottom on the appt settings. It will go off at the time I set IF I physically change the reminder to 0 when setting the appt.

I went back tonight and read every post in this thread just to refresh my thoughts and found it. It also made me realize we've been at this some 3 and a half weeks. Man, how time flies.
    09-01-11 08:18 PM
    Russ, I have done alot with the latest build and all is working well, with the exception of SMS bug you already know about. One thing you haven't touched on yet (at least I think) is my post from about a week or so ago:

Today while reviewing my calendar and thinking I had forgotten something it dawned on me that a couple of my calendar appts did not go off at the time I set them for. It was the ones I entered thru SpeedNotes last night. I have my calendar options set for a 'zero minute' reminder so I get a tone when the time arrives. As I looked thru the options for the actual appt I sent to the calendar from SpeedNotes it apparently defaults to 'none' on the reminder time near the bottom on the appt settings. It will go off at the time I set IF I physically change the reminder to 0 when setting the appt.
    Thanks for reminding me Steve, I'd totally forgotten about that one. I'll look into it!

I went back tonight and read every post in this thread just to refresh my thoughts and found it. It also made me realize we've been at this some 3 and a half weeks. Man, how time flies.
    It sure does... hopefully it won't be long now until SpeedNotes hits mobihand and appworld.

Russ.
    sam81 likes this.
    09-01-11 08:24 PM
    I've fixed the issue with reminders defaulting to none on the calendar entries, for now I've simply hard coded a 0 minute alarm which you can, of course, change if you wish when creating the entry. Ongoing, I would prefer it if I was able to pre-populate the fields in the calendar entry with the defaults chosen in the calendar app. If I find this to be feasible I will do so.

A new SpeedNotes 0.3.1 volatile is available with the above fix.

Russ.
    09-01-11 09:16 PM
412 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD