Great !!! thx Russ
    08-29-11 10:10 AM
    Sounds great Russ....thanks so much for all your diligent work on what is sure to be a very successful app!
    08-29-11 11:02 AM
    SpeedNotes 0.3.0 beta is available!

SpeedNotes 0.3.0 volatile has been promoted to beta status and is now the current beta release.

The changelog for 0.3.0 beta is:

- Cleaned up screens to provide a consistent interface.
    - Choice of fields for send as email (option screen).
    - Automatic time stamp on new memo (option screen).
    - Load from memopad.
    - Load from file (SDCard, Store etc) with progress display and cancel options.
    - Cleaned up startup code.
    - Added save prompt to options screen when cancelling or pressing escape.
    - Save to file and allow folder creation.
    - Cursor at end of note or last cursor position on open.
    - Extended beta timeout to September 15th 2011.

You can download the new beta from the link in the first post.

Russ.
    08-30-11 01:46 PM
    dl ver3.0 and trying it out now, will come back with my observations. thanks Russ!!!
    08-30-11 02:00 PM
    working with SN a little. I can load up an existing file from Memopad and edit the file just fine. I have questions when it comes to saving the file. Evidently I can save more than one file with the same file name, (ex. SN 1) I thought I might see a warning message telling me I was saving over an existing file but it saved the file and when I went to load it up again I have two files with the same name: SN 1.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it is not what I was expecting.

Also I tried to create a new folder and save a file at the same time. The folder was created but the file did not save. I might have screwed up something but did not think so. Wondering what other experiences have been.

Testing will continue
    08-30-11 03:47 PM
    I will be upgrading and checking it out soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 04:39 PM
    working with SN a little. I can load up an existing file from Memopad and edit the file just fine. I have questions when it comes to saving the file. Evidently I can save more than one file with the same file name, (ex. SN 1) I thought I might see a warning message telling me I was saving over an existing file but it saved the file and when I went to load it up again I have two files with the same name: SN 1.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it is not what I was expecting.
    I've noticed this behavior too and am considering a choice prompt for when this is the case.

Also I tried to create a new folder and save a file at the same time. The folder was created but the file did not save. I might have screwed up something but did not think so. Wondering what other experiences have been.

Testing will continue
    When you say you tried to do both at the same time, what exactly did you type / press / click and in what order? You should be able to click new folder, type the name and click ok then go into the folder, type the name of the saved file and click the button to save it.

Russ.
    08-30-11 05:23 PM
    I just tried to save a SN to a file, it takes me to a choice of Device or Card and I can open each level under that but I just wanted to choose Documents but there is no option of "Choose This Folder", it just opens the Documents folder and again, no way to save inside this folder. If I happen to choose one of the existing files inside my Documents folder, it open a New Appointment screen in my Calendar!! I don't think this is right. In the end, I was not able to save my SN to a file, anywhere

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    russnash likes this.
    08-30-11 06:20 PM
    This looks great. Is there any way you could have the option for it to sync with Dropbox .txt files though? That would make this a killer app I would pay for in a heartbeat and fill a pretty significant app void on BlackBerry.
    08-30-11 06:58 PM
    I just tried to save a SN to a file, it takes me to a choice of Device or Card and I can open each level under that but I just wanted to choose Documents but there is no option of "Choose This Folder", it just opens the Documents folder and again, no way to save inside this folder. If I happen to choose one of the existing files inside my Documents folder, it open a New Appointment screen in my Calendar!! I don't think this is right. In the end, I was not able to save my SN to a file, anywhere

It sounds like you're still running an old version, perhaps the update didn't take properly (i've seen this with themes too sometimes). Going to the calendar is a bug I fixed a while back which reinforces this.

Please try deleting SpeedNotes, then rebooting and re-installing again from the 0.3.0 beta link in the first post.

Russ.
    08-30-11 07:52 PM
    Okay, I'm actually running the volatire vers but I will do that. Thanks

08-30-11 07:53 PM
    This looks great. Is there any way you could have the option for it to sync with Dropbox .txt files though? That would make this a killer app I would pay for in a heartbeat and fill a pretty significant app void on BlackBerry.
    Dropbox sync is definitely something I want to look into as a future feature.
    08-30-11 07:53 PM
    I deleted and re-installed the current volatile vers, and now when I try to save a note to a file, I can go into Documents on my card but when I name it and click Save, it says File Exists, Overwrite? I click yes and then when I go into Documents that file is not there.

russnash likes this.
    08-30-11 08:08 PM
    Working great!
    I love that it'll let you open anything as a txt.
    There's no loading bar for me when I try to open stuff, but it all loads pretty quick, even when it hits the character limit.
    Running latest beta, not volatile.

08-30-11 08:08 PM
    I deleted and re-installed the current volatile vers, and now when I try to save a note to a file, I can go into Documents on my card but when I name it and click Save, it says File Exists, Overwrite? I click yes and then when I go into Documents that file is not there.

Hmm, I will see if I can reproduce that issue.

Working great!
    I love that it'll let you open anything as a txt.
    There's no loading bar for me when I try to open stuff, but it all loads pretty quick, even when it hits the character limit.
    Running latest beta, not volatile.

Yup, I find I need to open something pretty large to see the loading bar, otherwise it loads so quick. I'm loading in 16kb blocks which seems to speed up the loading process somewhat.
    08-30-11 08:15 PM

Download the Beta file, not the volatile file, that is on the first post. See if that helps.
    08-30-11 11:23 PM
    Hi Russ,

I have been trying your app & I really love the whole concept. I seem to be in Memopad all the time. Your program is efficient & option rich!

I have installed the 3.0 beta & ran into a snag. It's probably something I did wrong, but here's the scenario:
    -Created the note
    -Selected the save option & created a new folder on my media card: Media Card/Blackberry/Documents/Speed Notes
    -Selected Save & received the message: File Exists, Overwrite?
    -I choose yes & received the following: IOException thrown by delete in saveToFile(): net.rim.device.api.io.file.File|OException: Directory not empty
    -Exited program & checked directory, however it's empty.

I tried a couple of times, but the result is the same. I was stalling on doing a battery pull cause I just changed my 'Morph' setup. Love that theme.
    Anyway, I'll pull the battery & give it another shot.

Thanks for your time!
    08-31-11 01:20 AM
    Hi Russ,

I have been trying your app & I really love the whole concept. I seem to be in Memopad all the time. Your program is efficient & option rich!

I have installed the 3.0 beta & ran into a snag. It's probably something I did wrong, but here's the scenario:
    -Created the note
    -Selected the save option & created a new folder on my media card: Media Card/Blackberry/Documents/Speed Notes
    -Selected Save & received the message: File Exists, Overwrite?
    -I choose yes & received the following: IOException thrown by delete in saveToFile(): net.rim.device.api.io.file.File|OException: Directory not empty
    -Exited program & checked directory, however it's empty.

I tried a couple of times, but the result is the same. I was stalling on doing a battery pull cause I just changed my 'Morph' setup. Love that theme.
    Anyway, I'll pull the battery & give it another shot.

Thanks for your time!
    Hi!

The delete error you are getting refers to a delete that occurs after you give the OK to overwrite a file for saving your note. It sounds like it is referring to the name of a directory as the file to save to, hence the 'directory not empty' issue.

I'm thinking I need to overhaul the save interface as it doesn't seem to be very intuitive. I will have a think about this and try to make it more consistent with the standard BlackBerry save file dialogs.

Russ.
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    08-31-11 09:22 AM
    Download the Beta file, not the volatile file, that is on the first post. See if that helps.
    oh I'm sure it will work fine, but I'm testing the volatile version and reporting errors
    08-31-11 10:07 AM

I have exactly the same issue.
    russnash likes this.
    08-31-11 10:10 AM
    I've uploaded the first volatile for progression to 0.3.1. The main change here is to the save / load file dialog, I've made it more in line with the dialogs found in the BBOS. For example, to save a file, you click through to the folder you want, then click the 'save here' button and are prompted for the name you wish to save the file under. I've also included the current path in the title of the dialog for a guide.

Russ.
    08-31-11 11:29 AM
    Upgraded to 0.3.1. When saving to a file it doesn't ask the name of the file, then I click save, it says "File exists, overwrite?", I click yes, then it's not saved.
    08-31-11 11:46 AM
    I found the bug. It saves randomly to any random folder. It doesn't matter which folder I choose it saves randomly to any other folder. When I search the file I find it in the folder I didn't choose.
    08-31-11 01:24 PM
    I found the bug. It saves randomly to any random folder. It doesn't matter which folder I choose it saves randomly to any other folder. When I search the file I find it in the folder I didn't choose.
    Hmm, strangely enough it seems that only OS7 peeps are having this issue (or as far as has been reported). Can you give some examples of which folder you chose and where it appeared? Hoping there is a pattern of some kind as I haven't been able to reproduce this issue at all.
    08-31-11 04:14 PM
    Going to get the latest. For the folks having trouble look at the logs at the time you did the saving. Copy that and post it for Russ. That may help him figure what's going on. It did on another issue earlier.

08-31-11 04:20 PM
412 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD