Bold 9650 OS5 here. Just downloaded the new 3.1 beta and the SMS is working for me. In fact....everything is working A-OK!! Saving to file is soooo much easier to do now. It seemed to complicated (at least for me) saving to file using the 3.0 beta. This new 3.1 beta is super!!!! Thank you Russ!!! Fantastic app!!!
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-04-11 at 07:30 PM.
    russnash likes this.
    09-04-11 07:23 PM
    Bold 9650 OS5 here. Just downloaded the new 3.1 beta and the SMS is working for me. (Snip)
    I redownloaded the 3.1 volatile, installed, & pulled the battery, still couldn't get it to work.
    I think I'll delete everything & try again.

EDIT: That didn't work for me.
    Last edited by BerryBubbles; 09-04-11 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Update
    09-04-11 07:49 PM
    I redownloaded the 3.1 volatile, installed, & pulled the battery, still couldn't get it to work.
    I think I'll delete everything & try again.

EDIT: That didn't work for me.
    Could you take a look in the event log for me to see if there are any errors for SpeedNotes? When you say it doesn't work, does SpeedNotes throw an error or does all go well but the recipient doesn't receive it? Note, as I mentioned before, with this method of sending SMS you won't see the message in your messages folder.
    09-04-11 08:06 PM
    I'm still not getting the whole send to SMS thing. I create a SN, and I save/send it to SMS. I chose a contact and it puts the note in the txt area but then that's as far as it goes. I can't actually send it as an SMS text. It keeps bringing me to the save/send option. Maybe it's user error but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

The new features you have in the Options screen are nice.

@Sam81. The save to Tasks function works on my S2 running OS5.
    From what you're describing it sounds like you are still running an old build. You shouldn't see an SMS message on your screen with the text field filled in, now you should simply select a contact then the phone number from a picklist of that contacts numbers and then that's it.

You may want to try deleting the app, rebooting then re-installing from the latest beta. I've seen this kind of weirdness before with app upgrades not going through properly.
    09-04-11 08:09 PM
    Could you take a look in the event log for me to see if there are any errors for SpeedNotes? When you say it doesn't work, does SpeedNotes throw an error or does all go well but the recipient doesn't receive it? Note, as I mentioned before, with this method of sending SMS you won't see the message in your messages folder.
    Hi Russ,
    My procedure is:
    -Create Note
    -Select Save/Send
    -Select Send as SMS
    -SpeedNotes opens the contact list.
    -I make a selection (Husband)
    -SpeedNotes returns to the note screen.
    -My husband never receives the message.

I'll clear everything, send another SMS & then check the event log.
    09-04-11 08:28 PM
    SpeedNotes
    #BlackBerry Event Log (cpt)
    #HwID: 0x4001507
    #DPIN: 0x21598736
    #PVer: 5.1.0.146
    #AVer: 5.0.0.714
    a System - JVM:INFOp=21598736,a='5.0.0.714',o='5.1.0.146',h=4 001507 - 9/4 19:31:03
    S Java Exception - IllegalArgumentException - 9/4 19:30:53
    | invalid URL: trailing characters: (719) 330-7793
    | net_rim_cldc-19(4BF0436B)
    | Protocol
    | openPrim
    | 0x3B9F
    | net_rim_cldc-21(4BF0436B)
    | RIMConnector
    | <private>
    | 0x914C
    | net_rim_cldc-21(4BF0436B)
    | RIMConnector
    | open
    | 0x8CB9
    | net_rim_cldc-2(4BF0436B)
    | Connector
    | open
    | 0x10B6
    | SpeedNotes(4E63D4C9)
    | SendSMSMessage
    | run
    | 0x3460
    d App Perms - d SpeedNotes:34 - 9/4 19:30:36
    d App Perms - d SpeedNotes:13 - 9/4 19:30:36
    d App Perms - d SpeedNotes:12 - 9/4 19:30:36
    a UI - GS-D 8a121cd9 - 9/4 19:30:15
    a UI - GS+Q2 8a121cd9net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.ui.App licationSwitcher - 9/4 19:30:14
    09-04-11 08:36 PM
    | invalid URL: trailing characters: (719) 330-7793
    Hmm, this caught my eye, could be something I need to clean up in the code to avoid with this API. Could you try something for me? Go into your husbands contact record and change his number to that it doesn't have the () or - in it, i.e. 7193307793 and then see if it works? If so, I need to add some more code.

Thanks!

Russ.
    09-04-11 08:43 PM
    Hmm, this caught my eye, could be something I need to clean up in the code to avoid with this API. Could you try something for me? Go into your husbands contact record and change his number to that it doesn't have the () or - in it, i.e. 7193307793 and then see if it works? If so, I need to add some more code.

Thanks!

Russ.
    Don't worry! This is definitely the cause of the issue, looks like this particular API doesn't like phone numbers with *anything* other than digits. I'm coding a new volatile right now to remove and (,),- or space characters.
    09-04-11 09:03 PM

Thanks!

Russ.
    Bingo! That was it!! I removed the ' () - ' & he received the message.
    He's happy, he can turn off his phone now. Nice work Russ!!
    09-04-11 09:05 PM
    Bingo! That was it!! I removed the ' () - ' & he received the message.
    He's happy, he can turn off his phone now. Nice work Russ!!
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the help!

I've uploaded a new volatile with a fix for this issue, it will strip out any characters that will make the SMS API throw it's toys out of the playpen.

The new volatile is version 1.0.0, this is a bug fixes only progression towards the gold version for release.

Russ.
    dollface and BerryBubbles like this.
    09-04-11 09:12 PM
    I made my husband turn his phone back on.
    SpeedNotes sent the message with the '( ) & -' just fine!
    russnash likes this.
    09-04-11 09:27 PM
    I installed the new file and sent a speednote sms text to my wifes phone. It works perfect. It was kind of confusing because you don't get a confirmation that the SMS was sent. But I heard her phone sound off in the next room. lol. So I ran in to see what it looked like on her non BB phone. She looked at me like I was crazy.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 09-04-11 at 10:24 PM.
    russnash likes this.
    09-04-11 10:20 PM
    One place where I do need to be careful is with providing a list of encodings without knowing whether each one is supported. I've been through the API's and some googleing but cannot find a way to retrieve a list of supported encodings.

What I've gone ahead and done is to change the encoding choice option to a user editable field. You can either enter 'default' to use the default for your device or enter the name of an encoding method you would like to use. If this method isn't supported, you will get an appropriate error popup when trying to save a file. Latest beta now has this change.
    I tried all kind of encoding method but no succeed. Saved file does not have Turkish characters.
    09-05-11 12:11 AM
    I tried all kind of encoding method but no succeed. Saved file does not have Turkish characters.

I can't help but feel that you will need to use UTF-16BE for what you are trying to do. The 8bit encodings just don't have enough slots to include the special characters also. UTF-16BE is apparently what java and hence BlackBerry uses internally for string storage hence you have no issues with memopad.

When you save files in UTF-16BE, can you read them with notepad on a PC? Which app are you trying to open the files with on your BB that isn't reading UTF-16BE?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 12:22 AM
    Because it's a .txt file I double click on it and it opens. I don't choose any specific application to open it.

I have Mac computer, when I open it with the text editor of MAC it's worse.
    09-05-11 12:32 AM
    Just installed 1.0 on my bold 9930 os 7 353
    Install replaced 0.3.0 no problem
    Tried all main functions and is working well
    russnash likes this.
    09-05-11 09:20 AM
    .... She looked at me like I was crazy.
    And?? ...........
    09-05-11 10:36 AM
    I've sneaked in some more bugfixes / UI fixes to the 1.0.0 volatile build. I've altered the file save / load dialog layout to place the toolbar buttons at the top for easier access for non-touch users. File list also now scrolls within itself instead of the whole dialog scrolling.
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    09-05-11 11:48 AM
    I installed the new file and sent a speednote sms text to my wifes phone. It works perfect. It was kind of confusing because you don't get a confirmation that the SMS was sent. But I heard her phone sound off in the next room. lol. So I ran in to see what it looked like on her non BB phone. She looked at me like I was crazy.
    Just wanted to confirm what BA said. The SMS works fine for me....BUT......you don't receive a confirmation that the SMS was sent. That also confused me at first until I heard my text message alert going off.
    09-05-11 01:20 PM
    I've sneaked in some more bugfixes / UI fixes to the 1.0.0 volatile build. I've altered the file save / load dialog layout to place the toolbar buttons at the top for easier access for non-touch users. File list also now scrolls within itself instead of the whole dialog scrolling.
    Oh I like these changes, makes it smoother for me. Thumbs Up!!
    russnash likes this.
    09-05-11 01:44 PM
    Just got in and saw all the posts for the day. D/L'ed the latest volatile. Every little update makes SN just a touch better and easier to use. It was already fun to use so that's never been an issue. What an amazing little program.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    russnash likes this.
    09-05-11 06:10 PM
    Just wanted to confirm what BA said. The SMS works fine for me....BUT......you don't receive a confirmation that the SMS was sent. That also confused me at first until I heard my text message alert going off.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be much I can do about this. The method I'm forced to use due to the bugs in RIMs code does not provid any method for ascertaining the status of the text. It also doesn't integrate with the messages app.

09-05-11 06:38 PM
    Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be much I can do about this. The method I'm forced to use due to the bugs in RIMs code does not provid any method for ascertaining the status of the text. It also doesn't integrate with the messages app.

Honestly, I don't think this is a big deal anyway. Especially in light of ALL the other things SpeedNotes does. Most of the time when I send a text I get a reply so I know its gone through.
    09-05-11 06:45 PM

I guess I'm not so concerned about getting a confirmation notice that the message was received but it would be nice to get some kind of feedback, audible or vibrate, when you press the send button. Not that big of a deal though.

This is a nice app. Wasn't sure where it was all heading when you first started out. It's been a fun trip to get it to this point. So what's the next "Big Thing".
    09-05-11 09:06 PM
    I guess I'm not so concerned about getting a confirmation notice that the message was received but it would be nice to get some kind of feedback, audible or vibrate, when you press the send button. Not that big of a deal though.

This is a nice app. Wasn't sure where it was all heading when you first started out. It's been a fun trip to get it to this point. So what's the next "Big Thing".

I'm going to keep researching to make absolutely sure there is no way I can determine the status of the sent message. If I do find something I will update.

The next big thing, hmm, I'm not sure yet as I don't have any ideas brewing at the moment. Suggestions are always welcome! :-)

09-06-11 05:32 AM
412 ... 14151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD