SpeedNotes properties show I upgraded 8/19 at 11PM. Since today is 21st and you uploaded last night the versions must have same number??? Guessing of course?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 05:04 PM
    Current Volatile Beta 0.3.0, correct? That's what's I got when I hit the link and that's what I'm running. Did I miss something?

That's correct, however, as the volatile's are basically test snapshots as I work my way towards standard beta releases, you will often see several volatile builds with the same version number. Download again and you will have the latest.
    08-21-11 05:04 PM
    That's correct, however, as the volatile's are basically test snapshots as I work my way towards standard beta releases, you will often see several volatile builds with the same version number. Download again and you will have the latest.
    Haha. We posted at same moment. Ok, going to get it now

08-21-11 05:06 PM
    Ok, when I "load from memopad" and edit my note then "save to memopad" and then "title" it the note then becomes a totally separate note in itself. Even if I give it the same title as the first I get two notes with the same title; 1 with my edited info and my original memo. Is that the way you are wanting it to work?

08-21-11 05:29 PM
    Ok, when I "load from memopad" and edit my note then "save to memopad" and then "title" it the note then becomes a totally separate note in itself. Even if I give it the same title as the first I get two notes with the same title; 1 with my edited info and my original memo. Is that the way you are wanting it to work?

I've noticed this behavior too. Looks like I need to code a check for the pre-existence of the memo and then to prompt if you want to overwrite it or not.
    08-21-11 05:34 PM
    I'm guessing there would be times I will want to just edit the existing note and maybe some times I will want to make it a separate note with the edited info while leaving the original intact by itself. Its one of those things that until you actually do it you're just speculating on it. Of course, until today I didn't even try to do it at all. You've really worked hard on this thing, Russ

08-21-11 05:56 PM
    So, are you saying this only happens if you use the insert date stamp option?
    I would lose text and/or a combination of text and date stamps.

In the picture it show the missing date stamp at the bottom, there were three the last time I use it and now there two. Strange thing is it kept my text this time, before I would lose everything except the first line.

08-21-11 11:55 PM
    Today while reviewing my calendar and thinking I had forgotten something it dawned on me that a couple of my calendar appts did not go off at the time I set them for. It was the ones I entered thru SpeedNotes last night. I have my calendar options set for a 'zero minute' reminder so I get a tone when the time arrives. As I looked thru the options for the actual appt I sent to the calendar from SpeedNotes it apparently defaults to 'none' on the reminder time near the bottom on the appt settings. It will go off at the time I set IF I physically change the reminder to 0 when setting the appt.

08-22-11 04:40 PM
    I haven't been using the date stamp function for any of my stuff but thought to use it some and see what it can do. If I set the stamp in options I don't see it when I write my note or when I send the note to the calendar, memopad or anywhere else. If I clear the note on the SpeedNotes screen the date stamp will show up then but I cannot clear it using the clear button on SpeedNotes screen. I can physically delete it letter by letter using the delete key on the keyboard. Now, if I add the date stamp thru the menu the date will show up and go wherever I send it as it should. It will not clear however using the clear button but will letter by letter using the delete key again

08-22-11 05:25 PM
    I coded the auto date stamp so that it would trigger under the following conditions:

1) When speednotes starts and finds an empty note area or just whitespace.
    2) When clear is pressed, it will insert it at the beginning of the new note.

Is this not the kind of behavior that would be wanted for an automatic date stamp?

Russ.

08-22-11 11:24 PM
    I coded the auto date stamp so that it would trigger under the following conditions:

Is this not the kind of behavior that would be wanted for an automatic date stamp?

Russ.

That is EXACTLY what I want for an automatic date stamp. EXACTLY.
    08-23-11 01:20 AM

Russ.

Russ, I personally don't use the time stamp. I was just testing it since someone else posted about it. If the people that use it like it that way then its great. Again, I won't probably ever use it.

08-23-11 07:39 AM
    Russ, I personally don't use the time stamp. I was just testing it since someone else posted about it. If the people that use it like it that way then its great. Again, I won't probably ever use it.

ohh, I use the time stamp for all of my notes, to keep track of when I wrote them. I love that feature
    08-23-11 09:52 AM
    still using the 2.3 version with no problems. this is a favorite app of mine -use it to write quick notes then either save or clear , love it. thank you so much russ for such a useful app!!!!
    Last edited by Cathyxx724; 08-23-11 at 12:27 PM. Reason: edited sentence
    08-23-11 12:22 PM
    still using the 2.3 version with no problems. this is a favorite app of mine -use it to write quick notes then either save or clear , love it. thank you so much russ for such a useful app!!!!

Cathy, you should update to most recent v3.0. It has some extras in it you might find useful

Cathyxx724 likes this.
    08-23-11 12:40 PM
    I ran some tests today loading files into SpeedNotes. I set the maximum file size to 1mb and then tried to load an 8mb file. After about five minutes the app was still busy and I could switch (very slowly) to the homescreen. Eventually, I had to do a battery pull.

I'm going to make some coding changes to the way SpeedNotes loads in files from the media card etc. There will be a dialog showing the progress of the load along with control being transferred at intervals to the event thread so that a cancel option can be used if desired. This should make things a lot safer, I don't want my app getting a reputation for locking up, even if it is through an incorrect choice of file.

I've also discovered a new use for SpeedNotes for myself, I used it to type this post before pasting it into tapatalk as I'm having issues with it erroring when posting my longer posts. I expect this kind of thing to happen with a mobile connection but it would be nice if it retained your post for another retry at posting instead of just dumping it each time!

Edit: Had to actually post this in the browser as tapatalk doesn't have a paste option and I can't find a keyboard shortcut for pasting on the storm.

08-23-11 09:00 PM
    I've been working away on the file load system with a progress dialog and cancel ability as I mentioned in my last post. This has meant getting my head around inter thread communications as the file load happens in a background thread while the main event thread (the one that controls the screen and listens for you pressing buttons etc) sits and gets informed of progress. This makes for a very responsive UI and safeguards against application lockups.

The 0.3.0 volatile download now includes this updated code. If anyone is feeling brave enough I would be glad of any efforts to break this and report back. Basically, you should be able to hit the cancel button and stop the load as well as expect the program to regard the maximum file size option and not load anymore than that of the file into the note area. You should see appropriate message dialog's prompting for you to press OK should the max be hit or other issues occur.

I've coded the loading thread to load the file in 16kb chunks, stopping in between each to update the main UI thread so you can see the progress on the screen and to check if you've pressed cancel.
    08-24-11 08:55 PM
    Going to get it now. Love using SpeedNotes

russnash likes this.
    08-24-11 09:01 PM
    Russ, the program won't run. I downloaded twice, allowed all permissions and nothing. Guess I will delete and re-load and see what happens?

08-24-11 09:22 PM
    Russ, the program won't run. I downloaded twice, allowed all permissions and nothing. Guess I will delete and re-load and see what happens?

Maybe I'll wait for the next one
    08-24-11 09:29 PM

That's weird.... so you click the icon and just nothing happens? No error?

I just downloaded again to my 9550 to check and it loaded fine.

I would definitely go for a delete and re-load. I've seen this weirdness with OS6 before.
    08-24-11 09:39 PM
    Yep, that's exactly the case. I deleted the program, rebooted and re-downloaded again. Same scenario. Click the icon, nothing happens. No error or anything. Can't move the cursor for 5-8 seconds or so then I can again. Tried it several times with no luck. Sorry, I broke it I guess. :-(

08-24-11 09:49 PM
    What OS build do you have, sam?
    08-24-11 09:50 PM
    Maybe I'll wait for the next one
    At least it didn't self combust and singe his eyebrows off
    08-24-11 10:06 PM
    At least it didn't self combust and singe his eyebrows off
    Yeah, that wouldn't have been pleasant would it?

08-24-11 10:16 PM
412 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD