If the main purpose is to be quick, then it's a success. But I'm have a problem, it random but I'm losing my data when I return to Speednotes. I lose the date stamp and any text after and in between the date stamp.
    ◦color text
    ◦save to .txt

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So, are you saying this only happens if you use the insert date stamp option?
    08-19-11 11:42 AM
    Gimp is the best lol.
    I actually got the java.lang error when I installed the latest working version, but not since then.
    Looks like this is something in the autostart sequence I need to run through the debugger at some point.

I copied a note and sent it to myself via SMS. It worked but I had like 3 entries in my message folder saying that I had sent myself an SMS text. So I guess I can confirm that the SMS function does work. I'm not sure I will ever use it but it's nice the functionality is there for those that will use it.

I'm on an S2 and am looking forward to getting the 9850 also. It looks like an awesome device and can't wait to get it. See you on the new platform soon.
    Thanks for the confirmation, I'm still working on the SMS implementation (and ready to be done with it too!).
    08-19-11 11:49 AM
    Something to consider, when we 'send to email' the subject is "SpeedNotes". Is there a thought on removing that and maybe having the note itself being the subject?

russnash likes this.
    08-19-11 06:09 PM
    Something to consider, when we 'send to email' the subject is "SpeedNotes". Is there a thought on removing that and maybe having the note itself being the subject?

Not a bad idea and easy to implement, I can always use the same options choice I used for the calendar and todo entries.
    08-19-11 07:22 PM
    I just wanted to update everyone on my thoughts over the issues with integrating SpeedNotes with SMS. I've done a fair amount of research into the various bugs that have come to light here (I have to say that the OS7 bug surprises me the most *facepalm*) and have decided, in line with your suggestions, to put this feature onto the back burner for a while until I can do some more research and come up with a workable solution that will fit everyone. I won't be removing the SMS code so the implementation will still work for some and not for others, I'm just going to delay work on this bug workaround as it is causing a huge diversion from the development of other features in SpeedNotes. You have my word that I *WILL* address this bug in the near future, for now though I want to move forward with some of the other features that have been asked for such as saving to media card.

If I don't get a new release out soon with some new features, some of you might fall asleep!

Russ.
    08-19-11 07:52 PM
    I've officially changed the upcoming release from 0.2.5 beta to 0.3.0 beta, the reasoning behind this is that it is going to be a new feature packed release!

So far, as you can see from the first post which I keep updated as I work, the following features are already complete in 0.3.0 beta:

- Choice of fields for send as email (option screen).
    - Automatic time stamp on new memo (option screen).

I'll keep updating the first post as new features are complete.

Russ.
    08-19-11 08:26 PM
    Yea, going to get it now!

Oopsn thought is was ready already. Waiting patiently
    08-19-11 08:48 PM
    Yea, going to get it now!

Oopsn thought is was ready already. Waiting patiently
    LoL! Sorry, I'm still coding another feature but will post when I've got that finished. Will def have a new volatile up this evening.
    08-19-11 08:54 PM
    Ok, I've uploaded the latest volatile of 0.3.0 beta. I'm currently working on the "Load from memopad" feature which is only half working at the moment, you should be able to click the Load Note menu option and then see a choice field with a list of all the memos on your device but it won't actually load yet. I'd be interested to hear though if anyone found any strangeness in the memo's list. Digging through the RIM API's to understand how to read the memopad database has made my brain hurt this evening, but I'm hoping to get it all finished soon!

See the first post for the volatile OTA link.

Russ.
    08-19-11 11:02 PM
    I don't know dude.....you're getting dangerously close to my 30 KB limit.

Teasing, of course...I'll put this one through the paces and see what wonkiness I can create.
    08-19-11 11:55 PM
    I don't know dude.....you're getting dangerously close to my 30 KB limit.

Pfft! You think you have problems, you should see what developing this app is doing to my storm2's trackpad!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    08-20-11 12:00 AM
    ell oh ell

08-20-11 12:02 AM
    Yes!!! No moce Java error!!!

Guess I'm gonna have to use the old sh*tty built in compose sms until the SpeedNote one is fixed tho (;

08-20-11 02:27 PM
    Yes!!! No moce Java error!!!

Guess I'm gonna have to use the old sh*tty built in compose sms until the SpeedNote one is fixed tho (;

I just completed the code for loading the note from a memopad entry and have updated the volatile build for the brave souls out there.

This volatile also has a potential fix for the java error on system startup, please let me know if today's volatile doesn't fix that for you.

Russ.
    08-20-11 03:28 PM
    The java.lang error I got when I installed the last build didn't pop up on the new volatile.
    russnash likes this.
    08-20-11 07:00 PM
    Perfect. The 'send to email subject' option is perfect. SMS still the same but I know you knew that. Copying to clipboard and pasting in an SMS works great tho. Great job Russ

Last edited by sam81; 08-20-11 at 10:24 PM.
    08-20-11 10:22 PM
    I don't recall ever seeing a java error when loading up Speednotes or when I rebooted my S2. The load from memopad feature is cool. I can see all my saved memos and it lets me scroll through them. Very cool.
    08-20-11 11:08 PM
    Thanks for the input, I never saw the java error either on my storm2 but basically my autostart code was accidentally trying to access the note gui while the berry is still starting up, which was throwing the error. Strange how some OS's seem to quack on that and some not.

I'm working on the read and write to file code now. File load is done (and in the volatile) but I'm debating about max file sizes for reading text files in. Leaving it open ended is a definite no no, so I'm thinking about having an options screen choice for setting it instead, say 8, 16, 32 & 128 kbytes. I can't see anyone wanting to load a text file bigger than that. Any thoughts?

08-20-11 11:22 PM
    Most of my notes are 1-4 words with an occasional at a few more so whatever that equates to in file size would be excellent for me.

08-21-11 09:00 AM
    Is there a max file size for MemoPad? It would seem if you are able to load up existing memos that you wrote using MemoPad you should be able to load up those same memos in Speed Notes, regardless of file size.

Personally I can't see someone making a 1MB file using MemoPad, but what would happen if you tried to load up a large file in SpeedNotes and it wouldn't load? What would happen to the original file?
    08-21-11 09:59 AM
    Is there a max file size for MemoPad? It would seem if you are able to load up existing memos that you wrote using MemoPad you should be able to load up those same memos in Speed Notes, regardless of file size.

Personally I can't see someone making a 1MB file using MemoPad, but what would happen if you tried to load up a large file in SpeedNotes and it wouldn't load? What would happen to the original file?

The limitation comes from the API used to read in bytes from a file. Loading from memopad is not under that limitation as it happens through its own API.

When loading a memopad entry the data being loaded is of certain origin. When loading from a file it is possible that a file could be selected in error. Let's say, for example, there was no limitation on the file input size and you happened to invoke load from file on a full length mp4 movie by mistake which would be several hundred megabytes, the results would be disastrous, probably requiring a battery pull to remedy. With a file size limitation in place the first however many bytes of the file would be read in and that partial piece would be usable in the note area, but the rest would not.

Hopefully this answers your question and makes things clearer.
    Russ.

08-21-11 10:55 AM
    but what would happen if you tried to load up a large file in SpeedNotes and it wouldn't load? What would happen to the original file?
    Good point. Just because I don't use it now doesn't mean I won't in the future, huh?

08-21-11 01:19 PM
    This is a confirmation that I do see the "load note" option but as stated is does not load....yet. Not sure whether I'll use that much or not but may in fact come in handy

08-21-11 01:40 PM
    This is a confirmation that I do see the "load note" option but as stated is does not load....yet. Not sure whether I'll use that much or not but may in fact come in handy

It should be working in the volatile I uploaded (very) late last night. The data limit at the moment is hard coded at 16kb.
    Last edited by russnash; 08-21-11 at 02:27 PM.
    08-21-11 01:57 PM
    It should be working in the volatile I uploaded (very) late last night. The data limit at the moment is hard coded at 16kb.
    Current Volatile Beta 0.3.0, correct? That's what's I got when I hit the link and that's what I'm running. Did I miss something?

08-21-11 04:53 PM
412 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD