Ok, this is what's happening. I went back and allowed all options as you said. What then happened is this. I wrote a note and hit 'send to SMS'. My SMS opened and the note was in the subject area as desired. Now I hit the menu key and select 'show recipients' and type in the person and select 'ok'. What then happens is a new SMS is opened with the recipient I chose and the note is not in the subject area anymore. When I close my SMS program I now have two drafts. One with the note but no recipient and one with a recipient but no note. On the SMS with the note inserted I can open the menu to send the message but get prompted with an error because no one is listed as recipient. Make sense?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 06:46 PM
    Got it Sam, thanks!

Seems that I may be hand coding my own interface to the SMS system then as this isn't very promising.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    08-16-11 08:04 PM
    Got it Sam, thanks!

Seems that I may be hand coding my own interface to the SMS system then as this isn't very promising.

As much as I would love to see a simple click to Send as SMS, I would be (and am) quite happy just copying to clipboard and creating my own SMS. This seems to be more of a headache than it's worth.

...and I am a serial txter. Seriously, this could fall off the feature list for the time being until RIM gets the bugs sorted.

Just my two pennies.
    08-16-11 09:17 PM
    As much as I would love to see a simple click to Send as SMS, I would be (and am) quite happy just copying to clipboard and creating my own SMS. This seems to be more of a headache than it's worth.
    ...and I am a serial txter. Seriously, this could fall off the feature list for the time being until RIM gets the bugs sorted.

Just my two pennies.

I agree completely. My needs have more than been met with this. Tasks, memo and calendar were perfect. Don't worry about it on my account Russ

Last edited by sam81; 08-16-11 at 10:19 PM.
    08-16-11 10:12 PM
    I agree completely. My needs have more than been met with this. Tasks, memo and calendar were perfect. Don't worry about it on my account Russ

Just my two pennies.
    Thanks for both of your input!

Looking through the issue tracker the problem with these bugs seems to be that RIM has fixed them in some newer releases of the OS, but, as we know there are many people who will still be using the current releases for quite the foreseeable future that don't upgrade their OS hardly ever, if at all. I'm going to go ahead and code something that will allow recipient choice (it shouldn't take much effort) that will send the SMS directly and leave the previous code around for re-introduction later if it seems fitting. I'm also working on converting the note editing area into it's own object derived from the autotexteditfield class so that I can more easily maintain the code and be able to implement multiple editing windows easily too. Hopefully, I will have another release with some new features in the next few days.
    08-17-11 09:16 AM
    Updated the first post to include a link (and warning) for the current volatile builds as well as to incorporate the progress of the volatile towards the next release version.
    08-17-11 10:59 AM
    Updated the first post to include a link (and warning) for the current volatile builds as well as to incorporate the progress of the volatile towards the next release version.
    There is not a new version above 5 tho, right?

08-17-11 11:07 AM
    There is not a new version above 5 tho, right?

Nope, 0.2.4 is the latest release beta and 0.2.5 is the current in progess volatile for the next beta release.

08-17-11 01:42 PM
    1- Would it be possible if we could have two SpeedNotes opened at the same time? I don't know if you use Windows 7 but there's a way to put 2 different screens aside each other or one on top of another (split screen). It'd be nice to be able to have 2 different notes opened and be able to switch between them, like typing in one while viewing the other?
    This could be very easily implemented in SpeedNotes and should not make much difference to the current foot print, as per my initial reply to your suggestions.
    2- BBM integration: "Send as Broadcast Message"?
    This would definitely be a SpeedNotes Premium feature as it would require integration with BBM6 and the new integration api's (as far as I can see, if you know different please say!). This would result in a substantial footprint change.

3- Twitter integration: Let's say I am on my phone and I'm a music artist, I'm typing this new verse/poem/song right? But I am like hmm I'd like to share this one bit with my people on twitter - How about I highlight that one bit I want to show and upon clicking the BB button there's an option to "Send as tweet".
    This may also be a premium feature, again due to the addition libraries needed for the twitter integration.

4- Facebook integration: My as well get a "Send on Facebook" too.
    Once again, premium, for the same reasons.

5- If I am reading a document on my blackberry browser and I decide to copy paste it as a whole into my "SpeedNotes" app, but I am looking for a specific piece of information in this current document...would I be able to "Search In Document" for that information!?
    Including a menu option that will take selected input from another app (which allowed such integration) and sending it directly to SpeedNotes is something I want to put into the standard SpeedNotes.

6- I think it has been mentioned already but to be able to change font size, color ect.. that could be cool.
    Definitely premium. This would require increasing the footprint and isn't really necessary for standard note taking.

7- So I am typing this right, say it's piece of information A and I copy it onto the clipboard. The thing is I need to copy piece of information B and C too...Multiple Clipboard Integration anyone?
    The applications of your suggestion number 5 would work on the basis of adding to the note, it wouldn't replace that which was already there. This would allow for this kind of functionality. I may even just have a dialog for choosing between add or new when using this feature.
    8- Back to suggestions #5, hmm so this is how the whole story begins huh? As I am reading the text I just copied and pasted into my SpeedNotes, I stumble on "Abligurition" ...woah.... Highlight, click on bb button "Search the Web" thank you.
    Very, very, very easily integrated into SpeedNotes.
    9- Would it be possible to have a bb option like "Recent Files" showing us the top 5 recently saved or/and created notes!?
    As per my initial answer to your post, would that provide the needed functionality in terms of the 'slots'?
    10- Would it be fun to be at 100+ notes taken on SpeedNotes and have to go through all of them to see which one's the most important ones? How about having a accessible screen within SpeedNotes where we can Sticky our notes? Or/give them an order of importance, it might actually be easier to create a folder named "Important Notes" but that's easier said than done when you scratch 100 notes and you have 300 and you still have to go through all of them...Top 10 list, Top 50, Top 100 ... The list goes on, get my point?
    Categorization of folders would certainly address this, I can also enable the categorization feature on memopad and task entries.
    It all sounds good but you don't really have to consider everything like i said in my first review, everyone seems to like the app the way it is but there's definitely features you could look deeper into but you're the boss!

9- Would it be possible to have a bb option like "Recent Files" showing us the top 5 recently saved or/and created notes!?
    As per my initial answer to your post, would that provide the needed functionality in terms of the 'slots'?

Some things do immediately spring to mind though, for instance, I had given some thought to multiple notes and really feel that it would be a benefit for the app. I'm considering having, say, ten 'slots' available which are each a persistent note area which you can pull into the editing window quickly and easily and also switch out for another slot just as quickly with the app, naturally, taking care of saving everything as it does now.

The slots would tie in well to your excellent idea about being able to edit multiple notes in the same screen. I could provide the option to either have the fullscreen single note area as it is now or to enable two windows in either a side by side or one above the other layout. The slot system could then be used to control what is available in each window.
    Yes that's exactly what i was thinking about but it sounds a bit complicated doesn't it? unless you're going to make another window where we can see the 10 recently made notes and we can decide to open them either in speednotes screen #1 or speednotes screen #2

Then again it's your app and your decisions, if there's anything else keep on commenting, i'll answer as fast as possible
    08-17-11 07:48 PM
    It all sounds good but you don't really have to consider everything like i said in my first review, everyone seems to like the app the way it is but there's definitely features you could look deeper into but you're the boss!
    I appreciate the suggestions you made, it does seem that a lot of people are happy with the app as it is but I know that some of the features that I haven't implemented yet are important to some also.

Yes that's exactly what i was thinking about but it sounds a bit complicated doesn't it? unless you're going to make another window where we can see the 10 recently made notes and we can decide to open them either in speednotes screen #1 or speednotes screen #2
    Yup! That's exactly what I had in mind... I agree, more than two windows would be a nightmare on a berry!

Thanks again for your input!

Russ.
    08-17-11 08:10 PM
    I don;t know how you got your icon down to 2kb (I'm impressed lol) and using an icon like this would add 7kb or so to the overall size, but of you're interested in using a flashier icon...

08-17-11 08:14 PM
    I don;t know how you got your icon down to 2kb (I'm impressed lol) and using an icon like this would add 7kb or so to the overall size, but of you're interested in using a flashier icon...

I like the middle one, where did you find these? Are they public domain?
    08-17-11 08:17 PM
    The first one is the windows7/vista icon, the second one I'm not sure (XP maybe? got it from So you thought Notepad to be very innocent?) and the third one is gconf editor from ubuntu.
    08-17-11 08:25 PM
    08-17-11 10:11 PM
    Thanks for the links! I need to be careful though that they are indeed free for commercial use as I will be selling this product, I've found that a lot of things that are 'free' are only free for individual use.

I will probably play it safe and create a nice slick looking icon when I'm ready to launch SpeedNotes.
    08-17-11 10:51 PM
    No new icon!!!!! If this app crests 30 KB I'm dropping it!!!!

...ok, totally kidding. Just wanted to try on that arbitrary and capricious tendency of some folks who find a random 'deal breaker' reason to, say, NOT upgrade to a new phone.
    08-18-11 12:33 AM
    No new icon!!!!! If this app crests 30 KB I'm dropping it!!!!

...ok, totally kidding. Just wanted to try on that arbitrary and capricious tendency of some folks who find a random 'deal breaker' reason to, say, NOT upgrade to a new phone.

And on that note, I must inform everyone that SpeedNotes will not be supporting NFC and may cause your trackpad to peal.

jaydee5799 and ba_hamilton like this.
    08-18-11 08:06 AM
    Thanks for the links! I need to be careful though that they are indeed free for commercial use as I will be selling this product, I've found that a lot of things that are 'free' are only free for individual use.

I will probably play it safe and create a nice slick looking icon when I'm ready to launch SpeedNotes.
    Anything on this site is allowed for commercial use as long as you click "allowed for commercial use (no link required)" in the dropdown.

Here is a search for the term "notepad"

Notepad icons | Icon Search Engine | 1

AND hopefully you have heard of "http://www.smu****.com/ysmush.it/" I am sure you have being an app developer, but I use it daily as I am a web developer. If you don't know what it is, It converts images into the smallest possible size they can be while retaining 100% of the looks and details. I.E. I just ran it on those 3 icons someone posted above, and I was able to get them to be around 3kb each while the same size. I am sure he wouldn't even need them that big therefore the site could probably get those images down to about 1 or 2 KB's

on a side note, I noticed a problem happening with my phone (Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.340) Whenever I restarted, I got this message:

I soon found out that it was actually this application that was in result making this error occur whenever restarting my device.

On a different note, again people have stated before, but I cannot select a persons name when sending an SMS... It must be a 9930 issue as only some people are occurring it and I can confirm.

AND LASTLY:

And on that note, I must inform everyone that SpeedNotes will not be supporting NFC and may cause your trackpad to peal.
    It's funny that you say that because my trackpad began having problems ever since installing your app.. It is squeaking now. hummmmnnnn. I am actually sending it back for a new one because it was a hardware issue. But I bet I scared you though! [;
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-18-11 at 04:42 PM.
    08-18-11 04:40 PM
    Anything on this site is allowed for commercial use as long as you click "allowed for commercial use (no link required)" in the dropdown.

Here is a search for the term "notepad"

Notepad icons | Icon Search Engine | 1

AND hopefully you have heard of "http://www.smu****.com/ysmush.it/" I am sure you have being an app developer, but I use it daily as I am a web developer. If you don't know what it is, It converts images into the smallest possible size they can be while retaining 100% of the looks and details. I.E. I just ran it on those 3 icons someone posted above, and I was able to get them to be around 3kb each while the same size. I am sure he wouldn't even need them that big therefore the site could probably get those images down to about 1 or 2 KB's
    Actually, I didn't know about that website, I usually use The Gimp to hammer down my graphics. Thanks for that other link, I will certainly have a peruse through what they have at some point!

on a side note, I noticed a problem happening with my phone (Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.340) Whenever I restarted, I got this message:

I soon found out that it was actually this application that was in result making this error occur whenever restarting my device.
    Looks like this may be something OS7 specific, I'll try and replicate it on the 9900 simulator.

On a different note, again people have stated before, but I cannot select a persons name when sending an SMS... It must be a 9930 issue as only some people are occurring it and I can confirm.
    Seems there are weird things going on with the SMS API's as I can't seem to find any middle ground with them at all. I'm working on coding my own interface at the moment.

AND LASTLY:
    It's funny that you say that because my trackpad began having problems ever since installing your app.. It is squeaking now. hummmmnnnn. I am actually sending it back for a new one because it was a hardware issue. But I bet I scared you though! [;
    I've been going over and over and back and forth between RIM and Verizon over about the last year and a half about the trackpad on my Storm2... I just can't get the darn thing to work at all! The guy at Verizon tech support just keeps telling me that I am holding my phone the wrong way around and the people at RIM say I need to upgrade my 9550 to OS6. This just isn't acceptable service! I called Verizon again today, got a different person this time and they said that it's because I'm British and using a Canadian phone, something about the interfaces not being compatible and I should talk to RIM again... so, I called RIM and told them what the guy at Verizon said and he suggested a battery pull.... like I haven't tried that before!

If RIM and Verizon don't get their act together over my Storm2's trackpad issue I'm going to go Droid and install a BlackBerry simulator on it.

Russ.
    08-18-11 06:18 PM
    I've been going over and over and back and forth between RIM and Verizon over about the last year and a half about the trackpad on my Storm2... I just can't get the darn thing to work at all! The guy at Verizon tech support just keeps telling me that I am holding my phone the wrong way around and the people at RIM say I need to upgrade my 9550 to OS6. This just isn't acceptable service! I called Verizon again today, got a different person this time and they said that it's because I'm British and using a Canadian phone, something about the interfaces not being compatible and I should talk to RIM again... so, I called RIM and told them what the guy at Verizon said and he suggested a battery pull.... like I haven't tried that before!

If RIM and Verizon don't get their act together over my Storm2's trackpad issue I'm going to go Droid and install a BlackBerry simulator on it.

Russ.

Thanks for replying to the previous issues. And I'd hate to see you go man! RIM just doesn't seem to care about the Storm line anymore so it is probably difficult to deal with them when its with a Storm (although it is their device so they should honor it).

If your device is still under warranty (if you've paid for an extended one or w.e) then I'm sure they can send you a refurbished one. If you call up tech support on the phone and speak with them, they will set it all up for you. If they say "well have you spoke with a local verizon store about it?" you can just tell them that you have and they told me to give you a call. I did this with my old Bold 9650 because I complained that my top buttons weren't working very well (this was because I dropped it and I mainly wanted a device that was not scratched so I could sell it) and they sent me a refurbished one without questioning me at all. The new phone was in perfect condition and I'm glad I did it especially seeing as the warranty was up about a month later.

Good luck with it man, and as much as we would all hate to see you leave BlackBerry, I hope you will still continue to create useful BlackBerry apps even if you leave. I do although recommend upgrading to the Bold 9900/30 if you are really considering doing something.. I have never used a phone that I have been more comfortable and happy with.. Not to mention I can type like 80 WPM on it and it's not stressful on my thumbs at all... I love this device and I really think that you should look into maybe just upgrading to this or one of the torches. RIM got rid of the Storm brand for a reason so I really think you should give them another shot :/ They have really picked up their game on these new devices.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-18-11 at 06:37 PM.
    08-18-11 06:34 PM
    Thanks for replying to the previous issues. And I'd hate to see you go man! RIM just doesn't seem to care about the Storm line anymore so it is probably difficult to deal with them when its with a Storm (although it is their device so they should honor it).

If your device is still under warranty (if you've paid for an extended one or w.e) then I'm sure they can send you a refurbished one. If you call up tech support on the phone and speak with them, they will set it all up for you. If they say "well have you spoke with a local verizon store about it?" you can just tell them that you have and they told me to give you a call. I did this with my old Bold 9650 because I complained that my top buttons weren't working very well (this was because I dropped it and I mainly wanted a device that was not scratched so I could sell it) and they sent me a refurbished one without questioning me at all. The new phone was in perfect condition and I'm glad I did it especially seeing as the warranty was up about a month later.

Good luck with it man, and as much as we would all hate to see you leave BlackBerry, I hope you will still continue to create useful BlackBerry apps even if you leave. I do although recommend upgrading to the Bold 9900/30 if you are really considering doing something.. I have never used a phone that I have been more comfortable and happy with.. Not to mention I can type like 80 WPM on it and it's not stressful on my thumbs at all... I love this device and I really think that you should look into maybe just upgrading to this or one of the torches. RIM got rid of the Storm brand for a reason so I really think you should give them another shot :/ They have really picked up their game on these new devices.
    I was actually joking... I love my Storm2.... which doesn't actually have a trackpad as it's pure touchscreen only and OS6 isn't available for it. Was just playing along with the jokes.

There is more chance of finding rocking horse doodoo than my leaving the BlackBerry platform. I actually have my eye on the 9850.

Russ.
    08-18-11 06:39 PM
    I was actually joking... I love my Storm2.... which doesn't actually have a trackpad as it's pure touchscreen only and OS6 isn't available for it. Was just playing along with the jokes.

There is more chance of finding rocking horse doodoo than my leaving the BlackBerry platform. I actually have my eye on the 9850.

Russ.
    YAYYYYYYYY And sorry.. I just realized how stupid I was when you mentioned that the storm doesn't have a trackpad... I completely forgot.. Oh god I think I'm gonna go sit in the stupid corner... Bahahaha I'm dumb :X

*I had the new d*mn torch in my head as the storm and that has a trackpad so in my defense, I didn't remember the storm didn't have one *
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-18-11 at 07:49 PM.
    08-18-11 07:01 PM
    I copied a note and sent it to myself via SMS. It worked but I had like 3 entries in my message folder saying that I had sent myself an SMS text. So I guess I can confirm that the SMS function does work. I'm not sure I will ever use it but it's nice the functionality is there for those that will use it.

I'm on an S2 and am looking forward to getting the 9850 also. It looks like an awesome device and can't wait to get it. See you on the new platform soon.
    08-18-11 10:57 PM
    Gimp is the best lol.
    I actually got the java.lang error when I installed the latest working version, but not since then.
    08-18-11 11:29 PM
    If the main purpose is to be quick, then it's a success. But I'm have a problem, it random but I'm losing my data when I return to Speednotes. I lose the date stamp and any text after and in between the date stamp.
    ◦color text
    ◦save to .txt

08-19-11 02:03 AM
412 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD