I'm for keeping it simple myself. The biggest things for me are the quick notes to memopad, .txt and calendar.
    08-15-11 01:56 PM
    I'm stating the obvious here, but you can change the font size in Speednotes by changing the font size on your BB. I find that as more time passes I need a bigger and bigger font.

There are obviously a hundred things you could add to speednotes but I'm not looking for a mini MS Word program. What you got now is pretty near perfect.
    08-15-11 01:58 PM
    Hmm, on my Storm2 9550 (running 5.0.0.1082) when I type a note and click to send to sms, it opens a new sms message with my note already typed into the field at the bottom. I then need to open the menu, click 'show recipients' and add the contacts I want to send it to.

If I understand correctly, you are not even seeing the note pre-entered on your input line in the SMS?

If anyone is having this issue, please let me know your device model and exact OS version so I can look into it.

Thanks!

Russ.
    Hi Russ,

I have the Bold 9650 OS5 version 5.0.0.699 platform is 4.2.0.321. I did a test and sent the test note to my SMS. I am showing no note pre-entered on my input line. My cursor does move.
    08-15-11 02:31 PM
    I agree the simpler the better. I do enjoy the memo, task and calendar functions. I would probably use SMS and BBM functions too if there.
    08-15-11 02:49 PM
    Russ, I reported yesterday that I was not having any issues with SMS or any other "send to" options.

What I DID notice was that after I canceled the SMS message, my processor usage spiked, I got plenty of waitclocks and I took a serious hit to battery. The net_rim_bb_messaging app was chewing lots of processor cycles. I did not check my event log, but did a battery pull to clear out whatever was going on.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but I think it may have been related to the SMS sending test I did.

I'm running my own hybrid on a 9700 - 6.0.0.615 sfi file, almost complete 650 java swap, and lots of 7.0 files too. So I'm a bit of a, um, special case. ;-)
    08-15-11 02:49 PM
    I've had some confirmation from the developer forums over at blackberry.com that the SMS issue is indeed an OS bug. I'm currently looking into what I can do to work around it. I know SMS is an important feature for some so ill definitely find a work around of some kind, even if I have to manually code the recipient selection.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    08-15-11 05:10 PM
    Russ, I reported yesterday that I was not having any issues with SMS or any other "send to" options.

What I DID notice was that after I canceled the SMS message, my processor usage spiked, I got plenty of waitclocks and I took a serious hit to battery. The net_rim_bb_messaging app was chewing lots of processor cycles. I did not check my event log, but did a battery pull to clear out whatever was going on.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but I think it may have been related to the SMS sending test I did.

I'm running my own hybrid on a 9700 - 6.0.0.615 sfi file, almost complete 650 java swap, and lots of 7.0 files too. So I'm a bit of a, um, special case. ;-)

To be honest, this sounds like a hybrid issue but I do plan to run some profiling tests on the app before I release it for sale, this will definitely highlight any issues in this area.

08-15-11 05:13 PM
    An idea for a premium version might be something like this; write a note and then have the selection to add it to an existing memo or task. Not sure you'd need the function for other choices (SMS, email, etc) but something to think about. I doubt I would actually use it much but merely thought of the idea if you're looking for thoughts on a premium version.
    08-15-11 05:29 PM
    Russ, do you still have the link for 0.2.2? I am fairly certain SMS was working correct on that version. I went back to the first page and the link to 2.2 points to 0.2.4. I was gonna d/l the old version just to check my memory. Not that it matters much but was curious

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 06:09 PM
    Russ, do you still have the link for 0.2.2? I am fairly certain SMS was working correct on that version. I went back to the first page and the link to 2.2 points to 0.2.4. I was gonna d/l the old version just to check my memory. Not that it matters much but was curious

Unfortunately I don't still have 0.2.2, however, I didn't add the send as SMS option until 0.2.3 and the code did not change for SMS in 0.2.4.

It has been confirmed as a bug in the api code that is only affecting certain OS releases. Ill definitely be finding a way around this one, one way or another.

Russ.

08-15-11 11:27 PM
    I have a copy of 0.2.2 if you'd like me to post it, or an ota for it.
    I back everything up to my microsd card.
    08-15-11 11:35 PM
    Unfortunately I don't still have 0.2.2, however, I didn't add the send as SMS option until 0.2.3 and the code did not change for SMS in 0.2.4.

It has been confirmed as a bug in the api code that is only affecting certain OS releases. Ill definitely be finding a way around this one, one way or another.

Russ.

Sounds good. Guess that's why I don't remember it not working; it wasn't there!!!

08-16-11 06:50 AM
    I have a copy of 0.2.2 if you'd like me to post it, or an ota for it.
    I back everything up to my microsd card.
    That's cool. I was more trying to check my memory because I thought I had put the program (v2.2) through all the tests. I don't think I had much time with v2.3 before v2.4 came out. Since the SMS wasn't in v2.2 that's why everything worked great.

08-16-11 06:54 AM
    Well, I'm reading more of RIM's issue tracker over this bug which seems to be at it's worst on 5.0. I really want to keep with the feel of using the native apps with SpeedNotes instead of programatically performing each interaction with the apps, in other words I much prefer the idea of the native SMS application popping up pre-populated with the note text than prompting the user to choose recipients and sending the message within the code. Using the native apps interface keeps a consistent experience that the user will already be used to and leaves their options wide open for what they want to do with the SMS.

Going back to RIM's issue tracker on this bug, it seems the only choice I have here is to copy the note into the clipboard and then invoke the SMS app and use event injection to programatically perform a paste through the keyboard shortcut. I will also include code to ensure that this does not corrupt the users clipboard contents if they already have something there. I will also add a choice to the options screen so that users can select to either retain the way it is currently done (if that works fine on your OS) or select to invoke the 'bug workaround' instead if they are having the OS issue.

This approach seems to provide the best solution from what I can see.

Russ.
    08-16-11 10:20 AM
    this is probably the dumbest feedback you'll hear but what do you think of having just the speednotes icon at the top left corner rather than the words "speednotes" just to have it seem more integrated with the OS rather than a separate program?
    08-16-11 10:39 AM
    sorry if it sounds stupid, what is a clipboard and where i can found it after i'll copy notes to clipboard ?
    08-16-11 11:08 AM
    sorry if it sounds stupid, what is a clipboard and where i can found it after i'll copy notes to clipboard ?
    The clipboard is an area for moving information between applications, for example, lets say you have a sentence in an email you want to keep, if you open the menu and click select then drag over the sentence with your trackpad (or fingers!) then select 'copy' from the menu, you can then go to another application and open the menu and select 'paste' to place the sentence into that application.

Hope this helps!

Russ.
    08-16-11 12:01 PM
    this is probably the dumbest feedback you'll hear but what do you think of having just the speednotes icon at the top left corner rather than the words "speednotes" just to have it seem more integrated with the OS rather than a separate program?
    I think I would rather leave the titlebar as it is, I like the idea of having the app name there for advertising purposes.
    08-16-11 12:02 PM
    Ok, this annoying SMS bug:

I've coded and uploaded a new volatile build that I would like as many people as possible to test out (even if they aren't affected by the bug). You can grab it from:

SpeedNotes Version 0.2.5-volatile beta

In this build there is a checkbox on the options page which enables the workaround for the SMS bug. Basically, by leaving this option alone the SMS function will work just as before, however, if you check this box then the application will do the following:

1 - Launch the SMS app.
    2 - Start a background thread which will:
    A - Save your clipboard contents.
    B - Place the note on the clipboard.
    C - Invoke key events to hold down the left shift key and click the trackpad (paste).
    D - Restore your old clipboard contents.

This should result in the note appearing in the SMS input field. I would be interested in anyone having issues either with this not working as designed (even if you don't suffer from the SMS bug) and if any previous clipboard contents get lost during the operation.

Russ.
    Last edited by russnash; 08-16-11 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Pressed 'Post' by mistake *facepalm*
    08-16-11 12:05 PM
    One further thing:

Please note that you will need to set the applications permissions to 'Allow input simulation' for the workaround to work!

Russ.
    08-16-11 12:17 PM
    tried both options, does the same thing. opens up sms box with the correct text in the input field but i can't choose the recipient. tried sending anyway and it looked like my network usage was going forever until i deleted the conversation

(Bold 9900, OS7.0.0.317)
    08-16-11 12:19 PM
    I get the same problem before except now I can "choose recipients" from menu and add the name now. Cursor will move only to the "smiley" though and no further. Sorry Russ. Thanks for working on it

08-16-11 01:26 PM
    The clipboard is an area for moving information between applications, for example, lets say you have a sentence in an email you want to keep, if you open the menu and click select then drag over the sentence with your trackpad (or fingers!) then select 'copy' from the menu, you can then go to another application and open the menu and select 'paste' to place the sentence into that application.

Hope this helps!

Russ.
    thx Russ, you can easily be a teacher @ Harvard
    08-16-11 03:29 PM
    So, just to confirm things:

tried both options, does the same thing. opens up sms box with the correct text in the input field but i can't choose the recipient. tried sending anyway and it looked like my network usage was going forever until i deleted the conversation

(Bold 9900, OS7.0.0.317)
    So, you're saying that you can't open the menu? or you can open the menu but can't select view/select recipients?

I get the same problem before except now I can "choose recipients" from menu and add the name now. Cursor will move only to the "smiley" though and no further. Sorry Russ. Thanks for working on it

So, you can't press enter to send the SMS?
    08-16-11 03:35 PM
    i can open the menu , there's an option to view recipients but can't choose any. it opens a screen with "Text Message Recipients" at the top but still can't choose any
    08-16-11 05:03 PM
412 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD