Looks very nice and its easy. The send SMS would be a great addition like others stated, I'm gonna play with it more and ill see if i have any more input. [:
    08-09-11 08:03 PM
    I really like the speed and simplicity of this app. It has a small footprint too which is vital for ppl like me using the Bold9000.

An 'Add to bb menu' option would make accessing the app quicker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 08:37 PM
    Great little app. This screams for fast access via the bb menu. Example: You are at a meeting and want to take down a quick name and phone number. You don't want to be fumbling around trying to find the app icon.

Save as a .txt file on the SD Card (already mentioned) but also have the ability to pull up and edit a saved memo.
    08-09-11 10:40 PM
    Great little app. This screams for fast access via the bb menu. Example: You are at a meeting and want to take down a quick name and phone number. You don't want to be fumbling around trying to find the app icon.

Save as a .txt file on the SD Card (already mentioned) but also have the ability to pull up and edit a saved memo.
    Heh, I tweaked my personal theme hotkeys and assigned this to the X key. And, of course, it is at the top of my QuickLaunch menu too.
    08-09-11 11:23 PM
    Lol, you made the front page of CB
    I personally don't think you need to provide functionality for colors or homescreen images (keeping it simple, right) but I could very easily be voted down.
    Wu-Wei mentioned using a hotkey in his theme. If you want to add a native hotkey to the app, I believe this tells you how to do it: Livelink - Redirection
    Just throwing that out there in response to Wu-Wei's comment
    russnash likes this.
    08-09-11 11:36 PM
    Shane, I was going to make that suggestion as well, but my recollection was that a developer had to purchase a signing certificate in order to access those functions. I admit I haven't read the page you linked to, but many budding developers don't have the resources to pony up for a signing cert in advance of sales. I don't think that's the case with russ (he's one heckuva theme dev already) but I didn't want to muddy the waters regardless.

Suffice it to say that this little gem earned a spot in my hotkey line-up, which ain't easy to do.
    08-09-11 11:40 PM
    Code signing keys went free about 2 weeks after I bought mine (luckily I only paid $20).
    https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/
    Although setting them up is kinda a pain.
    08-09-11 11:45 PM
    Ah, well that's very cool. Last I knew they were around $100. Guess I'm more of a dinosaur than I thought.
    08-09-11 11:48 PM
    Nah it happened fairly quickly. RIM is starting to realize they need developers, and they won't get them charging $100 for signing keys and $10 per app uploaded to App World (which you had to buy in sets of 10). It's all free, at least for now.
    08-09-11 11:49 PM
    Would be nice if you can add hyperlink kinda thing with websites...? Like if someone putsa long URL, they can just click it and it comes up on the native browserr? , by the way, really good app...!!

08-10-11 02:05 AM
    Love it, definitely makes note taking faster and I'm well impressed at the tiny footprint, 15kb is all this app is using.

08-10-11 02:23 AM
    Love it, definitely makes note taking faster and I'm well impressed at the tiny footprint, 15kb is all this app is using.

Yeah, figured it must have been tiny because it loads up faster on my Bold 9650 than even the native SMS inbox and Messages haha
    08-10-11 02:38 AM
    Hey, how about the option to send to calendar?

08-10-11 04:29 AM
    Downloaded and set up as a hotkey on "QuickLaunch". Awesome little tool. Definitely fills a gap. I am a heavy memo pad user but the lack of cloud sync really irritating. Any way to integrate a "save to memo and sync to <fav cloud tool> would be amazing. Also - and I'll confess, this is a bit odd - I would like date stamp to be added but user formatable. I really like the YYYYMMDD format for datestamp but no one else seems to so I end up doing it myself. If there is a way to save a few finger-stokes, would be excellent.

Keep up the effort. Great start!

08-10-11 06:53 AM
    Nice app. I use the memopad on my BlackBerry all of the time. The suggestions that have been posted will make the app even nicer. I've also set a quicklaunch hotkey up for the app. I like how the app will not change even after closing it and adding to it until you hit the "save/send note" key. This is definitely an app I'll use a lot. I've used this app quite a bit in the last few hours playing with it trying to find out if there is any faults in it. So far I haven't found any. Keep up the good work.
    08-10-11 07:12 AM
    ... I would like date stamp to be added but user formatable. I really like the YYYYMMDD format for datestamp but no one else seems to so I end up doing it myself.
    I second that request. I also use the ISO date format because it actually sorts things according to date instead of the mish-mash you get with any other format.
    08-10-11 10:31 AM
    Wow! So much good input here so far! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to download SpeedNotes and provid their input.

I've had code signing keys for a while now, I purchased mine back when they were $20.

I'm getting ready to work on a newer beta over the next few days and am going to prioritize things in favor of getting the next release out fairly quickly. Right now, I would say that calendar, SMS and save to file are high priority. If you don't see a mentioned feature in the next version, its not that I don't plan to add it just that it may be a release or two out. The current version of SpeedNotes is coded to expire on the first of September but ill definitely be pushing that date further out for the next release.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

Russ.

08-10-11 01:56 PM
    Wow! So much good input here so far! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to download SpeedNotes and provid their input.

I've had code signing keys for a while now, I purchased mine back when they were $20.

I'm getting ready to work on a newer beta over the next few days and am going to prioritize things in favor of getting the next release out fairly quickly. Right now, I would say that calendar, SMS and save to file are high priority. If you don't see a mentioned feature in the next version, its not that I don't plan to add it just that it may be a release or two out. The current version of SpeedNotes is coded to expire on the first of September but ill definitely be pushing that date further out for the next release.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

Russ.

looking forward to updated release russ, but really enjoying this one , have used it quite alot!
    08-10-11 02:03 PM
    This is exactly what I've been looking for! Don't make it too complicated, simple is good!

08-10-11 04:48 PM
    This is exactly what I've been looking for! Don't make it too complicated, simple is good!

That is going to remain my number one focus!
    don.new likes this.
    08-10-11 04:54 PM
    I've updated the todo information on the first post.

I'm unsure about hard coding a hotkey with the app, potential here for a conflict with a theme or another app is something I wouldn't want to bring about.

Gdlistns30 mentioned about including voice notes, I don't think this is something I would want to complicate SpeedNotes with at the moment. Personally, I think a feature like that would be better off in it's own app.

Hope I didn't miss anyones questions?

Russ.
    08-10-11 05:11 PM
    This looks just what I have been looking for. Going to download and check it out.
    08-10-11 06:21 PM
    Ok....just downloaded to my phone. This little app is so simple. Here is the part I love the best....... "Effectively, you can launch SpeedNotes, enter some information, then just press ESC to close the application. Later, you can launch SpeedNotes again and your note will be automatically loaded back into the application."

For me....that is exactly what I have been looking for.....to quickly jot down a note or two. I also would like to see the option to add SpeedNotes to the BB menu. I was also wondering if you can make SpeedNotes open like the "Today" screen.... like some themes do. So when you highlight the SpeedNotes icon....you can read the notes you took at a glance. Just a suggestion. Great app....love it!! Thank you!!
    Last edited by Mojave; 08-10-11 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added more text
    08-10-11 06:43 PM
    Ohhhh.....how about being able to choose different font sizes.
    08-10-11 06:57 PM
    I'm working on the calendar integration as I type this and wanted to dump my thoughts on the implementation of this to make sure they fit in with everyones ideas.

Basically, after typing a note, if you then click 'Save/Send' and select 'Save to calendar' you will be presented with a fresh all-day style calendar appointment with empty subject and location lines and your note entered into the 'notes' field at the bottom of the calendar entry. This will allow you to fill in any further info, such as subject, location, date, time etc before clicking save.
    08-10-11 07:03 PM
412 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD