SpeedNotes by Gray Matter Apps

SpeedNotes began as an app that addressed a need I had personally, I've always detested paper and like the idea of using the convenience of my BlackBerry for taking and storing notes of all kinds. MemoPad gets the job done, but always seemed inconvenient in as much as having to create a new empty note and name it each time I wanted to record something. Often, I find myself wanting to record something quickly and then return to whatever I'm doing and be able to come back to it later without a) remembering to save and b) having to leave an application open. Sometimes I would also want to take notes that I didn't need to keep permanently either.

SpeedNotes addresses this need by providing an instant and persistent note taking environment where immediately upon launching the app you are presented with a note area, ready for typing into. SpeedNotes takes care of ensuring your notes are saved to your BB's storage as you are working on them and loading the current note into the note area as soon as SpeedNotes is launched. Effectively, you can launch SpeedNotes, enter some information, then just press ESC to close the application. Later, you can launch SpeedNotes again and your note will be automatically loaded back into the application.

When your note is complete, you have several choices:

- Clear the note and start again.
    - Save or send the note to a variety of different destinations, such as MemoPad, email, SMS, PIN message, Calendar, Tasks.
    - Copy the note to your BlackBerry's clipboard.

The purpose of this open beta is to gather opinions on the usability of the app and to collect feedback reference it's further development before submitting it for sale. At the close of the beta, I will gratefully provide free copies of the app to anyone that provides useful input or feedback.

** Updated 9/5/2011 **

You can download SpeedNotes OTA 0.3.1 beta OTA at the below link:

SpeedNotes 0.3.1 beta OTA

If you are feeling brave, you can also download the current volatile build at the following location, although you should be aware that this build represents the current status of my progress towards the next version and may be in any state from completely broken to working, you can view the changelog entries below for the current volatile build to understand the approximate state of the volatile build, however, just because a change is listed under the current volatile's progress doesn't necessarily mean that it's available in the OTA yet. I will also post when a new volatile is uploaded. In shorter words, use at your own risk!:

Current SpeedNotes 1.0.0 volatile OTA

Minimum OS level is 5.0. The beta downloads will time out on September 15th 2011.

Russ.

ToDo List

- Investigate multi-language support for saving files.

Back Burner List

- Research color possibilities.
    - Notes on the home screen.
    - Investigate cloud integration.

Changelog

Version 1.0.0 volatile - In progress towards Gold release version! (bug fixes only)

- Fixed SMS numbers containing (,),- or a space causing invalid argument exceptions.
    - Added support for custom encoding when saving to / loading from a file.
    - Altered file save / load dialog layout to place toolbar buttons at the top for easier access for non-touch users. File list now scrolls within itself instead of the whole dialog scrolling.

Version 0.3.1 beta - Released 9/4/11

- Update file load/save dialog to be more consistent with standard BlackBerry dialogs.
    - Added 'Load old note area' menu option to retrieve note from pre-0.2.3 beta versions (will remove this option when out of beta).
    - Fixed 'none' reminder time on calendar entries, defaults to 0 minute reminder.
    - Added an option to automatically add a .txt extension to saved files (defaults to yes).
    - Implemented alternate SMS code to workaround RIM bug on some OS versions.
    - Added 'Contact Support' menu option.
    - Re-worked help screen.
    - Added hotkeys to Save/Send popup.
    - Added support for selecting encodings for file save/load.
    - Fixed bug where .txt extension would cause it to be added to the filename again when selecting an existing file to overwrite.

Version 0.3.0 beta - Released 8/30/11

- Cleaned up screens to provide a consistent interface.
    - Choice of fields for send as email (option screen).
    - Automatic time stamp on new memo (option screen).
    - Load from memopad.
    - Load from file (SDCard, Store etc) with progress display and cancel options.
    - Cleaned up startup code.
    - Added save prompt to options screen when cancelling or pressing escape.
    - Save to file and allow folder creation.
    - Cursor at end of note or last cursor position on open.
    - Extended beta timeout to September 15th 2011.

Version 0.2.4 beta - Released 8/12/11

- Fixed ExtraKeys "index out of bounds" exception when launching.
    - Fixed duplicate SpeedNotes BlackBerry menu entries.

Version 0.2.3 beta - Released 8/11/11

- Added Send as SMS option.
    - Added Save as Calendar entry with configurable destination field.
    - Added Save as Task entry with configurable destination field.
    - Added Insert Date Stamp with configurable date/time format.
    - Added option to add SpeedNotes to the system BB menu.
    Last edited by russnash; 09-05-11 at 11:46 AM.
    bagsabhi, kwkid, bloodyrek and 2 others like this.
    08-07-11 08:16 PM
    I'm a pretty hardcore bbnotepad fan, but I'll have to check this out. I'll post if I find any bugs or have any suggestions.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-07-11 09:12 PM
    I installed this and its super easy to use, does what you stated.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-07-11 09:34 PM
    It is pretty nifty. Definitely needs save as .txt function, and possibly send as sms, but I like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 10:00 PM
    It is pretty nifty. Definitely needs save as .txt function, and possibly send as sms, but I like it.

Save as .txt is definitely on the todo list and send as SMS would be easily added too. I'll add them both to the todo list!

Thanks for the input!

Russ.
    dollface likes this.
    08-07-11 10:02 PM
    Date and time stamp would be great for recording important follow up and "add to calendar"
    SpeedNotes by Gray Matter Apps

SpeedNotes began as an app that addressed a need I had personally, I've always detested paper and like the idea of using the convenience of my BlackBerry for taking and storing notes of all kinds. MemoPad gets the job done, but always seemed inconvenient in as much as having to create a new empty note and name it each time I wanted to record something. Often, I find myself wanting to record something quickly and then return to whatever I'm doing and be able to come back to it later without a) remembering to save and b) having to leave an application open. Sometimes I would also want to take notes that I didn't need to keep permanently either.

SpeedNotes addresses this need by providing an instant and persistent note taking environment where immediately upon launching the app you are presented with a note area, ready for typing into. SpeedNotes takes care of ensuring your notes are saved to your BB's storage as you are working on them and loading the current note into the note area as soon as SpeedNotes is launched. Effectively, you can launch SpeedNotes, enter some information, then just press ESC to close the application. Later, you can launch SpeedNotes again and your note will be automatically loaded back into the application.

When your note is complete, you have several choices:

- Clear the note and start again.
    - Save the note to a MemoPad memo.
    - Send the note to an email or PIN message recipient.
    - Copy the note to your BlackBerry's clipboard.

The purpose of this open beta is to gather opinions on the usability of the app and to collect feedback reference it's further development before submitting it for sale. At the close of the beta, I will gratefully provide free copies of the app to anyone that provides useful input or feedback.

You can download SpeedNotes OTA 0.2.2 beta OTA at the below link:

SpeedNotes v0.2.2 beta OTA

Minimum OS level is 5.0.

Russ.

ToDo List

- Send as SMS option.
    - Save to .txt file.
    dollface likes this.
    08-08-11 12:42 AM
    Will try it out. Thanks for posting.
    08-08-11 01:39 AM
    Great idea for an app!
    Looks very promising
    Except of the features that you have already confirmed as on the to-do list (- Send as SMS option.
    - Save to .txt file.), is there also any chance of adding to calendar?
    I would love to be able to schedule then my calendar to either just call the name of the note, or even give direct access to the note (however I am not sure, if such integration is possible for the security sake).

Will do some testing, and if there is any observation, I'll post the details.
    Cheers,
    PJ

08-08-11 05:42 AM
    I don't know if this is possible, but this is actually what I have been looking for in a memo app. since you are going to be able to save as .txt, is there a way to create folders on your card to place these .txt memos? I really need folders for my memos to organize them, and no app offers that.

thanks
    08-08-11 09:47 AM
    looks promising , dl now will try it out!!!
    08-08-11 10:30 AM
    I'll download and give it a whirl.

Just from reading your description, I am reminded of a wiki app I had for the Palm platform which functioned in much the same way....except of course it included wiki features as well. Adding those features may be well beyond the scope of the original project, but I'd love to see something like that as well.
    08-08-11 11:07 AM
    looks promising , dl now will try it out!!!
    found no problems so far. nice, simple note taking app. like the aspect just joting note down then being able to go back to it and then clear or save note as needed!!
    08-08-11 11:46 AM
    Having the note "self title" somehow would ne nice. Say the first line of the note or the first couple words. Would save having to create a name for the note. Calendar entry would be excellent also. Nice little app tho. Will keep trying it out

08-08-11 07:09 PM
    Saving as a task, too, would be nice. Really liking this

08-08-11 07:28 PM
    This is a great idea. Never mind my comments about wiki functionality....different app altogether.

I would love to see send to options that include SMS, Calendar, plaint txt file (on a chosen directory in the SD card) and Tasks, as well as the current offerings.

Also, I will be reconfiguring my personal theme to include a hotkey for this one.
    08-08-11 07:29 PM
    @sam81....looks like we're on the same wavelength. And schedule.
    08-08-11 07:30 PM
    One other thought...there was a different memo app on the Palm platform that dropped in a "last modified" line at the end of memos, which was very helpful too.

It also saved the memos in categories and subcategories (like Personal:Medical Info, or Business:Meeting Notes) or whatever categories a user defined. Perhaps that sort of function could be added to the automatic title function?

Just brainstorming here...
    08-08-11 07:33 PM
    I am a color coding person. I'm wondering if any colors, fonts or italicized print would make it easier. I previously purchased Mini Notes but I never actually use it. Don't want anything to complicate a simple note. I think the easier the better. Seems quick so far.

08-08-11 08:19 PM
    So much great input here folks! Thank you so much for taking the time to look SpeedNotes over and supply your comments.

Just want to go through each comment and make sure I understand or ask any relevant questions:

Date and time stamp would be great for recording important follow up and "add to calendar"
    Great idea for an app!
    Looks very promising
    Except of the features that you have already confirmed as on the to-do list (- Send as SMS option.
    - Save to .txt file.), is there also any chance of adding to calendar?
    I would love to be able to schedule then my calendar to either just call the name of the note, or even give direct access to the note (however I am not sure, if such integration is possible for the security sake).
    Date and time stamp insert would be simple to do, perhaps a function that would just add it to the current note?

As for adding to calendar, can you drill down a little more here? Are we talking about adding the entire note to the notes section at the bottom of a calendar entry? The main theme behind this app is collecting info easily and conveniently getting it where it's needed so that would definitely fit in!

I don't know if this is possible, but this is actually what I have been looking for in a memo app. since you are going to be able to save as .txt, is there a way to create folders on your card to place these .txt memos? I really need folders for my memos to organize them, and no app offers that. thanks
    Absolutely! I'll include this with the save to file function when it's written.

Having the note "self title" somehow would ne nice. Say the first line of the note or the first couple words. Would save having to create a name for the note. Calendar entry would be excellent also. Nice little app tho. Will keep trying it out
    This could definitely be done, and perhaps be used as the default memopad entry title or email etc subject line. I can see an option screen being added where such behaviors could be tailored to your needs.

Saving as a task, too, would be nice. Really liking this
    Absolutely!

This is a great idea. Never mind my comments about wiki functionality....different app altogether.

I would love to see send to options that include SMS, Calendar, plaint txt file (on a chosen directory in the SD card) and Tasks, as well as the current offerings.

Also, I will be reconfiguring my personal theme to include a hotkey for this one.
    Calendar seems to be a popular option! Will definitely add that to the next beta version.

One other thought...there was a different memo app on the Palm platform that dropped in a "last modified" line at the end of memos, which was very helpful too.

It also saved the memos in categories and subcategories (like Personal:Medical Info, or Business:Meeting Notes) or whatever categories a user defined. Perhaps that sort of function could be added to the automatic title function?

Just brainstorming here...
    This is definitely something that ties in with the time stamping and automatic titling. I've just been looking at memopad's categories provision and will definitely research integrating that into the save to memopad option.

I am a color coding person. I'm wondering if any colors, fonts or italicized print would make it easier. I previously purchased Mini Notes but I never actually use it. Don't want anything to complicate a simple note. I think the easier the better. Seems quick so far.
    Something to look at down the road, perhaps the ability to switch colors and apply fonts etc, although I don't think any of it would transfer to ascii text files or memopad?

I'm going to let these ideas sink in and update the todo section in the first post sometime tomorrow.

Russ.
    08-08-11 09:00 PM
    Very cool man. CB should pick this thread up for a blog post imo.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-08-11 11:23 PM
    I have to say...sometimes simple really is better!!!

One idea which would be helpful to me would be the option to pin the note to the homescreen. That would work well for to do lists and grocery lists, reminders, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BeccaLynn; 08-09-11 at 01:07 AM.
    Cathyxx724 and Gdlistns30 like this.
    08-09-11 12:57 AM
    like to see color coded folders to save notes too then wouldnot have name folders
    really liking this simple note app!!!!
    08-09-11 12:06 PM
    I have to say...sometimes simple really is better!!!

One idea which would be helpful to me would be the option to pin the note to the homescreen. That would work well for to do lists and grocery lists, reminders, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    I definitely agree about the simple is better approach, anything that I add I will ensure to do so in a manner that doesn't detract from this experience. I will keep the idea of pinning notes to the home screen on the back burner and see what can be done without complicating the app too much.
    08-09-11 01:45 PM
    You asked earlier about the calendar entry idea. For me if I opened SpeedNotes and wrote my entry, say meeting at 6PM, and then the app asks save as Calendar Entry it could then open the calendar with the note as the appointment and I would then finish setting it as I would any other calendar entry. Make sense?

08-09-11 07:01 PM
    I was about to purchase an app that does something very similiar to this before reading the crackberry homepage. Are you considering a voice note implementation of some sort. I would love to be able to just speak a note instead of having to type something all the time. Thanks for the trial.
    08-09-11 07:36 PM
412 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD