I started working on this app after I got my Torch to fill in a few blanks and improve things that bothered me about the OS.

Features:
    • Portrait Lock Home Screen (Torch only)– You can set this to auto-lock the home screen or do a manual lock/unlock at any time in the app
    • Start-Up Video – That short little intro clip that plays the first time you power up after an OS update, its a great way to notify you that your device has finished starting up
    • Slider Sounds (Torch only) – Have a sound effect play when you open and close your slider
    • Holster Sounds – Have a sound effect play when you put your device in a holster or take it out
    • Battery Indicator – The OS 6 battery indicator can be horribly inaccurate, you can choose from 2 styles, precision which matches the default theme or modern. It will display this icon with battery level in your notification area.
    • USB Connected – That annoying little pop-up that shows up every time you plug your USB cable in, now you can have it auto dismiss. You'll get 5 seconds before it disappears incase you want to click one of the options
    • Status – Quick one touch way to get all vital stats about your device on one screen, with access to your event log and network diagnostics
    • ShortcutsAssign applications to your Volume keys, like having 2 extra convenience keys! Especially handy for Torch users with only 1 convenience key. Volume key shortcuts will be automatically disabled when a media player is running as to not conflict

This will run on any device running OS 6, some features such as portrait lock and slider sounds will only show up when run on a Torch. Also includes backup/restore settings to SDCard.

Download:
    BETA OVER - Released here: SixTools - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    DO NOT restore your backup settings from a previous build or your version will expire.

Nov 8th - Build .22
    ----------------------
    - Will be final build unless anything major comes up.

Nov 3rd - Build .20
    ----------------------
    - Fix for media key shortcuts not responding after some time
    - Added option to disable slider sounds when media app is open

Nov 1st - Build .19
    ----------------------
    - fixed bug with battery indicator turning on when off was selected
    - Torch - improved unlocking/locked orientation when plugged in. no longer closes clock/bedside mode.
    - Start-up timing tweaks

Oct 30th - Build .18
    ----------------------
    - removed global search added universal
    - fix issue with vol keys not working if video was disabled
    - added option to assign app to mute key
    - other bug fixes

Oct 23th - Build .15
    ----------------------
    - added button to test low battery alert
    - added (not tested!) code to stop vol keys from working when berryslider/patternlock active
    - added "Orientation Lock" option to volume shortcuts (this will also show on the 9650, will be fixed next release)
    - bug fixes
    - there is an issue with backup/restore, will be fixed next build, so dont use it!

More features to come.

Oct 18th - Build .11
    ----------------------
    -new ui
    -low battery notification/profiles integration
    -improved detections when plugged in
    -improved timing of video playing at start up
    -removed delay for auto lock on startup (torch) now auto detects
    -rewrote locking code, no longer dims screen and flashes LED
    -if one slider sound was disabled neither would play
    -lots of other optimization/code improvements

Oct 14th - Build .08
    ----------------------

- Added Test Video button
    - If video is not found "Download" button will appear
    - re-wrote protrait locking code, no longer turns off backlight and flashes LED
    - Battery meter can be set to appear when battery % drops below a certain level or always
    - Added option for Torch to unlock portrait lock and relock when plugging in/unplugging. You'd really only want to turn this option on if you use the charging cradle. There is some working to be done with this option so if it doesnt work 100% don't blame me :P
    - Added warning when trying to run network diagnostics with UMA
    - some other bug fixes but I cant remember them now

v1.0.1 – Oct 8th
    -------------------
    Initial public beta
    Known Issues:
    - Startup video will not work on 9650
    - Network diagnostics will error if UMA is enabled

10-08-10 07:14 PM
    Definitely looks like an app I'm going to give a try

One idea so far, a torch and non torch version? Not sure how much memory would be saved by keeping the apps that are only for the torch off the non torch version but I thought it was worth mentioning
    10-08-10 08:24 PM
    Definitely looks like an app I'm going to give a try

One idea so far, a torch and non torch version? Not sure how much memory would be saved by keeping the apps that are only for the torch off the non torch version but I thought it was worth mentioning
    Honestly the memory used would be pretty much negligible, the code difference would be less than 30 lines of code, and if its running on non-touch versions that code never gets run.
    10-08-10 08:28 PM
    Honestly the memory used would be pretty much negligible, the code difference would be less than 30 lines of code, and if its running on non-touch versions that code never gets run.
    In that case....I love it just downloaded it and it runs smooth as silk, great job! and I love the added convenience keys
    10-08-10 08:45 PM
    Awesome Shao!
    You've got 512mb of memory Nozzles, quit being greedy

When I first saw the startup video, I wanted it to play everytime I started up - wasn't worth asking someone to make it, but I'm glad it's an option now
    That volume key idea is slick.
    I'll leave a review after I mess with it, just downloaded (UI is nice) and I'm gonna reboot it to see that video again

Edit: I clicked no on the startup video, and it won't let me re enable it; says video not found.
    Oh, in case you haven't, can you disable the volume thing for TuneIn radio too? Do you need the module for it?
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 10-08-10 at 09:10 PM.
    10-08-10 09:06 PM
    Nice app. Nice UI. Very well done. It's worth it just for the volume key convenience key settings.
    10-08-10 09:07 PM
    Uh oh...when I hit the "Network Diagnostics" I get the following error:

Uncaught exception: pushModalScreen called by a non-event thread
    10-08-10 09:15 PM
    Edit: I clicked no on the startup video, and it won't let me re enable it; says video not found.
    Oh, in case you haven't, can you disable the volume thing for TuneIn radio too? Do you need the module for it?
    So the vid played the first time after installing? Are you plugged into USB right now by chance?
    10-08-10 09:24 PM
    Uh oh...when I hit the "Network Diagnostics" I get the following error:

Uncaught exception: pushModalScreen called by a non-event thread
    Which device/OS are you running?
    10-08-10 09:25 PM
    I agree with John Clark. Getting 2 more convenience keys is worth the price
    of admission. Very nice job.
    10-08-10 09:25 PM
    It didn't play the first time, I was messing with it but hadn't rebooted yet so I didn't get to try it out :/
    I'm hooked up to BBSAK, what files are the video? I didn't shrink anything, but I might as well make sure the files are there.
    10-08-10 09:26 PM
    Which device/OS are you running?
    Torch

Edit: just noticed my info is out of date. Updated.
    Last edited by John Clark; 10-08-10 at 09:29 PM.
    10-08-10 09:27 PM
    Think I found it: the startup video is these files, according to the .280 bug fix thread:
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_toolkit_480x360_9650_01.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_toolkit_480x360_9650_02.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_toolkit_480x360_9650_03.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_toolkit_480x360_9650_04.cod

There's also a net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_05_b
    Those are all on my phone. Is it maybe cuz they're not the same title as the 9800 OS?
    10-08-10 09:29 PM
    Ya I get the same. Video not found now. And not plugged in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 09:32 PM
    This looks very cool! Man you have some awesome ideas shao..

10-08-10 09:34 PM
    It didn't play the first time, I was messing with it but hadn't rebooted yet so I didn't get to try it out :/
    I'm hooked up to BBSAK, what files are the video? I didn't shrink anything, but I might as well make sure the files are there.

Ill PM you in a minute. Ill let you know what to check.

Torch
    Hmm strange, Im running the same OS and no issues there, Ill try something to see if I can fix it though.

Ya I get the same. Video not found now. And not plugged in.
    Checking into it now, I think I know what it is.

I agree with John Clark. Getting 2 more convenience keys is worth the price
    of admission. Very nice job.

This looks very cool! Man you have some awesome ideas shao..

Thank you
    10-08-10 09:42 PM
    Hmm strange, Im running the same OS and no issues there, Ill try something to see if I can fix it though.
    I haven't pulled the battery. Trying that now. Also, mine is on UMA on TMobile. Maybe it's the UMA throwing it off.
    10-08-10 09:48 PM
    Seems to be the UMA causing it. I guess you can't get Network Diagnostics while using UMA.

If you run Network Diagnostics normally it pops up a dialogue box that says, "Device is in UMA mode. Mobile network diagnostics cannot be executed!"

You may want to add something like that to your app.
    Last edited by John Clark; 10-08-10 at 10:05 PM.
    10-08-10 10:02 PM
    Love it.

Would it be possible to let the shortcut keys work if the media player is paused in the background and you are on the homescreen. Not sure what power OS6 gives you but I leave my media player open all the time so I don't have to find where I left off last time.
    10-08-10 10:06 PM
    Love it.

Would it be possible to let the shortcut keys work if the media player is paused in the background and you are on the homescreen. Not sure what power OS6 gives you but I leave my media player open all the time so I don't have to find where I left off last time.
    Idon't think the volume keys differentiate between the media player playing or paused; personally, if I'm playing music, I'd rather be able to adjust the volume than launch an app if my media player is open.
    10-08-10 10:11 PM
    Idon't think the volume keys differentiate between the media player playing or paused; personally, if I'm playing music, I'd rather be able to adjust the volume than launch an app if my media player is open.
    No I'm not playing music at that time. Its just paused but in the background. If it was playing I rather adjust the volume. But if its just sitting in the background I was hoping the shortcuts would work. No need to adjust the volume when its paused.
    10-08-10 10:14 PM
    Seems to be the UMA causing it. I guess you can't get Network Diagnostics while using UMA.

If you run Network Diagnostics normally it pops up a dialogue box that says, "Device is in UMA mode. Mobile network diagnostics cannot be executed!"
    Thanks, Ill see if I can find a way to detect UMA. Would you mind testing one thing for me? Could you go to Options > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network, hit Menu and pick Diagnostic test. Could you do that with UMA on?

Unfortunately there isnt a way to detect if media is playing or paused. I can only check if the media player app is running.
    10-08-10 10:33 PM
    Will this still be free once its out of beta?

10-09-10 09:23 PM
    Will this still be free once its out of beta?
    It will be a couple bucks, I haven't decided on an exact price yet. Anyone who provides (useful) feedback will get a free copy.
    10-09-10 09:32 PM
    I like the auto lock and slider sounds. I will test this app for a bit to see how it interacts withe the auto lock feature in QL3 as well as how it helps BerryWeather.

10-09-10 11:13 PM
378 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD