I love my Blackberry but RIM is ********. Why do they give you 1GB of internal memory and only 128MB of app memory... which only 40-50MB is ever usable???
    07-09-09 02:40 PM
    Blackberries are designed for Enterprise/Corporate use. BB's issued to employees normally don't come equipped with removable SD cards so rely on the device memory for storing documents, data, and media.

Lately RIM has been heeding the demands of the consumer and have been increasing the allocation of memory to app memory. The tour for example has twice the app memory as the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 03:06 PM
    Blackberries are designed for Enterprise/Corporate use. BB's issued to employees normally don't come equipped with removable SD cards so rely on the device memory for storing documents, data, and media.

Lately RIM has been heeding the demands of the consumer and have been increasing the allocation of memory to app memory. The tour for example has twice the app memory as the storm.

The Storm was designed and marketed as a consumer device, everyone knows that. RIM has a "App World" now. There is no excuse for the 128MB or even 256MB of app memory on a high end smart phone. I also don't see any reason why a firmware update cannot release all of the 1GB device memory to application memory on the Storm.
    07-09-09 03:07 PM
    I love my Blackberry but RIM is ********. Why do they give you 1GB of internal memory and only 128MB of app memory... which only 40-50MB is ever usable???

No dude. 1 GB of internal memory, 128 MB of internal memory devoted to storing apps. 40-50 mb is your application RAM.
    07-09-09 03:31 PM
    No dude. 1 GB of internal memory, 128 MB of internal memory devoted to storing apps. 40-50 mb is your application RAM.
    I understand that the 128MB is an allocation of that 1GB of memory. 40-50MB is what is left for applications after the OS has taken its share.
    07-09-09 03:35 PM
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the 128mb is a flash chip separate from the 1gb memory, yes?
    07-09-09 03:47 PM
    I understand that the 128MB is an allocation of that 1GB of memory. 40-50MB is what is left for applications after the OS has taken its share.
    Yes and you can install what you want with the 40-50 MBs you have left. Right now you can not install to the other gig of memory on the device. Maybe later. With that said, you can easily get by on the 50MBs and install a ton of things.
    07-09-09 03:50 PM
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the 128mb is a flash chip separate from the 1gb memory, yes?
    That's what I thought
    07-09-09 03:52 PM
    good question. I hope its an allocation of the 1gb, so then a simple flash update would allow more memory to be allocated to app memory.

:-)
    07-09-09 04:33 PM
    wow really dumb 40-50
    07-09-09 04:42 PM
    I am just having trouble trying to respond to your post on my storm and ever since I downloaded the upgrade.the phone has. Been notoriously slow. Not to mention the aggravation of having to remove programs I paid for in order to download the upgrad ota. Memory sucks on this phone and I just want to trash it.

07-09-09 04:51 PM
    i have over 30 apps/games/themes installed and boot to 47 MBs free app memory still. I have been running for 7 days without rebooting the phone. while 128 isnt much and it should be bigger, its not and you cant change that but you can still install plenty of stuff on there and still not run into problems
    07-09-09 05:07 PM
    Do you really need that much memory for apps? If you want to download hundreds of useless toy apps I don't know if a BlackBerry is the correct choice in phones ...
    07-09-09 05:30 PM
    You are correct. There's only 850 mb of device memory btw, somehow the 150 mb is used somewhere else.

07-09-09 07:44 PM
    You are correct. There's only 850 mb of device memory btw, somehow the 150 mb is used somewhere else.

Here is how everything works. There is a seperate 8GB flash external memory card that comes with the phone. That is 100% its own thing. Now there is 1GB internal memory. There is 128 MB which is reserved for applications on the phone (which by the way, RIM has their OS set-up so that all the different parts of it are "Applications". By doing this, they are bypassing any need for a registry, which would make the OS huge and very hard to use considering it doesn't have a lot of RAM.) This 128MB is for all Applications installed on your phone and also for when they are running. When they are running, some of the memory acts like RAM. Also, you only seem to have 40-50MB in use because the other is being used for solid storage WHICH IS THE OS!!!!! Then there is 879.3MB of memory which is reserved for internal storage of anything you (the user) prefers. This will store everything seperatly for all the Applications. All that RIM did was partition the flash memory and put blocks on it so that you can split one single unit of memory instead of them having to insert 2. Thats all they did.

Any questions? P.M. me

Ben
    07-09-09 07:59 PM
    I am not sure exactly how all the various memories play their part.. I know if what you say is true, then it would render pretty much all the app memory arguments null and void.

However, everytime I download a new app, I see that "40-50 megs of RAM" decrease, so my first guess is that it is storage as well.

07-10-09 07:21 AM
    With that said, you can easily get by on the 50MBs and install a ton of things.
    yeah but the "tons of things" are tiny applications because everyone has to be super-conscious about application memory and an app over 1 meg is considered huge on a BB, wtf thats a 3.5 inch floppy haha
    07-10-09 08:33 AM
    Bwahahaha @ floppy

07-10-09 09:18 AM
    i have over 30 apps/games/themes installed and boot to 47 MBs free app memory still. I have been running for 7 days without rebooting the phone. while 128 isnt much and it should be bigger, its not and you cant change that but you can still install plenty of stuff on there and still not run into problems
    Do you really need that much memory for apps? If you want to download hundreds of useless toy apps I don't know if a BlackBerry is the correct choice in phones ...
    BINGO. On both counts

You can fit a LOT into what's there, and if you really are exceeding that, a non-blackberry device would seem a MUCH better choice.
    07-10-09 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD