Hi. I got my first Berry over Christmas time. I first wanted a Storm but then decided it was garbage and got a Curve. Then for Christmas I was given a new laptop by my parents. It has a wifi card and all the toys and I thought it would be perfect for schoolwork. Well at school there is good connection through the college but outside of school wifi is mostly crap. So I called Verizon and they told me they could sell me a card for my laptop for like $60 per month or I could just use my Berry for $30 per month. Well I cant afford either since I am working my way through college and my parents pay for my cell phone but they cant afford much either. I know it was a sacrifice for them to get me the laptop. I tried to find another way to use my laptop from home. We can only get dialup where I am staying. A freind told me about a new application that I could get for a one time charge that would allow me to hook my laptop to my Berry. I scraped together the money and bought tetherberry. It worked okay but was very slow. It was better than nothing.

This morning I got out of class and went to check my messages on my phone. There were none. So I went to call my girlfriend and I got a recording telling me I was being connected to Verizon for a billing problem. WTF??? My parents are never late on anything!!! I got through to this lady at Verizon and by the time she answered I was pissed and really worried at the same time. She told me my service was suspended until payment was made on the account. Okay maybe dad forgot to pay something. When she told me the bill was $3890 I almost swallowed the phone thinking someone had hacked my service. She then told me that it was all data charges and that because I was tethering my phone without a plan there normal $250 limit on data charges did not apply. WTF??? I surfed and did email and worked myspace and listened to music online. My freind who told me about tetherberry said it was bull**** and said there were people here who knew how to do it right. So I ask you this. HOW DO I FIX THIS? MY DAD WILL KILL ME!!! She said a letter was already sent to the bill address so if I cant fix it I am in deep ****.

How do you guys do it and how do I get out of these charges and get my phone back???
    03-24-09 08:48 PM
    WOW, this one is interesting. I know other that use this software and do not have this happen. Wonder if tetherberry offer a garr. that you cannot over the 5GB. Maybe their software has a bug. Technically without that software you cannot tether with out the feature on your account.

Let us know the outcome. Trying to beat the system, is not always the best idea.

As far as fix goes, i will derfer to the others that are trying to beat the system.

Sorry this has happened and best of luck to you
    03-24-09 09:00 PM
    WOW, this one is interesting. I know other that use this software and do not have this happen. Wonder if tetherberry offer a garr. that you cannot over the 5GB. Maybe their software has a bug. Technically without that software you cannot tether with out the feature on your account.

Let us know the outcome. Trying to beat the system, is not always the best idea.

As far as fix goes, i will derfer to the others that are trying to beat the system.

Sorry this has happened and best of luck to you
    Not WOW - more like OUCH!

To its credit, the Tetherberry site does warn that there are possibilities like this. I also know that VZW is ramping up to pick up on any and all tethering pretty quickly.

As far as getting out of the charges, you might try claiming the phone was lost or temporarily borrowed without permission. I doubt it would do any good, since you didn't report it and it is explicitly against the TOS of many carriers.

Plus, since you did it purposely, trying to get out of it would be blatantly dishonest. We have enough of those running around here.

I do have to ask - HOW DID YOU RACK UP THAT MUCH? How many gigs did they hit you for?

Pay it and learn a lesson - nothing is free in life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:08 PM
    I hate to break it to ya, but there really isnt anything you are going to be able to do about it. You are going to be stuck with a huge bill, even if they reduce it some.

It was probably the online music that ratted you out. Had you just done basic web surfing and email, you might have gotten away with it. MIGHT. Verizon can tell you are tethering when all of a sudden you start using large amounts of data at one time.

Sorry for your luck... but in my opinion this should be a lesson learned. You downloaded a program that was suppose to steal data from a company, and now you want to figure out a way to get out of the consequences of being caught.

Directly from the Terms of Service for Tetherberry...

1. Limited Liability. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SELECTION, USE OF AND RESULTS OBTAINED FROM THE SOFTWARE AND FOR ENSURING THAT ITS USE DOES NOT VIOLATE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATIONS (WHETHER IMPOSED BY STATUTE, CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE). UNLESS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, 3235106 AND ITS RELATED COMPANIES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE HOWEVER CAUSED INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL LOSS OR DAMAGE, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION OR OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS, LOST DATA, LOSS OF COMPUTER TIME, FAILURE TO REALIZE EXPECTED SAVINGS, AND ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL OR ECONOMIC LOSS OF ANY KIND AND ARISING IN CONSEQUENCE OF 3235106'S PERFORMANCE, FAILURE TO PERFORM, OR OTHER BREACH UNDER THIS LICENSE, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER 3235106 HAS ADVANCE NOTICE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. 3235106'S TOTAL LIABILITY INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY POSSIBLE LIABILITY FOR INDEMNITY, DEFENCE AND HOLD HARMLESS OBLIGATIONS SHALL NOT EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNT PAID BY YOU TO 3235106 UNDER THIS LICENSE.
    2. Allocation of Risk. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL CARRIER COSTS, AND THAT YOUR PLAN MAY BE TERMINATED BY YOUR CARRIER FOR VIOLATION OF YOUR CARRIER�S FAIR USE POLICY OR TERMS OF SERVICE. BY USING ANY MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT, THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE DISCLAIMERS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT.YOU AGREE THAT THE ABOVE WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY REFLECT THE ALLOCATION OF RISK AMONG THE PARTIES AND THE PRICE OF THE SOFTWARE
    Last edited by pricej636; 03-24-09 at 09:22 PM.
    03-24-09 09:13 PM
    My coworked had a 7000 dollar bill waived, but she was required to add a data plan to her son's phone. They didn't have one, but he didn't know and they charged him per megabyte. They MIGHT do similar for you if you agree to getting the tethering option added. G'luck!
    03-24-09 09:52 PM
    most companies have a one time fee waiver, where if you do something LIKE this, ( i say like, because this is usisng youre device for something that you knew you hadnt paid for) then they will waive the charges, the only way that you can get this is by calling youre provider and seeing if they will do this. but they have you over the barrell so to speak
    03-24-09 10:07 PM
    Wow - Let us know how this turns out.
    03-24-09 10:33 PM
    I hope you get stuck with every dime. It is obvious it is tethering data because you have a data plan on your curve. Good riddance. Stop stealing. In fact give me your number ill put in a "good word"

Last edited by Weekendbum; 04-17-09 at 08:18 PM.
    03-25-09 03:03 AM
    I realize you're a student and all, but you couldn't find a way to make an extra thirty bucks a month and pay for the 5gb data plan?

You should have used some of that ill-gotten bandwidth to check your usage after a couple days on their web site.
    03-25-09 11:51 AM
    Hey weekend bum... You don't have to rude.. We have enough of that in the world already .. JK

03-25-09 12:16 PM
    I've also seen cases like this were companies will only waive part of the costs. Basically you screwed up BIG time, you are gonna have to level with your parents and hope that Dad can work something out with them.
    03-25-09 02:30 PM
    I'm not trying to be rude. I just am happy a thief got caught. It makes my day better.

03-25-09 02:53 PM
    i once had the bill $1,549 waived totally by T-Mobile because of their rep's mistake.
    03-25-09 02:54 PM
    By the way the move is going nice. At a diner now in northern cali

03-25-09 02:56 PM
    i once had the bill $1,549 waived totally by T-Mobile because of their rep's mistake.

This obviously is not a rep error

03-25-09 03:00 PM
    There is no way you're getting out of this without leveling with your parents. I would at least try to call Customer Service and beg their forgiveness and tell them you'll sign up for tethering. Maybe your parents would be better to do the calling.

How many days did it take you to rack that up?
    03-25-09 03:15 PM
    Maybe he isn't responding because his father already killed him?

Hopefully kidding aside...

I was able to get $257 waived when someones sister went over on her texting (she didn't have a texting plan and wasn't supposed to text at all)..

All I had to do was get them to switch to the unlimited text plan and the woman "backdated" the last months bill as well.
    03-25-09 03:37 PM
    OK, you're busted. Time for damage control. When Tetherberry announced the beta, we went on and on about what was right and what was wrong, so the info is out there, "Search" is your friend, please use it. Lots of us had jobs in college, some full-time, and some of us had to drop out to pay for unexpected expenses. Many of us are professionals - in IT, engineering, security, or whatever, so you probably won't find a lot of sympathy here. You need a plan, I'll recommend one: visit your local Verizon store and apologize, maybe lie and tell them you didn't understand, maybe cry a little, ask them to help you get your BB cleaned up of all 3rd party applications. Ask them if they are hiring, fill out a job application while you are there, be ready with a resume and references, and try to look professional. Ask them nicely if they will split the bill with you, they might settle for half. You will need to find a job asap, because the next part of the plan involves demonstrating to your parents that you will accept responsibility and that you intend to make it good and learn something from it. So if your local Verizon store won't hire you, start looking elsewhere, but you've got to come up with something better than just a good apology, because that bill will go to a collection agency if your dad can't pay it, and that's just not right.

03-25-09 03:56 PM
    Couple that with the TOS for VZW, AT&T & others, and basically a user of this software is pretty much screwed.

Even one of my grandkids, at the age of 12, knows this stuff is bad news.
    Did you say grandkids? I knew you where a father but not a GF!
    03-25-09 04:24 PM
    I think "bob" took off for the hills once he realized he wasn't going to get any sympathy from us...

Unfortunetely "bob" will probably get bailed out on this one. If the bills are going to dad, its probably Dad on the account and his credit that will take the hit if its not paid.

Heck, my son is only 5 and he has to earn what he gets already. The older you get the less free handouts you get. Might as well learn early that nothing is free in life.
    03-25-09 06:36 PM
    You tried to beat the system and got caught....sorry bud
    03-25-09 08:41 PM
    Well it gets worse. Since we are on a family plan my parents phones and my little sisters phones were all shutoff too. And since I only have acces with my laptop when I am near school I just got back here but am on a different network again.

My dad wont speak to me and my mother is mad. The way the letter is worded makes it sound like i was hacking the network which isnt right. I thought it was a cheaper way to do the same thing and didnt know that it was wrong. i never signed any agreements since my parents always do that.

The nice thing is that Verizon has agreed to turn their phones on but mine remains off pending a security and billing review. I think my dad wants to kill me because he thinks I was trying to screw over the company and he has never been late on any of his bills.

Really I wasnt trying to get away with anything. I really thiought it was just a less expensive way like the way people get gps applications instead of buying Verizons navigator thing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get me through this? I know it wasn't right and after reading some of the posts above I really feel like a thief. I wasnt raised this way. My parents always taught that honor was a mans most important thing and now they dont trust me. At least my dad doesnt. In growing up and all he has always been proud of me and I lived up to all expectations. Now this and to be honest if I had it all to do all over again I would never do something this stupid. I didn't know it was wrong. I just freaked out because I knew my dad would freak out and kick my *** to the west coast when he found out.

He is coming here this weekend. He might still do that to me. OMG I am worried.
    03-26-09 03:29 PM
    Didn't you read the terms of the program you downloaded, installed and ran? It clearly states it might violate tour carrier terms and charges may apply.

Buyer beware.....

03-26-09 04:09 PM
    You gotta research what you buy, especially with a service dependant on another service. Ignorance is not an excuse. You ever get pulled over, and tried to tell the cop you didnt know what the speed limit was, or you didn't know about a certain law? You still get the ticket, and that most certainly educates you very quick on the law you broke.

I dont think anyone here is really calling you a thief. I think everyone is saying there are consequences, regardless of your intentions.

I really do hope you get things figured out, one way or another. I wouldnt wish this sort of situation on anyone. Unfortunetely, it takes someone to have an experience like this to make others aware that this sort of thing can happen. My advice, do a quick search in the blackberry storm section for the tetherberry thread. It will be the one with the most replies to it. Post your experience, maybe you can save some others from going through the same headache.

Let us know how it turns out... I think we are all interested in seeing what the outcome of this will be.
    03-26-09 05:13 PM
    This is just one case of tetherberry getting popped. I would if others will suffer the same fate?
    03-26-09 06:26 PM
302 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD