I just downloaded the Google Sync for Mobile application for my BB Curve this morning, and there is now also an option to sync contacts under the options menu. Unfortunately, I will not be able to test this feature just yet, as my BB Contacts are quite different from Gmail -- the latter with mainly just email address information. I won't have time to do any edits after a test sync, in case some of the fields do not map properly, so I'm holding off on it for now.

Anyone else tried it? Thanks!
    11-19-08 07:04 AM
    Yes, version 0.59 is now available and it sync gmail contacts as well.
    11-19-08 07:31 AM
    I just tried it; it seems to work very well. Didn't check all contacts; however, contacts that were in the phone were updated in gmail. Very happy about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 08:27 AM
    Awesome! I've been waiting for this app.
    11-19-08 09:06 AM
    Works Great! Gotta love Google.
    11-19-08 09:53 AM
    Great find...I have downloaded and am syncing now. The first sync failed so cross your fingers and hope for the best. BTW, it is probably my fault as I have over 800 contacts in my BB.
    11-19-08 10:29 AM
    downloading and rebooting as we speak. i'll post my experience in a minute. awesome find!
    11-19-08 10:38 AM
    Cool! I just updated the program and it worked great! I didn't have any contacts in GMail, but I had a ton on my phone. Since I use Thunderbird for email, getting contacts synced between my email contacts and my phone has been a real pain. I'll still need to update both my phone and Thunderbird when I add a new contact until someone develops a working method of syncing reliably (there are some beta add-ons right now but I haven't been able to get them to work), but at least now I have a way of backing up my phone. Hope it works for those of you with lots of contacts in both places!
    11-19-08 11:10 AM
    got it downloaded and but sync keeps failing.
    11-19-08 11:11 AM
    So does it sync both ways or just up to Gmail? If it's up to Gmail great! The ONE thing I don't like about Gmail is that it automatically adds every email address that's used on the account....and I don't want ALL those on my BB.
    11-19-08 12:09 PM
    So does it sync both ways or just up to Gmail? If it's up to Gmail great! The ONE thing I don't like about Gmail is that it automatically adds every email address that's used on the account....and I don't want ALL those on my BB.
    Both ways however, there is no way to either or which I kinda don't like. my BB is my main source of contacts so I'd much prefer to just go BB-->Gmail, but hey, I can learn to live with it.
    11-19-08 01:50 PM
    I okay, gang, I need your help. With each sync attempt, my calendar does fine. No problems there. However, when it gets to my contacts, it gets 2/3 the way finish and I get,

"Sync failed Please try again later, if the problem persists try signing out of sync and signing in again."

Dismiss that message and then I get, Last Sync Failed...same message, yada yada yada. Any advice?
    11-19-08 01:56 PM
    I okay, gang, I need your help. With each sync attempt, my calendar does fine. No problems there. However, when it gets to my contacts, it gets 2/3 the way finish and I get,

"Sync failed Please try again later, if the problem persists try signing out of sync and signing in again."

Dismiss that message and then I get, Last Sync Failed...same message, yada yada yada. Any advice?
    Yea, did the same to me to until about my 14th sync attempt....
    11-19-08 02:08 PM
    Yea, did the same to me to until about my 14th sync attempt....
    hahah. that's good to know, I may be on attempt 7 or 8 by now. except right now, i'm looking at,

"Starting Sync....Received response"

been here for 5 minutes now.

**i also opened this thread on Google's mobile forum, so maybe b'tween here and there, we will be fixed! haha
    Last edited by mscooley; 11-19-08 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added more info
    11-19-08 02:10 PM
    I have been getting the same message. I thought it was related to the contact sync so I disabled that. Just syncing the calendar, I get the same message, however I get a confirmation of deleted/new events underneath the error. It looks like it is syncing the calendar OK and because the Contacts didn't sync, it gives an error. I don't know. I logged into Gmail and it looks like all my contacts are there. Maybe it works and just spits out an error.

UPDATE: Last sync failed with the mentioned error. Then under that-Last Successful Sync and the time it finished which just happened. I will try now with contacts and see what happens.
    11-19-08 02:25 PM
    I have been getting the same message. I thought it was related to the contact sync so I disabled that. Just syncing the calendar, I get the same message, however I get a confirmation of deleted/new events underneath the error. It looks like it is syncing the calendar OK and because the Contacts didn't sync, it gives an error. I don't know. I logged into Gmail and it looks like all my contacts are there. Maybe it works and just spits out an error.

UPDATE: Last sync failed with the mentioned error. Then under that-Last Successful Sync and the time it finished which just happened. I will try now with contacts and see what happens.
    I can tell you that it is not syncing contacts. I know because I deleted all of my contact via Gmail web before syncing. So I'd have clean slate.
    11-19-08 02:27 PM
    I didn't have any contacts in Gmail and now I have what looks like to be all of the contacts from my berry on Gmail. Maybe it is uploading from BB to Gmail but not from Gmail to bb. I haven't looked for Gmail only contacts on my berry. Will have to wait as it is in the process of syncing now and has a horrible lag.
    11-19-08 02:31 PM
    I didn't have any contacts in Gmail and now I have what looks like to be all of the contacts from my berry on Gmail. Maybe it is uploading from BB to Gmail but not from Gmail to bb. I haven't looked for Gmail only contacts on my berry. Will have to wait as it is in the process of syncing now and has a horrible lag.
    Well look-a-there, they are now there in Gmail, however I'm still getting the friggin error message, but I guess the sync is working. All of my BB contacts are now present in Gmail Web.
    11-19-08 02:35 PM
    I have a bunch of dups now in both places. Maybe that is where the error is. The dups look to be ones that don't have a last or first name but are just listed as Company Name.
    Last edited by jbonnot03; 11-19-08 at 02:41 PM.
    11-19-08 02:38 PM
    Works great so far for me! I was using conjola sync before but am glad google is finally on board with this!

11-19-08 02:57 PM
    I have tried about 5 times and it keeps on failing. My battery is drained and will try later on.

11-19-08 02:57 PM
    I just downloaded and ran it and it worked fine.

The only error message I was "Login expired" but after I entered my information again it works great.

All my contacts from my berry have been succesfully synced over.

As another poster mentioned my BB is also my primary source for my personal contacts so I just deleted all my contacts from gmail first and then synced through my berry so as not to have to deal with duplicates.
    11-19-08 03:25 PM
    While I didn't have any contacts in Gmail to worry about, I originally also didn't think that this synced either. My calendar did after installing, but contacts were not in Gmail. After a few minutes, I noticed some slowness and got back into Google Sync and lo and behold, it was finally syncing the contacts themselves. As one poster said, there appears to be a slight lag, but once it is done my contacts were all there, so it did work for me. There was a message that did pop up saying it could be a little slow at first while doing the initial sync but I don't remember the actual message.

I do wish for the sake of those who have contacts in both places that you could specify te direction of the sync, map fields, etc. Without knowing what they put where it may be best to try to have contacts in one place only, though so you avoid getting duplicates, etc.
    11-19-08 03:35 PM
    is this safe to use if i'm on a BES?
    11-19-08 03:35 PM
    I cant find any place to set the contacts to sync.
    I downloaded the new sync.
    Did sync and the calendar is good but it does not do the contacts.

I do not see it in the options of the sync.

Do you ahve to select it and where?

Thanks in advance!!!
    11-19-08 03:54 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD