Doug Letterman's render fast has updated his long awaited weather app from 1.0 to 1.1 with some great improvements.

check it out and get the latest update
    render fast � NWSClient
    05-30-09 09:40 PM
    Nice job Doug! My favorite weather app just got better. THANKS!

My only wish is that I could figure out how to launch this app from my second favorite app QL. Seems one or the other does not play well together and NWSClient fails to launch.

Not that big of a problem, just have to go to the Download floder to start this.
    05-30-09 10:19 PM
    How is this weather app on the dreaded battery and memory drain?
    05-30-09 10:23 PM
    Is there better icons for different weather conditions now ?

I never liked the one that is used
    05-30-09 10:32 PM
    Doug Letterman's render fast has updated his long awaited weather app from 1.0 to 1.1 with some great improvements.

check it out and get the latest update
    render fast � NWSClient
    Icon does not roll over and temperature does not display. The icon shows sky conditions and does not change to temp display. When Icon is not selected the Icon changes to a white dot.

Tried battery pull. No difference. Deleted app.
    Last edited by BerryNick; 05-31-09 at 09:32 AM.
    05-31-09 07:03 AM
    I can reproduce the problem with the app icon in the Storm simulator and I am investigating . . .
    05-31-09 12:00 PM
    I can reproduce the problem with the app icon in the Storm simulator and I am investigating . . .
    Just post here when the problem is fixed and I will download and test it again. This is still a great app and I hope that the problem is an easy fix.
    05-31-09 12:12 PM
    I'm having the same problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 05:57 PM
    Really liking this app so far
    06-01-09 12:14 AM
    I've identified the problem and built a fix but the RIM code signing server is inexplicably rejecting my password. I'll try again in the morning.
    06-01-09 02:11 AM
    nwsclient please keep us updated on here and if u can maybe get the weather icon to always show like beather and bbweather with maybe some minor better icons
    06-01-09 08:53 AM
    Ok. I downloaded 1.11 for Storm, put in my location and then nothing happens. Just sits there in the disclaimer screen
    06-01-09 09:40 AM
    Ok I too am a victim of the white dot.

http://blackberry.renderfast.com/dow.../nwsclient.jad

Use the above link to install the older working version until the new version is fixed.
    Last edited by Bigslam123; 06-01-09 at 11:50 AM.
    06-01-09 11:43 AM
    Here's version 1.13 for Storm (OS 4.7):
    It fixes the microscopic app icon problem. The bug that caused it exists in v1.1 as well, but unlike OS 4.7 it's not apparent in OS 4.5.
    06-01-09 06:53 PM
    Ok. I downloaded 1.11 for Storm, put in my location and then nothing happens. Just sits there in the disclaimer screen
    Verify that you have data service and try pressing "Refresh" in the menu.

If that doesn't work go back into the options, enter the location and make sure that you press "enter" to get it to stick.
    06-01-09 07:05 PM
    Here's version 1.13 for Storm (OS 4.7):
    It fixes the microscopic app icon problem. The bug that caused it exists in v1.1 as well, but unlike OS 4.7 it's not apparent in OS 4.5.
    Still have a problem. Icon does not roll over using 1.1.3 on Storm. You can change the icon by selecting(touching) another app. But, it definitley does not change by itself. You can get it to change one time by touching it. However, it will not change again unless you touch another app before you touch nwsclient again.

Will try again in the morning after reset overnight.
    Last edited by BerryNick; 06-01-09 at 07:16 PM.
    06-01-09 07:13 PM
    it definitley does not change by itself . . . unless you touch another app before you touch nwsclient again.
    I think that's expected behavior. A rollover event happens when the cursor or pointer passes over the icon--it won't do it by itself. Perhaps this paradigm makes less sense on a touchscreen device. I don't own a Storm, though, so the implementation was designed primarily with key/trackpad devices in mind.
    06-01-09 08:30 PM
    no temp displaying for the last 2 hours. just displaying "err".
    06-02-09 03:09 PM
    no temp displaying for the last 2 hours. just displaying "err".
    Probably an error with the NWS server. If you open the app and look at the last time the weather was updated it was an hour or two ago

06-02-09 03:12 PM
    I think that's expected behavior. A rollover event happens when the cursor or pointer passes over the icon--it won't do it by itself. Perhaps this paradigm makes less sense on a touchscreen device. I don't own a Storm, though, so the implementation was designed primarily with key/trackpad devices in mind.
    I understand. In order to rotate automatically the app would need to run in the background. That leads to more issues we don't need.

The Google service seems to be much more reliable than the NWS service. NWS goes for up to 6 hours without updating. Google updates every hour without a problem. The sky condition Icons are better on Google in my opinion.
    06-02-09 03:16 PM
    Probably an error with the NWS server. If you open the app and look at the last time the weather was updated it was an hour or two ago

Mine says last update was 20mins ago.
    06-02-09 03:18 PM
    I just downloaded and mine says "err" also. It is also WAY too small to read the temp in the icon anyway. Love the concept, but the temp needs to be much bigger. It would also be great to have a way to set alert tones when the NWS issues watches/warnings. I'll pass on this app for now. Needs a little more work.
    06-02-09 05:21 PM
    See this for the 'err'

render fast � 2009 � June
    06-02-09 09:07 PM
    NWSClient has just been updated to handle changes to the way the National Weather Service formats temperatures in their XML data feeds. Yesterday morning they added an additional digit of precision so "72" is now "72.0" -- too long for the app icon.
    The over the air download of all versions is available here.
    06-03-09 03:18 AM
    NWSClient has just been updated to handle changes to the way the National Weather Service formats temperatures in their XML data feeds. Yesterday morning they added an additional digit of precision so "72" is now "72.0" -- too long for the app icon.
    The over the air download of all versions is available here.
    Well the error message is gone but I still cant get updates. The latest update is 2 hours old.
    06-03-09 06:38 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD