Now Use Google Voice With Your Existing Phone Number

Official Google Blog: Use Google Voice with your existing number

One of the sticking points with the otherwise highly convenient Google Voice service has been that you had a choose a new number to use with the service. If you had an existing number that everyone already knew and wanted to switch over, you were pretty much out of luck.

Luckily that changes today, with tonights Google announcement that you can now use Google Voice with an existing phone number. Also notably, you can now add Google voicemail service to any of the mobile numbers linked to your account. Think of it a bit like Gmail for voicemail.

Now when you first sign up for Google Voice you can choose between using your own number or choosing a new Google number. You still get many of Google Voices features when using your own number, including the Google voicemail feature you can now add to linked phones.

Unfortunately its not a full number port, and you wont get all of the Google Voice features when using your own number at least not yet. But especially if you have an older phone that doesnt already have a nice visual voicemail interface, the Google voicemail feature alone might be reason enough to switch. The company also says it plans to roll out a full service compatible with your existing number, including other great features of Voice like conference calling, call screening, and listening into calls before deciding to pick up.

Check out the video about how Google voicemail works below. And if youre still hunting for an invite to Google Voice, you can ask a friend for one.

Do you use Google Voice? If not, will you consider using the service now that you can keep your existing number?
    Last edited by mookish; 10-27-09 at 03:17 AM.
    10-27-09 03:04 AM
    Looks good. I saw this on their blog earlier. I read in their help section that Sprint is one of their approved carriers. I was curious if Sprint will be dropping the 20c per minute call forwarding charges. Interesting enough when I went to setup GV voicemail for my phone in the settings page through google voice it mentions something like: Sprint is currently rolling out free call forwarding, until this is finished you may be charged for each voicemail. Hopefully this means that free Visual VM through Sprint is on the horizon. Im hoping sooner than later.
    10-27-09 03:09 AM
    I currently use YouMail visual voicemail. I really like the visual voicemail, but I've been using the web interface with my GV # and love it. Is there currently or are there rumors of a visual voicemail app for Google Voice?

-Evan
    10-27-09 03:37 AM
    10-27-09 03:40 AM
    Ah, I've got the app, just never received a google voice voicemail, only text, so I didn't realize it had that feature.

-Evan
    10-27-09 03:55 AM
    I've been looking for an invite to Google Voice for an awhile now. I signed up in August for an invite and they haven't sent one out. Anyone have one they can send me? Send me a PM and I'll get back with ya
    10-27-09 08:25 AM
    Hurray. I just ditched YouMail this morning once I configured GV to handle my regular cell #'s voicemail. Hopefully Google adds some funny/interesting outgoing messages. That was one part that I really liked about YouMail.
    10-27-09 02:00 PM
    I, too, am concerned about charges with Sprint...really wanna do this, though!!
    10-27-09 08:49 PM
    Ok, I installed the new version and tested it. I use call ringback tones on VZW (music while ringing). It goes through the whole song - then starts a second set of rings. Sounds confusing to a person dialing me.
    10-27-09 11:58 PM
    Does anyone know which option is better?? Your existing phone number? Or a new google number?
    10-28-09 06:43 PM
    Different... With a Google number you can do cool things like having multiple phones ring when a person calls a single number. So, for instance, I can use one number for my clients and they don't have to first try my office and then my cell. Both ring, and I pick up whichever one I can get to or want.

So far, the only advantage to using your own number is visual transcription of voice mail to txt or email and low cost international calling.
    10-28-09 06:54 PM
    Different... With a Google number you can do cool things like having multiple phones ring when a person calls a single number. So, for instance, I can use one number for my clients and they don't have to first try my office and then my cell. Both ring, and I pick up whichever one I can get to or want.

So far, the only advantage to using your own number is visual transcription of voice mail to txt or email and low cost international calling.
    Ok well you get low cost international calls and visual of voice mail. It does really seem like there is too much of a difference.. I already have a GV account. But they just sent me another invite, so I am trying to figure out if I should keep the old one or go with a new account and just use my number.
    10-28-09 08:24 PM
    Ikept my original GV account - you can switch back and forth to test

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 08:37 PM
    Ikept my original GV account - you can switch back and forth to test

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think I'll do the same!!
    10-28-09 08:56 PM
    Ok, I installed the new version and tested it. I use call ringback tones on VZW (music while ringing). It goes through the whole song - then starts a second set of rings. Sounds confusing to a person dialing me.
    Sounds like a setup problem. Mine did the same thing before they made the recent changes.

Make sure your BlackBerry is listed as your cell phone under Google Voice settings, then follow the directions to set it to forward to GV if it isn't answered.

It sounds like your voicemail is looping... when somebody calls your BlackBerry, it rings until it's forwarded to Google voice, which then rings your BlackBerry again until it's forwarded go Google Voice again...

Read the post on the Google Voice blog. The link is in a prior post. Then try setup again. If you tried it before, it didn't work as well because the new functionality was just added.
    10-29-09 03:11 AM
    Does anyone know which option is better?? Your existing phone number? Or a new google number?
    Choose a new number. The voicemail works with your existing Verizon number, and you have the Google Voice number that has all of the additional functions.

With the new voicemail function (see my post directly above), you can give out your Google Voice number AND use GV as the voicemail for your existing cell.

I only give out my Google Voice number now because I prefer it for things like number blocking and transcription. However, if someone calls my cell, they're seamlessly forwarded to the GV mailbox. I have no use for Verizon voicemail now.
    10-29-09 03:16 AM
    Ok well you get low cost international calls and visual of voice mail. It does really seem like there is too much of a difference.. I already have a GV account. But they just sent me another invite, so I am trying to figure out if I should keep the old one or go with a new account and just use my number.
    Your old GV number will work the same as a new GV account with "keep my number."

"Keep my number" is just setting your BlackBerry to forward to a GV number if it isn't answered. The new function keeps it from forwarding back to GV if there's no answer; it just sends it straight to the GV voicemail, instead of trying to ring the other forwarding phones on your GV account.
    10-29-09 03:20 AM
    How do you get your calls to go to your Google voicemail instead of the carrier's voicemail?
    10-29-09 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD