Is there such an app that allows a blackberry user to message others without the other person having to download an app?

Another way to ask this, is it possible to text another person using data to their number?

Thanks in advamce,
    Judson

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 12:27 AM
    Bbm let's you message others without downloading an app as its STOCK in every OS. Other than that you could PIN to PIN. That would be your text using data ( pin to pin is a blackberry only action, you cannot pin someone on android, iOS or a dumbphone.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 07:26 AM
    The ability is there, at least on my 9650, but it's certainly not clearly indicated as "Text Messaging" - SMS, MMS are incarnations of text messaging but the interface (and finding it when you want it...) stinks.

I would LOVE to find an app that just delivers text messaging with an old school TEXT MESSAGING interface and a big, fat TEXT MESSAGING icon . Wouldn't care if it used the built in SMS/MMS -IF- it just looked, and behaved, like a separate function. (I absolutely despise how BB dumps email, phone, text alerts (er SMS) all into one bucket.)

Anyone out there have an app for people like Judson50 & myself? Just a simple, easy to find, interface that keeps the SMS/MMS/etcS messages separate and easy to manage?
    Last edited by lunghd_2; 10-22-10 at 07:32 AM.
    10-22-10 07:29 AM
    I'm confused what you guys are asking here. SMS is "Text Messaging". It's two names for the same function. As far as where the messages show up. You can choose to not have your "Text Massages" show up in the messages folder. My text messages only show up in the SMS/MMS folder.
    10-22-10 08:11 AM
    You can use Google voice to use data to "txt" another number.
    10-22-10 08:52 AM
    With my old flip phone text messages were simple to receive or send. With this BB there are half a dozen different incarnations, versions, folders, etc, etc that all interact with half a dozen other things.

I just want simplicity without interdependence / interaction with other functions or folders without sitting down for three hours trying to find the magic combo that stops text messages from setting off three other message icons and putting notices in as many folders.

We just want f'n text messages to go to one place, phone calls to one place, emails to one place and not have all three flag the other two and showing three messages for a single text/call/email.

The email issue was easy enough to fix - that problem is solved. Now it's just stopping voice mails from showing up as text messages and stop text messages from showing up as voice mails.

Let me ask it another way: Yahoo Messenger is a separate app - is there a separate TEXT MESSAGE app that will take over ALL the text message functionality?
    10-23-10 12:16 AM
    Well you can separate SMS into it's own inbox - at least you can in OS6, and I think you can in OS5 - it's in the inbox options somewhere.
    I only had OS5 for like a month, sorry I can't give you better instructions.
    10-23-10 12:28 AM
    Well you can separate SMS into it's own inbox - at least you can in OS6, and I think you can in OS5 - it's in the inbox options somewhere.
    I only had OS5 for like a month, sorry I can't give you better instructions.
    You can separate SMS into a different folder since OS4.5, cant remember if you could do it in OS4.3 as I didn't have it on my Pearl for long, and I've got them separated in OS5 on my Curve.

Roland
    10-23-10 03:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD