Tried to download Viigo for my new Torch. Couldn't find a download for it. Am I missing it? If it isn't available, what should I use to replace it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 03:24 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM bought Viigo, and incorporated the RSS feed reader into OS 6 ??? I don't own a torch and haven't played with one or OS 6 but this was my understanding...
    08-14-10 04:05 PM
    It is incorporated into the social feeds. You add the rss feeds that you want and choose the time to update them from the options menu. It groups all rss together at the first view, buit it you tap "rss filter" at the top and choose one of your feeds, it groups them all by where they came from. Takes a bit to get used to but pretty easy to navigate once you get the hang of it.

08-14-10 04:08 PM
    I loaded the storm version and it does as normal, there are some display bugs thou with certain feeds not formating with funky large fonts.

I'm using it to copy feeds and move to the integrated rss and podcast apps, I think it works better once you have it all set up.
    08-14-10 04:49 PM
    I used Viigo extensively on the Bold 9000 and considered downloading the Storm version. I tried out the RSS reader that is included on the Torch and it's a winner. It works easily and fast. As much as I like Viigo, for me there is no need.
    08-14-10 05:06 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM bought Viigo, and incorporated the RSS feed reader into OS 6 ??? I don't own a torch and haven't played with one or OS 6 but this was my understanding...
    Correct, with OS6 there really is no need for Viigo.
    08-14-10 05:09 PM
    Couldn't agree LESS.

Viigo was fabulous for organizing large numbers of feeds and being able to see what I wanted when I wanted.

This doesn't separate out the different kinds of feeds, it just lumps them all together. Yes, I can choose to filter, but I have to CHOOSE to do that and then choose to filter each specific feed. Viigo was fabulous. This is just a mess. Oh, and I carefully set up all my feeds on Viigo's home page. Now, will have to manually re-enter each one of them? Not a chance. There are over 100 of them.

This isn't Viigo. This is a joke.

Elaine
    Norman, OK
    08-14-10 09:42 PM
    I agree with Elaine, I miss my Viigo, combining information too much just becomes a mess. Viigo was not just about getting news feeds, it was organized in ways that made sense. This new reader is chaos by comparison.
    08-15-10 03:27 AM
    Viigo also has an automatic URL shortener for use when posting items to Twitter and Facebook. The inbuilt OS 6 RSS reader apparently does not -- which, if true, is a near-fatal oversight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    08-15-10 09:56 AM
    Couldn't agree LESS.

Viigo was fabulous for organizing large numbers of feeds and being able to see what I wanted when I wanted.

This doesn't separate out the different kinds of feeds, it just lumps them all together. Yes, I can choose to filter, but I have to CHOOSE to do that and then choose to filter each specific feed. Viigo was fabulous. This is just a mess. Oh, and I carefully set up all my feeds on Viigo's home page. Now, will have to manually re-enter each one of them? Not a chance. There are over 100 of them.

This isn't Viigo. This is a joke.

Elaine
    Norman, OK
    No it isn't Viigo, but it is very good for an integrated app, and it is much faster and allows me to get the full article rather than an abbreviated one.

Once you filter the feeds, all you have to do is go to the top and swipe your finger across to swtch between each RSS feed. It stays filtered that way and organized much the same as scrolling down in Viigo. If you do that, you can read each individual feed without having them mixed together and without filtering each time you want to switch feeds. Just don't hit the back button when you are done reading a feed and want to switch feeds. It actually works quite well once you figure it out.

08-15-10 10:12 AM
    Thank you, now that information on threading was helpful. I am still annoyed at having to reset everything, and some things I will still have to do another way (for instance, Weatherbug is now an app instead of a viigo category); but it is much more usable this way.

Elaine
    Norman, Oklahoma
    08-15-10 05:41 PM
    I thought social feeds was for integrating the social networks, not for reading news and rss feeds. As a news reader, using social feeds still sucks and I found 2 more features Viigo had that the social feeds does not.

1. Marking Articles as read. While social feeds does indicate that you have unread articles, there is no indication which articles you have already read or to delete older articles. These features allowed me to always know what I have not read yet.

2. Email. social feeds only allows you to post, on my phone, it offers AOL and Blackberry. Viigo allowed me to post to sites like facebook and twitter as well as options to email myself or someone else. Emailing to myself was a great way to save an article for reading later on my PC or just remind me. Emailing to others allowed me to forward to anyone, not just IM contacts.

As for displaying full articles, Viigo also gave you that option. Viigo would have benefited greatly with the Torch's display and the new browser. The positive things being said about the social feeds are NOT advantages over Viigo and do little to console those of us who love and miss Viigo.

All that is need is for Viigo to fix the page formatting and font sizing so that the current Viigo can be used on the Torch. Given the chance, Viigo will beat social feeds hands down. Fix Viigo and let the users decide.
    08-16-10 03:24 AM

As for displaying full articles, Viigo also gave you that option. Viigo would have benefited greatly with the Torch's display and the new browser. The positive things being said about the social feeds are NOT advantages over Viigo and do little to console those of us who love and miss Viigo.
    Yes Viigo had a "full article" "option" but it still only gave you an abbreviated article, many times the actual article was longer. I am seeing that more and more now. When I go to the "full article" with the Torch, I read it, then notice there is a link for "full story" on many newspaper websites. Click on that and you will get a full version of their article, not the abbreviated article they give for the RSS feed.

You may get that with Viigo if you choose, "open in browser," but I very rarely did that since it was so slow on the Bold. The browser on the Torch is much faster. I think this is faster than Viigo as well since you don't go through the Viigo server.

I love Viigo, I basically lived in that program all day long on the Bold. So far I am using the integrated RSS reader and am learning more about it every day and am liking it more and more. Viigo is extremely well organized though.
    08-16-10 08:49 AM
    That's interesting how it's integrated into OS6.

Viigo hasn't been updated for quite awhile. I wonder if RIM will plan on doing an update any time soon...maybe for the older BB OS's.

It's a great program...I use it daily. If they could just fix that text issue.

y
    o
    u

k
    n
    o
    w

t
    h
    e

o
    n
    e

Last edited by Glenn J; 08-16-10 at 12:05 PM. Reason: speeling
    08-16-10 12:05 PM
    That's interesting how it's integrated into OS6.

Viigo hasn't been updated for quite awhile. I wonder if RIM will plan on doing an update any time soon...maybe for the older BB OS's.

It's a great program...I use it daily. If they could just fix that text issue.

y
    o
    u

k
    n
    o
    w

t
    h
    e

o
    n
    e

Just click MENU and select Page View (I think) and it fixes that text problem. Tried to get it to set to Page View by default - but it can't be done in Viigo. I just hit MENU P ENTER automatically every time I open a story...
    08-17-10 02:27 PM
    used to be an ardent Viigo user, but jumped ship to BerryReader...

..never looked back the Google Reader sync is just awesome
    08-18-10 12:52 AM
    Just click MENU and select Page View (I think) and it fixes that text problem. Tried to get it to set to Page View by default - but it can't be done in Viigo. I just hit MENU P ENTER automatically every time I open a story...
    Nice! Thanks for that. I looked around and couldn't figure out a way to make that a default setting. But it's a nice work around for now.
    08-18-10 06:45 AM
    The reason why Viigo does not work properly with the torch is due to the "new" webkit browser. Viigo uses the browser to render the pages when you open the articles. Since it still thinks the old browser is there, some if not all the articles do not show up properly.

I am using a 9700 with OS 6 and I really want my Viigo back! The RSS reader is OS6 is nowhere close to what Viigo did.

I have submitted a ticket with Viigo, but I fear that no one is monitoring them anymore.

Any one have further insight??
    08-24-10 12:41 PM
    It is incorporated into the social feeds. You add the rss feeds that you want and choose the time to update them from the options menu. It groups all rss together at the first view, buit it you tap "rss filter" at the top and choose one of your feeds, it groups them all by where they came from. Takes a bit to get used to but pretty easy to navigate once you get the hang of it.

So in my RSS I see Reuters and that's about it. I would like to add all the other stuff I had on my Bold, like TMZ, NHL, Crackberry, all the other Berry related sites....how do I find them? Do I need to know the url??
    There has to be an easier way, no?

Thx.
    10-06-10 08:58 AM
    I agree with you. I don't believe the social feeds application is anything close to what Viigo was. I still think RIM needs to "upgrade" Viigo to work with OS6.

It really sucks not having it.
    10-06-10 10:22 AM
    I have Viigo, using Storm2 version. I am slowly moving over RSS feeds to the Social feed ap. Instead of finding the URL and typing into the Social Feed ap, I am adding the feeds I want by visiting that web site. Click the globe at top of screen. From the drop down box you get an option to add RSS feed, along with add to bookmark, home screen etc. If the web site does not have RSS feed, the option to add will not be available in the drop down box..

I wish the social feed ap had preloaded feed options like Viigo does, but it doesn't, so the above has been my work around. Also prefer the layout of Viigo where the feeds were grouped by topic down the page. The Social Feed ap either has all RSS feeds on one page or seperated on scroll tabs alphebetically. Still haven't found anything close to the Viigo multi city weather feed.

Last edited by Goldfinch; 10-06-10 at 10:30 PM.
    10-06-10 10:22 PM
    Thank you to other users for pointing out the Storm2 workaround. Was a very rough week without my Viigo.
    10-11-10 02:03 PM
    I agree with you. I don't believe the social feeds application is anything close to what Viigo was. I still think RIM needs to "upgrade" Viigo to work with OS6.

It really sucks not having it.
    In a sense I disagree... Viigo is old, crappy code that hogs resources and lags the phone during updates. Social feeds does not.

I would rather they update Social feeds to have the functionality of Viigo, rather than patching Viigo to work on OS6, because as a base it sucks...
    10-11-10 02:08 PM
    Viigo also has an automatic URL shortener for use when posting items to Twitter and Facebook. The inbuilt OS 6 RSS reader apparently does not -- which, if true, is a near-fatal oversight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Exactly and that's one of the problems I'm having with it - viigo was quick, alternatives are good but not as good or as fast as - RIM really messed up there
    11-19-10 10:07 AM
    I was able to download Viigo last night directly to my Bold 9650 w/os6 on it, works like a charm. If you need help in trying to get it to work let me know. Its very simple 2 get it working using your browser....
    Last edited by Highly Respected; 11-25-10 at 07:04 PM.
    11-23-10 04:16 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD