... as confirmed by the latest video on cb.
    01-09-11 08:32 PM
    Yeah, wasn't that well played? Let the nay-sayers focus all their negative comments on one thing and then crush them.
    01-09-11 08:36 PM
    not out of the box though from what i heard. "as the platform evolves" i think was his wording. He actually said those apps that are shared via the tether arent even shown on the PB once the connection is broke i think
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-09-11 at 08:44 PM.
    01-09-11 08:41 PM
    I understood that as completely different apps.

Edit: actually he did say "as the platform evolves" so that could mean closer to release date or the next version. This is frustrating.
    Last edited by fass; 01-09-11 at 08:56 PM.
    01-09-11 08:52 PM
    It looks to me like RIM did NOT confirm those apps at launch.
    01-09-11 09:10 PM
    I'm beginning to suspect that this is all just a plot cooked up by my Ex to drive me insane and all of you are involved.
    01-09-11 09:14 PM
    Regardless, there will be 3rd party apps to take care of your emaiing and calendar needs. Why is everyone freaking out about this? Haters are gonna hate no matter what.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 09:22 PM
    I have a BlackBerry, so I need not worry

01-09-11 09:24 PM
    my guess is, it'll be introduced for the 4G version.. makes sense to have native apps for that.
    01-09-11 09:33 PM
    right it would certainly have them with the 3g/4g release.
    01-09-11 09:37 PM
    Well, a calendar icon is clearly shown on some of the non-tethered PB videos.
    01-09-11 09:47 PM
    Will it support Exchange ActiveSync?
    slbailey1 likes this.
    01-09-11 10:51 PM
    I'm wondering if they don't mean in the 3g/4g version that's to be released later.

Is it going to support exchange activesync or are you still going to have to go through a BES

To be honest this should be included from day one, not in some update..I'm started to wonder if after hearing people bash it for not supporting email/calendars without a BB that RIM said ut oh we better add support for it.
    01-09-11 11:25 PM
    Regardless, there will be 3rd party apps to take care of your emaiing and calendar needs. Why is everyone freaking out about this? Haters are gonna hate no matter what.
    But the hate this time is fully justified. RIM claims it's the first "professional-grade" tablet. In what sense? What "professional-grade" tablet doesn't come with a calendar or e-mail application? You have to look at it from a newbie's point of view on technology. Why should they work to get something that should be available from day one?

Everyone on here can hate Apple all they want but Apple really simplify everything for the end user - gives you the basics but makes you work for the bells and whistles where as RIM, this time, gives you the bells and whistles but make you work for the basics.

Also, I know RIM is trying to give back to it's BlackBerry users but doing so with the Playbook, they're potentially killing a lot sales. With the current state of the company, in terms of market share, RIM's mentality shouldn't be BlackBerry users first THEN everyone else. They should be trying to get the masses to buy into their product and right now it's not looking like they're doing that with the BlackBerry Bridge concept.
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 01-11-11 at 02:07 AM.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    01-11-11 02:03 AM

Because they can't call it vapourware, the PB can run multiple intensive programs withotu a problem, they have to ***** about something.

01-11-11 04:24 PM
    I read yesterday on Engadget that it will have Bridge which is how it will use the calendar, but then later that night Rim confirmed it will have it's own apps built into the BP.
    01-12-11 07:28 AM
    Did it say if the apps will support Exchange Active sync for the email/calendar or if it will just be a smtp/pop client and a stand alone calendar?

If it support exchange active sync then the PB has move back up towards the to of my list again.

On a side note does the PB have a GPS? I wish they had put a LED flash in with the rear camera though
    slbailey1 likes this.
    01-12-11 07:54 AM
    camera on a tablet is kinda a waste to me. I mean yeah it might come in handy but the FFC is the only one i would care about i think
    01-12-11 11:24 AM
    On a 7" tablet I think it would be useful. I often use my iphone to take a snapshot of a paper or equipment. Also I would plan on using the tablet for work, like if I needed to run out to the warehouse. I could use the tablet to connect to a device or RDP back to a server but if it's something that's physical broke or in question I could take a quick picture for records. I use the camera are more of a barcode reader/scanner.

I think I've only used the FFC two times.

The LED Flash isn't the deal breaker. No activesync probably would be.

I know RIM said they will have a standalone mail/calendar app. I just hope their solution isn't using desktop connect or something to push your email to your device from your desktop.
    01-12-11 11:48 AM
    Did it say if the apps will support Exchange Active sync for the email/calendar or if it will just be a smtp/pop client and a stand alone calendar?

If it support exchange active sync then the PB has move back up towards the to of my list again.

On a side note does the PB have a GPS? I wish they had put a LED flash in with the rear camera though
    Agree, any mobile phone or tablet that does not support ActiveSync out of the box without middleware is pretty much a niche device these days. You mind as well go ahead and and call Exchange ActiveSync an industry standard at this stage in the game.

Most businesses use Exchange. Gmail and Hotmail use ActiveSync for push Email. There's just no excuse for it unless the product just isn't meant for consumers - in which case they should just go ahead and SAY IT instead of showing us redundant gesture actions on YouTube videos (that they replay in the later taped interviews, of course).

GPS is something I can live without on a Tablet, personally, but I can see how it may be important to some (Foursquare, Facebook checking, Fandango, Where and things like that).

Actually, now that I've written that. No GPS would be a show-stopper, as well...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-12-11 at 12:42 PM.
    01-12-11 12:39 PM
    I could live without the GPS. I don't think I'd ever use it since I have a TomTom for my car, nor would I use it walking around a city. I could see people using it though.

The Exchange Active sync is really the only hold up. Like I said I know they said they're going to have an email app, I just don't know if it's smtp/pop or using blackberry desktop connect.

The PB is a nice little device and it should do well as long as you're not tied to a BB for exchange email and if the price isn't outrageous.

I like the Xoom and I like what I saw from the HC demo. I'm just not sure about the price. I think they're going to over price it something stupid like $800+ at that price you may as well go with Mac Air laptop or the slim one I believe Dell has.
    01-12-11 12:54 PM
    yeah 800 is a little steep, 500-600 and i think i will pick it up no problem
    01-12-11 01:10 PM
    01-12-11 05:33 PM
    Wait a second that article said they wont have integrated email saying they will be added later.

I thought RIM said it would have them. I was thinking at release or were they talking about the 4G model being the one with native email as it would be able to go through the BIS

I wish a crackberry admin would contact RIM and get this clarrified once and for all.
    01-12-11 07:36 PM
    You know what would be really nice if the Playbook would work with GMail then you could have all of your calendars, emails, and contacts with you on the Playbook all of the time. You could even use another brand phone with it that used GMail. I think that RIM is missing a large following here. I like the Playbook but want to use it with my GMail. What if I decide to use another brand phone, then I could still rock the Playbook.
    01-15-11 01:58 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD