09-17-13 09:02 AM
91 1234
tools
    From a business point of view why should Rim make things easy for anybody that A probably bought the handset second hand(no proffit for Rim) and B can't afford/not willing to pay for a BIS data plan(no profit for Rim)

Nokia, motorola, htc, samsung make phones with the same form factor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They make profit on the handsets? Also what if it's an existing user who has decided to use their old BB as a secondary phone.

I can't believe how closed minded the RIM fanboys are on this website. I mean I've encountered it before but it's full spec mind altering voodooland, kind of like Apple zealotry. "Our proprietary way must be the best way!" "If you don't have BIS, you probably can't afford it!!!" it's laughable and closed minded.
    07-10-11 09:31 AM
    From a business point of view why should Rim make things easy for anybody that A probably bought the handset second hand(no proffit for Rim) and can't afford/not willing to pay for a BIS data plan(no profit for Rim)

Nokia, motorola, htc, samsung make phones with the same form factor.

Exactly. It's nothing different from what the carriers do with contracts and locking phones. BlackBerry is more than just a device and a platform; it's a service, and it's not free. You want the best? Pay for it. These people who want it all for free, because they get free stuff from less secure platforms should just go with those platforms and stoip demanding that BlackBerry change to suit them. It's ridicuouls, like I said before, why not demand that Apple change its os to support BIS? Because it's ridiculous. You would be demanding that Apple become BlackBerry.
    07-10-11 09:33 AM
    They make profit on the handsets? Also what if it's an existing user who has decided to use their old BB as a secondary phone.

I can't believe how closed minded the RIM fanboys are on this website. I mean I've encountered it before but it's full spec mind altering voodooland, kind of like Apple zealotry. "Our proprietary way must be the best way!" "If you don't have BIS, you probably can't afford it!!!" it's laughable and closed minded.
    Verizon won't activate my old Sprint phone either so I can use it as a backup. So what? I'm not gonna cry about it. If I really want Verizon, or a Verizon phone, I'll get one.
    07-10-11 09:35 AM
    Also the quantity of Americans in this thread who don't know how mobile phones work overseas is also mind boggling. We have things called unlocked phones here over that scary water.
    07-10-11 10:03 AM
    Also the quantity of Americans in this thread who don't know how mobile phones work overseas is also mind boggling. We have things called unlocked phones here over that scary water.
    A lot of americans are on cdma networks, no sim card and completely different rules to what you know with gsm.
    Anyway, welcome to the real world where you have to pay for things.

07-10-11 10:07 AM
    I have an unlocked Bold that will work on your GSM networks. At home, I'm on CDMA with an unlimited data and calling plan.
    07-10-11 10:12 AM
    Talk about narrow minded. You need to look in the mirror.

It's one thing to disagree, but when you start casting aspersions and brushing people with a broad (inaccurate), you are showing your own bigotry and your credibility (which was thin to begin with) is now completely gone.

Not cool at all.

Try discussing without throwing out personal attacks.
    07-10-11 10:19 AM
    This is like crying about android and iphone because they don't come with the option of having BIS.
    "But I love iphone form factor!" Why not demand that apple change it's os to support BIS?
    But who would actually want BIS.

07-10-11 11:26 AM
    Quotes like this pretty much show your lack of knowledge on this entire topic.
    Gmail accounts have been hacked many times and google themselves scan their customers email for targeted advertising.

You should check your facts before launching personal attacks.

07-10-11 11:29 AM
    But who would actually want BIS.

Obviously, I would. It's a great value. I just renewed my contract for two more years. I don't have time for Android lag, and I can't tolerate its security breaches.

07-10-11 01:16 PM
    They are not. They are just using Android, Nokia, Iphone.
    To rephrase this question: Why is only Blackberry insisting on BIS?

Okay, then could you let me know which provider offers BES/BIS on a prepaid plan? Thank you very much in advance!

I am a Cheapo and a Dumbass because I am willing to pay for apps but not BES / BIS? Could you explain your logic, if there is any logic aside from flames that is
    T-Mobile, Boost, Cricket. Cricket charges the same for Blackberry and Android. Don't know about where your at, but here are some that do. RIM does things the way they do. If it doesn't fit your needs then their are other phone manufacturers that may.
    07-10-11 02:40 PM
    Gmail accounts have been hacked many times and google themselves scan their customers email for targeted advertising.

You should check your facts before launching personal attacks.

and yet BIS accounts support gmail retrieval, derp.....
    As I said, this is about NETWORK security protocols, we're not talking about people who have their password hacked due to a keylogger. This would make no difference what so ever if they are using BIS or BES - as long as the account is accessable via other means and the users click ***** links, the account can be compromised.

Furthermore, you're provinig my point, the gmail account is one of the ones in my example - it doesn't support access over wifi due to silly coding rules.
    07-10-11 05:05 PM
    OK folks, cool it before I take the time to look closer at this thread.

There are valid discussions here which can continue without insults.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-10-11 05:33 PM
    As I said, this is about NETWORK security protocols, we're not talking about people who have their password hacked due to a keylogger. This would make no difference what so ever if they are using BIS or BES - as long as the account is accessable via other means and the users click ***** links, the account can be compromised.

Furthermore, you're provinig my point, the gmail account is one of the ones in my example - it doesn't support access over wifi due to silly coding rules.
    I still don't understand what you're problem is. I know what I think your problem is: deep down in your miserableness you realize BlackBerry's the best, but you're disgruntled because BIS isn't free. I use a gmail account, too ... for certain things that don't really matter a whole lot to me. Of course BlackBerry pushes those emails to me. Best suggestion for you would be to just be happy with your inferior Android preference. And before you start the "what if I have an old BlackBerry and want to use it as a backup why should I get BIS" argument remember what I noted before. Most of us have old phones lying around, and it doesn't mean that some carrier will activate them for us, on our terms, for free, or even if we offer to pay.
    07-10-11 05:38 PM
    Obviously, I would. It's a great value. I just renewed my contract for two more years. I don't have time for Android lag, and I can't tolerate its security breaches.

What do Android's lag or security breaches have do with a lack of BIS?

07-10-11 05:39 PM
    What do Android's lag or security breaches have do with a lack of BIS?

It was a separate point as to why I prefer to pay for the entire BlackBerry experience (including BIS).
    07-10-11 05:47 PM
    Hi All,

A quick apology from me, I should've made this clear but I was confused and frustrated.
    Google actually DO allow you to use "regular data" with Gmail and Google maps but do NOT allow you to use WIFI for them.
    In Australia on Telstra, if you manually set the APN to "telstra.internet" it does actually work for both gmail and google maps.

Facebook however is HARD coded for BIS / BES
    Regardless, forcing "3G data or BIS only" is still stupid on googles behalf.
    (Also why is the BlackBerry the only smartphone I know of, where you have to manually set the APN? My Android and Iphone just kind of 'know' what to do and it works)

Anyhow - facebook still needs to be shamed for the forced BIS / BES rubbish.
    You have missed the point completely. The programmers have written the blackberry versions on the logical basis that the device will be used as designed, with access to a service plan supporting RIM data. Taking advantage of this provides a better service for the overwhelming majority of users who have such a supported plan.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-11 05:49 PM

Of course BIS accounts support gmail retrieval, it supports retrevial of email from all sevice providers who support IMAP or POP. However, using BIS to connect to an insecure email server doesn't create a secure email service. It's like buying an elaborate gate and not bothering with a fence.

It's possible to access gmail over wifi from any modern smartphone, even a Blackberry.if you want push email over wi-fi, you will need a BIS account associated with that BB, if not there is always the web browser.
    07-10-11 06:46 PM
    It was a separate point as to why I prefer to pay for the entire BlackBerry experience (including BIS).
    You enjoy the entire BIS BB experience including truncated email, lack of MS Exchange support and lack of IMAP folder support?
    07-10-11 06:50 PM
    Yes. It's perfect for my needs.

07-10-11 06:53 PM
    You enjoy the entire BIS BB experience including truncated email, lack of MS Exchange support and lack of IMAP folder support?
    I enjoy data compression, push email and notifications. Looks like the truncation argument will not exist with OS7 anymore, never affected me anyway.
    07-11-11 02:38 AM
    I enjoy data compression, push email and notifications. Looks like the truncation argument will not exist with OS7 anymore, never affected me anyway.
    Notifications is not a BIS feature and push email is not unique to RIM. BES works better in that respect anyway. Data compression is useful though.
    07-11-11 06:16 AM
    Many of us have no use for MS Exchange or IMAP folder support. I've been using BBs for years now and get several hundred emails a day. I've never once had a message truncated.
    Happens to me quite a bit. When it does I reach for my iPad which does support EAS.
    07-11-11 06:18 AM
    Happens to me quite a bit. When it does I reach for my iPad which does support EAS.
    Sounds to me like you have a perfect combination there, instant alerts on BB and Ipad for work, documents etc, if a file is big enough to trigger truncation it's probably better viewed on a bigger screen.
    Why do you need to duplicate and complicate things.

By the way, microsoft exchange is hardly a consumer concern.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-11-11 at 06:42 AM.
    07-11-11 06:39 AM
    Sounds to me like you have a perfect combination there, instant alerts on BB and Ipad for work, documents etc, if a file is big enough to trigger truncation it's probably better viewed on a bigger screen.
    Why do you need to duplicate and complicate things.

By the way, microsoft exchange is hardly a consumer concern.

You are right, a large email would typically have large documents attached that are better read on the iPad's larger screen but it would still be helpful to be able to read the body of the email on my BB.

This solution wouldn't be available to me if I replaced my iPad with a PB which is one reason that, in its current state, the Playbook is unusable for me.

07-11-11 07:02 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD