Just thought I would share this.

I just bought a new 12' S60 and the Volvo app allows you to check your fuel, lock your doors, tells you if your alarm is going off, and some other stuff right from your smartphone, which is only available for the iPhone and Android OS.

I asked the GM of the dealership that I know why it wasn't avail for BB and he said he was told by Corporate that Volvo doesn't see a need for it as market research showed that consumers who are in the demographic to purchase a new Volvo are by in far more likely to own either an iPhone or Android as opposed to a BB.

But this also goes to a bigger point I have noticed here on CB that some people feel apps are overrated since you can go right to the web page - this is a prime example of an app doing something/delivering content to its user that a webpage can't or doesn't do.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-24-11 at 03:10 PM.
    07-24-11 12:01 PM
    Nice car! I have an XC90 that I love. Volvo builds great cars. Hope you enjoy it.

Agreed. I used to think apps were worthless but they are playing more of a role. For example, iWork is a suite of apps Apple offers. It is something I have already purchased on my iPad. Great Keynote presentation abilities from the iPad.

I think the real reason Volvo, Mercedes, and others are supporting iPhone mostly (with Android and BB as an afterthought) are that I hear it is easier to write an app for iOS vs. BB and most people today are moving away from RIM in markets where the iPhone is offered.

This is another reason I am seriously considering leaving BB to go to iPhone 5. I am also considering purchasing a new S80, BMW, or MB, so good to know. Thanks.
    07-24-11 02:22 PM
    Nice car! I have an XC90 that I love. Volvo builds great cars. Hope you enjoy it.

Agreed. I used to think apps were worthless but they are playing more of a role. For example, iWork is a suite of apps Apple offers. It is something I have already purchased on my iPad. Great Keynote presentation abilities from the iPad.

I think the real reason Volvo, Mercedes, and others are supporting iPhone mostly (with Android and BB as an afterthought) are that I hear it is easier to write an app for iOS vs. BB and most people today are moving away from RIM in markets where the iPhone is offered.

This is another reason I am seriously considering leaving BB to go to iPhone 5. I am also considering purchasing a new S80, BMW, or MB, so good to know. Thanks.
    Thanks... I love the car. And the app is really cool as it gives you valuable information.

I think another big part of it has to do with the fact that at least on the newer models iPod adaptor is a fairly popular option if not standard. On my car it was standard.

I can see a lot people who own an iPod getting an iPhone to consolidate down to one device, especially given car my car where bluetooth is standard and you can operate everything through Sensus. I am considering going to one device for my music and phone, but I want to check out the 9900 and new iPhone before doing anything.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-24-11 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
    07-24-11 03:05 PM
    That is one reason I am thinking of going to iOS. The apps are nice but for me, it will be nice to have one device to keep track of, than use multiple devices and manage everything on them.

Planning on looking at iPhone in the future. I am skipping 9900 but hope it will be a success.
    07-24-11 11:13 PM
    I have a low tech app for that!
    It's called my dashboard and it came free with the car allready installed!
    07-25-11 07:02 AM
    I have a low tech app for that!
    It's called my dashboard and it came free with the car allready installed!
    I guess your missing the point because with the app, so long as you have phone reception it will tell you if the alarming is going off - so if I am at dinner and someone is trying to break in my phone will immediately notify me.

Not to mention, a lot of people sometimes forget they are low on fuel when they get to a place and that they need to fill up. Say you get to the airport, park and run to your flight... you'll get gas when you get back. Then after a fews day you arrive back late and get into the car again and you end up getting stuck because you forgot the tank is on empty. At least with this option it will remind you before you even start the car that you're low on gas.

I know you would look a the gas gage... but honestly if you're not going to add something constructive (pros and cons) to this thread please keep don't post anything.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-25-11 at 01:33 PM.
    07-25-11 09:43 AM
    I guess another reason why I won't buy a volvo, or an s60 at that :P
    07-25-11 10:49 AM
    I guess another reason why I won't buy a volvo, or an s60 at that :P
    Well I know for fact BMW and MB are following the same MO with their apps.

Essentially I think RIM needs new blood with new ideas to work in an ever changing landscape. RIM was an innovator a few years back but they've gotten lazy by not taking the competition seriously and now they are playing catch up, at least in the U.S. market they are.

And if the rumors are true that Apple is making a low cost version of the iPhone for the Asian, Pacific, African and Mid-East markets then RIM needs to act now and not after the fact.

To deny apps are not important, all one has to do is look at Apple's Q2 earnings for this year to get a taste of reality.
    07-25-11 11:33 AM
    Well I know for fact BMW and MB are following the same MO with their apps.

Essentially I think RIM needs new blood with new ideas to work in an ever changing landscape. RIM was an innovator a few years back but they've gotten lazy by not taking the competition seriously and now they are playing catch up, at least in the U.S. market they are.

And if the rumors are true that Apple is making a low cost version of the iPhone for the Asian, Pacific, African and Mid-East markets then RIM needs to act now and not after the fact.

To deny apps are not important, all one has to do is look at Apple's Q2 earnings for this year to get a taste of reality.
    Agreed. To say you will judge the type of car you buy on whether the app is available or not is rather to say the least. Not many car manufacturers offer apps for Blackberry. I think MB does, but it is very limited and does not allow the integration iPhone does. Apps are where it is at.

I agree with you Robert, having an app that corresponds to the car you just spent good money on would be nice.

In any case, I hope you find what you are looking for and go enjoy that car!
    07-25-11 01:09 PM
    Agreed. To say you will judge the type of car you buy on whether the app is available or not is rather to say the least. Not many car manufacturers offer apps for Blackberry. I think MB does, but it is very limited and does not allow the integration iPhone does. Apps are where it is at.

I agree with you Robert, having an app that corresponds to the car you just spent good money on would be nice.

In any case, I hope you find what you are looking for and go enjoy that car!
    I love it. I have the app for my Samsung Vibrant but it looks and feels better on the iPhone.
    07-25-11 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD