BlackBerry App World - NHL Ice Time 2010

I know there's some hockey fans on CB--I saw this and almost wet myself! Unfortunately, even though it says it's compatible with my device (9700), the DL apparently isn't available yet.

However, from snooping around online, I happened upon this link describing the iPhone version:

National Hockey League Unveils Official NHL Ice Time™ 2010 App for Fans in Europe | Business Wire

Yes, there's apparently a paid version also that includes condensed game highlights, archived videos, radio feeds, and a ton more content. As a displaced Red Wings fan living in Minnesota, I'm not sure I could pay for this app fast enough.

The pricing for the iPhone app is apparently $7.99, which does beg the question of "value" given that the season is over in about a week and you're likely paying for a 2-month playoff stretch. Still, the MLB app is $14.99, and I think I'd rather own this one, out of the two!

Anybody have more info on this?
    03-30-10 12:06 PM
    Okay, so I am a little nervous that some or all of this is only available in Europe. That would be colossally DUMB if that were the case, but the iPhone articles suggest that. However, the AppWorld link above suggests that "United States" is a supported country, so I'm mildly confused. What would be possible drawback to making premium content available to U.S. & Canadian hockey fans and charging them for it?
    03-30-10 12:24 PM
    That would be a nice app to have. Maybe it's "pending approval". I dunno, it doesn't come up in a regular search in app world. App World can be a lot like bizarro world at times.
    03-30-10 01:05 PM
    It may not be available to AT&T users, lemme check my other phone it's a Verizon phone.

Yup...It's available to Verizon customers. Screwed again by "the man".
    Last edited by Lefty923; 03-30-10 at 01:11 PM.
    03-30-10 01:08 PM
    This would be awesome! Trying to download now using my Verizon Tour...
    03-30-10 01:12 PM
    It may not be available to AT&T users, lemme check my other phone it's a Verizon phone.

Yup...It's available to Verizon customers. Screwed again by "the man".
    Oh that SUCKS. This exclusivity stuff stinks. Buying a smartphone is a complicated and expensive decision that's highly dependant on how you feel about the hardware, and committing hundreds of dollars up front and thousands of dollars down the road for data plans and services. What makes these companies think "Oh, I was going to buy an iPhone on AT & T, but I see now that the NHL has an exclusive app for Verizon. Hey, I think I'll switch to Verizon!"???

This stuff is much more of a marketing opportunity for the league than it is for cellphone carriers. If I go drop $15 on MLB At-Bat, that's going to be a season-long relationship with the league listening to games, watching highlights, etc., which I wouldn't have done without the app. This is like Versus all over again...if you're the NHL, why do you WANT your product funneled down narrow pipelines that exclude everyone else?

(By the way, don't even waste your time with the Versus Hockey app, that thing's a piece of crap. At least we have ScoreMobile, Hockey Scores, and The Hockey News...sigh.)
    03-30-10 01:17 PM
    This would be awesome! Trying to download now using my Verizon Tour...
    Blah blah blah, enjoy. Rejoice in your status as "the chosen ones" (Verizon customers). It's not enough that we have the repeated kick to the nuts with all your 3G Map ads (which are true). But hey, at least we're paying to have Luke Wilson in our commercials (count it!)

Just kidding, man, hope the NHL app is everything I dreamed it was for you. Cheers.
    03-30-10 01:20 PM
    How dumb its exlusive for verizon
    03-30-10 01:25 PM
    Hey Storm, I DL'd it onto my Storm2 (work) and dinked with it for a couple minutes...it's not all I had hope it would be. Quite honestly, I don't care much for the Storm2. This app only works if you hold the phone vertically and it won't let me hide the keyboard. So if that's any consolation. But I agree with you, all the apps should be available to every carrier, it's ridiculous.

And don't get me started on Versus. I cringe every time the Avs games are aired on it. I even can't stand the commentators.
    03-30-10 01:28 PM
    Maybe someone will be able to get the link like they did for the nfl and nascar apps from sprint
    03-30-10 01:37 PM
    Blah blah blah, enjoy. Rejoice in your status as "the chosen ones" (Verizon customers). It's not enough that we have the repeated kick to the nuts with all your 3G Map ads (which are true). But hey, at least we're paying to have Luke Wilson in our commercials (count it!)

Just kidding, man, hope the NHL app is everything I dreamed it was for you. Cheers.
    Sorry man... Exclusivity sucks.

I must say though one of the features it does have that I've been wanting with ScoreMobile is the ability to see the play by play (similar to Gamecenter on NHL.com) and all of the shot info. Plus you can update every 10sec during the game so you get pretty fast updates.
    03-30-10 01:38 PM
    Sorry man... Exclusivity sucks.

I must say though one of the features it does have that I've been wanting with ScoreMobile is the ability to see the play by play (similar to Gamecenter on NHL.com) and all of the shot info. Plus you can update every 10sec during the game so you get pretty fast updates.
    ok ha ha you can stop im really getting jealous, i want this app
    03-30-10 01:51 PM
    You should be able to download with a simulator and then have it that way. It might give an invalid COD though. I have not tested it.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 03-30-10 at 02:01 PM.
    03-30-10 01:59 PM
    awesome!!! /wipes tear away.. never been so happy to be an overcharged Verizon customer
    03-30-10 02:05 PM
    You should be able to download with a simulator and then have it that way. It might give an invalid COD though. I have not tested it.
    Can you share how one would do that?
    03-30-10 02:08 PM
    Download OTA here: http://bit.ly/bOfVJk
    03-30-10 02:21 PM
    Hey Storm, I DL'd it onto my Storm2 (work) and dinked with it for a couple minutes...it's not all I had hope it would be. Quite honestly, I don't care much for the Storm2. This app only works if you hold the phone vertically and it won't let me hide the keyboard. So if that's any consolation. But I agree with you, all the apps should be available to every carrier, it's ridiculous.

And don't get me started on Versus. I cringe every time the Avs games are aired on it. I even can't stand the commentators.

I just downloaded it and it works great on my S2...make sure you disable compatibility mode..that gets rid of the keyboard
    03-30-10 02:29 PM
    Download OTA here: http://bit.ly/bOfVJk
    Thanks! DL'ed it. This appears to be the Lite version. It's okay...I guess the only thing really new about this is the player profiles with stats. The layout on the standings and matchups are pretty nice. Any way to upgrade to the full version using just this, though? It says that an "Upgrade" bar appears if you click on a game, but I haven't seen it yet. Also wonder if that's even possible, being that I'm not with Verizon.
    Last edited by StormJH1; 03-30-10 at 02:58 PM.
    03-30-10 02:47 PM
    It's terrible. Why offer it to Storm owners if you only get 1/2 a screen?

I like how they throw the upgrade banner at the bottom of the scroll too.

EDIT: DAMMIT! I keep forgetting that darn compatibility mode thing.
    03-30-10 02:49 PM
    So is that a touch or non-touch version? I see you have a Bold 9000.
    I'm not sure whether it's device specific.
    03-30-10 02:53 PM
    awesome great thanks alot
    03-30-10 03:13 PM
    I'm not sure whether it's device specific.
    Yeah, I don't think it is. Displays fine on my Bold 9700.

My question would be: If I have the free version installed, can I upgrade to the paid version if I'm AT&T?
    03-30-10 04:19 PM
    Thanks for the download. Cool app, but I was still wanting more. Would be nice to see the schedule in my time zone.
    03-30-10 06:08 PM
    After playing around with it for a bit and using it during the current live games, I feel that Scoremobile is still the better product.

Pros:
    - Clean interface
    - Play by play along with "ice tracker" for shot and hit info.

Cons
    - Tries to update everytime when navigating forward or backwards which slows things down
    - Update is slower than Scoremobile
    - Homescreen icon does not update with game info similar to Scoremobile
    - Standings are incorrect in the Conference view. Top 3 team should be the division leader and then the team with most points. They currently have the Sharks as 1st and Coyotes as 2nd in the Western Conference. Coyotes should be 4th.

Also, I don't see any way to upgrade to the premium version in order to view videos and hear live broadcasts. Maybe the premium version is not ready yet?
    03-30-10 06:25 PM
    The pictures of the premium version from the link look to be like they were taken on an iPhone, but their app store does not have that app. I think they meant to do this as a test run for the playoffs, and then come out with a full version next season that will be similar to the MLB at bat app.
    03-30-10 08:07 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD