I've never upgraded my OS before, but I'm contemplating doing so. Forgive me if this has been asked/answered previously, but will using an OS that's not an official release by my carrier void my warranty?

TIA
    Your carrier warranty... yes
    Manufacturer warranty... no

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 02:09 AM
    My philosophy is this. If you need to return it for warranty replacement, it's either a hardware issue, and the OS can be rolled back, or the phone is bricked for life, still going to be hardware, but they won't have a clue you've changed OS either. There may be a couple, but I don't recall ever seeing a thread titled "My Warranty Was Refused, I Had Another Carrier's OS Installed".

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

05-01-10 06:13 AM
    man i got my first dropped call/phone restart since loading .593 for a mth
    05-01-10 09:25 AM
    I have noticed that the UMA calling on .593 has improved 'slightly' with time. Granted i also set mine up to Scan only Single profiles and save to which i want at the time, which i believe really helps the UMA call quality. Upon first installing this OS, the uma was horrible. And many have reported the same. It seems to have improved over time, as i use UMA at home and while in the office at work where we barely get a tower signal. Have also found if you can resist moving around a bunch while on UMA, it seems to improve the call performance. Granted, there is still some ghosting of the receiving voice you hear, but i have asked many on the other end how MY voice clarity was, and all responded Very Good, with no hiccups or blips. Which was a relief that at least half of the call was solid.
    05-01-10 06:50 PM
    Your carrier warranty... yes
    Manufacturer warranty... no

Thanks, that is good to know. I will wait on my carrier to release an update, hopefully they will soon
    05-01-10 07:35 PM
    My philosophy is this. If you need to return it for warranty replacement, it's either a hardware issue, and the OS can be rolled back, or the phone is bricked for life, still going to be hardware, but they won't have a clue you've changed OS either. There may be a couple, but I don't recall ever seeing a thread titled "My Warranty Was Refused, I Had Another Carrier's OS Installed".

Lol...Good point!
    05-02-10 02:22 AM
    is it normal for the update to only take like 5 minutes? lol, i remember months ago it'd take like an hour. now it takes like 5 minutes.. weirdd.

EDIT: wowww.. nevermind.. i forgot to load it once i downloaded it...
    Last edited by agalihaxo; 05-02-10 at 01:05 PM.
    05-02-10 12:58 PM
    When is the 9700 getting a .6XX leak????? Seems like every other BB known to man has in the last few days...

05-02-10 05:57 PM
    When is the 9700 getting a .6XX leak????? Seems like every other BB known to man has in the last few days...

Leaks happen when they happen. You want a great 6xx OS, try this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pwn...-files-462723/

05-02-10 06:33 PM
    Most of the other OS 5 compatible devices have got a .6xx leak these days. I prefer not to play with hybrids.. come on guys, 9700 users want a newer leak (not that I can complain about .593).
    05-02-10 07:25 PM
    I'll put in a word

I hear tell you�re doin� well, good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm, and you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

05-02-10 07:31 PM
    The file is taken FOREVER to dwnload! Did anyone else have this issue? Seems like I'm stuck at 108 of 123 mb...so close yet so far away Any suggestions?
    05-02-10 09:18 PM
    If there are still good links for the leak, use a mega from there.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*

05-02-10 10:13 PM
    Ugggh!!!! I can't find the installed file....can someone help please???? this is my first OS upgrade.

TIA
    05-02-10 11:46 PM
    Unless you're using a language other than English for your PC OS, this should help you love:

05-02-10 11:49 PM
    Picked up my 9700 this morning and by noon the OS was changed
    05-03-10 12:42 AM
    Oh man, how come 9630 getting 2 OS leaks, storm, even pearl 3G is getting leak. Why no 9700 leaks?

Anyway, is anyone noticing that image loading is slow with this build .593?
    05-03-10 02:00 AM
    Oh man, how come 9630 getting 2 OS leaks, storm, even pearl 3G is getting leak. Why no 9700 leaks?

Anyway, is anyone noticing that image loading is slow with this build .593?
    Connect to your PC with mass storage enabled, run a search of the card for *.dat, delete all of them and do either a soft boot or battery pull. Should speed those images up.

05-03-10 05:06 AM
    Connect to your PC with mass storage enabled, run a search of the card for *.dat, delete all of them and do either a soft boot or battery pull. Should speed those images up.
    You can also do this from your device...

Files > My Files > Media Card > BlackBerry > Menu > Show Hidden > System > Media > Thumbs480x360.dat > Menu > Delete

This will cure any problems with pixelated pictures as well

05-03-10 07:24 AM
    You can also do this from your device...

Files > My Files > Media Card > BlackBerry > Menu > Show Hidden > System > Media > Thumbs480x360.dat > Menu > Delete

This will cure any problems with pixelated pictures as well

Ahhhh! You found the cure, and an explanation for why I didn't have the problem. I always clear them on an OS install, and with over 20 picture folders, much easier on the PC. Glad you gots no grainy pics no more Phil

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*

05-03-10 07:42 AM
    Ahhhh! You found the cure, and an explanation for why I didn't have the problem. I always clear them on an OS install, and with over 20 picture folders, much easier on the PC. Glad you gots no grainy pics no more Phil
    Yup, finally fixed it... all thanks to you Wulf

You gave me the idea with the .DAT files, so I just did a bit of experimenting. I noticed that the device backs up randomly to the media card (usually after a reboot), creating a new .DAT file. Everytime a new file is created, my pics started pixelating. All I did was delete the .DAT files, and renamed the Media folder to Media1 to prevent any further files being created to the folder.

Pics do load up slightly slower than before, but that's a small price to pay for no more pixelation issues
    05-03-10 08:02 AM
    Yup, finally fixed it... all thanks to you Wulf

You gave me the idea with the .DAT files, so I just did a bit of experimenting. I noticed that the device backs up randomly to the media card (usually after a reboot), creating a new .DAT file. Everytime a new file is created, my pics started pixelating. All I did was delete the .DAT files, and renamed the Media folder to Media1 to prevent any further files being created to the folder.

Pics do load up slightly slower than before, but that's a small price to pay for no more pixelation issues
    Awesome, and a brilliant solution I must say. Never would have thought to trick it like that.

I hear tell you�re doin� well, good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm, and you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

05-03-10 08:06 AM
    Ugggh!!!! I can't find the installed file....can someone help please???? this is my first OS upgrade.

TIA
    Unless you're using a language other than English for your PC OS, this should help you love:

Many, many thanks to you I'm on Windows 7, so I had to include (x86) in the file name. My first upgrade was a success!!!!Whewwhoooo
    05-03-10 08:55 AM
    I haven't messed around with .593 enough, but when i put identical app for app cloned 9700's side by side, one with .593 and one with .405, their startup times from a full bpull were within 5 seconds of each other every time.

where are people coming up with .593 reboots being quicker?
    05-03-10 03:05 PM
    I haven't messed around with .593 enough, but when i put identical app for app cloned 9700's side by side, one with .593 and one with .405, their startup times from a full bpull were within 5 seconds of each other every time.

where are people coming up with .593 reboots being quicker?
    Same place they get their boosts of "it's snappier", "this OS has such a better battery life", etc, etc, etc... it's all hot air.
    05-03-10 06:06 PM
383 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD