Hey, I just got my storm and am running .75. I've read a lot about the memory leaks. How much app memory should I be seeing normally? I try to close all the applications after using them. I've been seeing 20's lately, sometimes low 30's. After a battery pull, it goes up of course. I haven't cleaned up the home screen yet, but that seems like it's hit or miss. Just curious if app memory in the 20's is good or bad. Sorry for the newbie question.
    01-05-09 12:51 PM
    To be honest I'm not sure. Mine ranges between the mid 20's and 40's throughout the day.

I'm running .83 by the way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 01:02 PM
    You should normally see somewhere in the 30's but it also depends on how many apps you have installed. With new OS upgrades you will likely see more. It seems like you are doing ok for now.
    01-05-09 01:04 PM
    I'm constantly running at about 22mb. I have Google Maps and Youtube installed everything else is stock. My phone runs fine, not slow etc. I have done 1 battery pull since Dec. 22nd, that's when I bought the phone.

OS .76
    01-05-09 01:22 PM
    I'm on .85 and I see 30 to 45, 45 is right after a pull (softreset). I also do memory management, such as closing an app when I'm done with it, and doing clean up.

EDIT: The amount of free memory, and how bad it "leaks" has improved for me with each firmware update. The improvement from .76 to .83 was the most dramatic, at that point on average I gained an extra 10 (pre and post leaks it was 20-30 on .76)
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-05-09 at 01:33 PM.
    01-05-09 01:25 PM
    As mentioned in previous posts, it all depends on the number of apps that are running and what's running in the background. I'm not sure about the Storm but, most of all other BB's require 10-12MB of free memory to run at peak performance.
    01-05-09 01:39 PM
    I've had no problems on my phone with mem in the 20s...I hear that it does not really matter because app memory and the actual phone memmory are two different things, but then again, I am a newbie too so I dont know for sure... This is just my 2 cents worth...
    01-05-09 01:42 PM
    If your App memory dips too low your phone will start acting funky. App memory is sorta like a computer's RAM. A BB is basically a computer. Bob is pretty much on the money that has been my expierence with the Storm when it goes below 10 (that was in the .65 days) the phone starts acting funny.
    01-05-09 01:47 PM
    This will all depend on how many apps you have installed on your device. The less you have the more memory you will have available.

01-05-09 02:08 PM
    All I have installed in Google Maps. I guess I shouldn't be too worried then. Haven't noticed too much slow down or anything though. Thanks for all the input.
    01-05-09 02:51 PM
    call my phone weird but it seems to run better when in the 20s....i do a battery pull and it goes up around 45-50 but just acts funny untill it gets down to 20s after a couple days
    01-06-09 08:10 AM
    install .85 , i have 60 mb after fresh pull , and about 52-54 by the end of the day
    01-06-09 10:33 AM
    I don't notice any difference between having 40 (after pull) and 20 after days worth of use without a pull.
    01-06-09 10:49 AM
    Around 47 after a battery pull and roughly 29ish is the lowest I've seen it go after 4 days.
    01-06-09 11:06 AM
    Given what people said here I just checked mine and it says 5.2 mb. Why/how is it that my phone runs just fine at 5.2? I am still on .75. I seriously have no issues with my phone since day 1 and have yet to do a battery pull.

01-06-09 11:23 AM
    Clean out your browser cache and do a memory cleaner. Also cleaning out old SMS/MMS/Messages/e-mails helps. See how much you gain after that. Also battery pull is good to do.
    01-06-09 11:40 AM
    Bell .76

A fresh start I see 39mb. The lowest Ive seen is around 22mb.
    01-06-09 11:43 AM
    After a soft reset I have plenty of application memory. After I run a maps program, like google maps or BB maps, it goes down to 12 or so. I think even after I exit the program (correctly, through the menu), it leaves the images in the memory.
    01-06-09 11:47 AM
    Given what people said here I just checked mine and it says 5.2 mb. Why/how is it that my phone runs just fine at 5.2? I am still on .75. I seriously have no issues with my phone since day 1 and have yet to do a battery pull.

I'm not sure how this is working. The Storm's screen drivers take almost that much memory just to function let alone the OS. Are you sure you're reading the correct info? Is there a way you can provide a screen shot?

Not to sound like an arse but, I'd like to see that.
    01-06-09 11:50 AM
    I'm not sure how this is working. The Storm's screen drivers take almost that much memory just to function let alone the OS. Are you sure you're reading the correct info? Is there a way you can provide a screen shot?

Not to sound like an arse but, I'd like to see that.
    I understand the request for proof as I too was stunned to see it that low based on how well it works for me. An occasional lag here and there but otherwise no slower than before I knew what the free application memory is currently. To be sure you we are talking about free application memory under Options/Memory right? I have checked this occasionally checked this in the past and it varied in the 20's.

I'll check it again tonight and if still low i'll pic n post. No means to do so right now.

01-06-09 12:23 PM
    BTW- up to a whopping 6.0 mb using browser and GPS running and it's humming right along.

01-06-09 12:28 PM
    I get upset if my app memory drops below 40. But I am learning that so much memory may be unnecessary.

It appears from what I am seeing out there that the aps for the Storm have not at all been optimized to take advantage of available memory.

There are really 2 issues here. How much RAM is allocated to applications and how much RAM applications can utilize.

Think how much faster the device would be; if in stead of 256 Megs of RAM, 500 megs was allocated to application function. AND... if applications like the browser, camera, video camera or media center could utilize as much as 20-25 megs if available. Transitions would be seamless. WOW!! That would be a fast device.
    01-06-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD