View Poll Results: How Did the Dumping Go?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a HAPPY & SUCCESSFUL Dumper!

77 34.68%
  • I am still in OEM Locked ****!

20 9.01%
  • Freed some Mem but the Pix Remain!

40 18.02%
  • I have No Idea What I Am Doing!!??!!

85 38.29%
    OS is completely installed on my phone with NO default Wallpaper, music pics, voice activated dialing, or TTY. Awesome. Not so awesome is that I tried to remove everything but AIM (and the last 3 options CrackMem gives you) but the Sample Video, Yahoo, MSN, Google, Facebook, Flickr, and VZ Nav are all still on there. If I try it again, will it remove these or will the same thing happen?
    01-23-09 07:04 PM
    OS is completely installed on my phone with NO default Wallpaper, music pics, voice activated dialing, or TTY. Awesome. Not so awesome is that I tried to remove everything but AIM (and the last 3 options CrackMem gives you) but the Sample Video, Yahoo, MSN, Google, Facebook, Flickr, and VZ Nav are all still on there. If I try it again, will it remove these or will the same thing happen?
    You could try again and let us know how it turns out. I havent had the need to do this more than once as I manually delete files that earlier versions of crackmem has missed.
    01-23-09 07:16 PM
    Ok so did it but...

Pictures remain.
    I followed the instructions to the letter too!
    I guess I'll have to wait until the next update comes out.

However, doing this freed up 13MB of memory for me! So thanks Rooster!
    01-23-09 07:17 PM
    Everything seems faster.... my memory is running at 50 but after a hour or two it runs at 35 or so. I have closed all the apps also. Is this also happening to everyone else.
    01-23-09 08:25 PM
    Everything seems faster.... my memory is running at 50 but after a hour or two it runs at 35 or so. I have closed all the apps also. Is this also happening to everyone else.
    Folks are reporting mem leak in 90. Check the OS sub forums for more information.
    01-23-09 08:36 PM
    Thanks for this, this is great. One question though...how do I know if I have another OS installed on my PC? I mean, where do I find it? I'm pretty sure I should have one on my PC, because when I got my Storm, I had to install .75. So I know I downloaded it, and installed it, but I can't find the download file anymore, I don't see it in the installed programs on my machine....but I know it has to be there.

I know it's going to be something obvious, but....
    Two ways to konw. One better than the other.

1. Under Vista, go to Control PAnel and select Programs. Scan the list for BlackBerry Operatng Systems.
      Under XP, go to Control Panel and select Add / Remove Programs and check the list again

The problem with this method is that it only shows that OS 4.7 is installed (several times) and does not show which versions - duh.
    2. Use CrackMem and look at the left hand panel which displays any installed OSs.
    Now you have to uninstal the version that you do not want. I just pick one in Control Panel and then run CrackMem once more and if I have uninstalled the wrong on ethen I delelte thhat too and simply re-install. That way I am sure that I have a pristine copy of my desired OS on my PC.
    01-24-09 02:40 AM
    I guess I really am a newb. Where do I find my OS? I have the VZW Curve 8330... and there is no folder in the common files/rim... folders that show my OS... where do I get it from?

Jamie
    01-24-09 08:51 AM
    Folks are reporting mem leak in 90. Check the OS sub forums for more information.
    I have noticed that there is a mem leak, I have taken vz nav out and it is a stable 48-49 mem available. I replace vz with google maps, plus no monthly fee and I am also running youtube and some other apps. Seems a lot more stable but not sure if that was what the problem was. Overall, very happy!!!
    01-24-09 08:49 PM
    I guess I really am a newb. Where do I find my OS? I have the VZW Curve 8330... and there is no folder in the common files/rim... folders that show my OS... where do I get it from?

Jamie
    Lol. You have to download the executable file first and then install it on your computer. Then navigated to the RIM folder to find all that stuff in the first post.
    01-24-09 09:07 PM
    Can somebody please post a link for crackmem because every time I download it, it won't extract because it's corrupt.
    01-24-09 10:32 PM
    Can somebody please post a link for crackmem because every time I download it, it won't extract because it's corrupt.
    The link to CrackMem is in the first post before the actual directions start. Pete (the developer) posted it and explained where the zip was attached in his thread.

I just downloaded the latest 3.3 version a few hours ago without a problem.
    01-24-09 10:41 PM
    Great post Rooster! Posts like these make me love my storm even more!

Might be a good idea to add in the OP that with Vista you should run crackmem in admin mode. Otherwise the changes won't have any effect.
    01-25-09 05:46 AM
    Great post Rooster! Posts like these make me love my storm even more!

Might be a good idea to add in the OP that with Vista you should run crackmem in admin mode. Otherwise the changes won't have any effect.
    Thanks! Edited OP.
    01-25-09 10:33 AM
    I'm surprised I've only seen this question a couple times....most folks using Vista have disabled User Account Control as it is a major pain popping up all of the time. With it disabled, you can't check the running cm in administrator mode.

Just to avoid future questions "why can't I do this", you have to go to User Accounts and activate Account Control and then reboot the PC. You can then check admin mode in cm. You can always then disable Account Control again and reboot.
    01-25-09 11:14 AM
    So far so good.. it has been around 24 hours and my memory is sitting at around 38-40 consistantly. Thanks Rooster for the thread, I am lovin my BB Storm more and more everyday!!!
    01-25-09 02:38 PM
    The link to CrackMem is in the first post before the actual directions start. Pete (the developer) posted it and explained where the zip was attached in his thread.

I just downloaded the latest 3.3 version a few hours ago without a problem.
    Is it just me who can't dl crackmem 3.3?
    01-25-09 02:44 PM
    I already had .90 installed but went thru the process anyways. As others have said, the pics are still there when I "explore." Likewise, the sample song is still on the BB. The video (Vin Diesel movie trailer) is gone, but I may have deleted that some time ago.

Memory has jumped though from 37.4 to 43.2. Any idea where the memory is being recaptured if the files are still on the BB?

This is a great step by step tutorial. Thanks!

PS: To demo why you do need to disconnect your computer's internet, here's a message I got after hitting "Start" Update Software. After disconnecting from the wifi, it went as Rooster describes.
    01-25-09 04:26 PM
    If you have alreay installed .90. can you still delete the wall paper? what if i dropped back down to .75 and then reloaded .90. would that work? has anyone tried that? Thanks for your help
    01-26-09 12:05 PM
    If you have alreay installed .90. can you still delete the wall paper? what if i dropped back down to .75 and then reloaded .90. would that work? has anyone tried that? Thanks for your help
    Yes I have tried this as well as countless others. The results are that some have gained memory but still can see the wallpapers in the sample folder.

I've found that the only way to successfully get the walls off and gain back memory is to do this with the initial install of an OS upgrade.
    01-26-09 03:09 PM
    Is it just me who can't dl crackmem 3.3?
    I think that it may be just you. It has now been downloaded over 1100 times and I only have one complaint about a bad file and that is you.

I asked you if you had tried other zip files to download and open. What happened?

Which program are you using to open the zip file? I made the zip file (all my zip files, in fact) using 7-Zip 4.57 and open zip files usng the standard WIndows zip file opener. I have tried this on both XP and Vista 32 bit systems. I performs equally well on bit my system files and tose I download from CrackBerry and other places.

Is anyone else having problems with unzipping my downloaded files? I would sure like to know if you are.
    01-27-09 01:40 AM
    The instructions are easy to follow, well laid out and a huge benefit to the community. I have used CrackMem on my Bold during the last few months. The only real difference is I actually didn't have to remove anything from the loader folder in advance. Thanks again.
    01-27-09 08:18 AM
    I voted I have No Idea What I Am Doing!!??!!
    01-27-09 11:47 AM
    Fantastic post Rooster, you have captured the key steps to making it work, in pictures.

CrackMem has proven itself over and over again with the traditional BlackBerry, the addition of the Storm makes it useful for a new generation.

The poll is a cool idea, wish I had thought of that.
    01-27-09 12:07 PM
    I want to dump the wallpaper but not do an OS upgrade. Can i do this without installing a new OS. When i open crackmem it says "no operating system found" and i can't get anywhere. Advice?

EDIT: I'm running .75
    Last edited by SkoogusMaximus; 01-27-09 at 07:04 PM.
    01-27-09 06:52 PM
    I think that it may be just you. It has now been downloaded over 1100 times and I only have one complaint about a bad file and that is you.

I asked you if you had tried other zip files to download and open. What happened?

Which program are you using to open the zip file? I made the zip file (all my zip files, in fact) using 7-Zip 4.57 and open zip files usng the standard WIndows zip file opener. I have tried this on both XP and Vista 32 bit systems. I performs equally well on bit my system files and tose I download from CrackBerry and other places.

Is anyone else having problems with unzipping my downloaded files? I would sure like to know if you are.
    Pete6, I dloaded the 3.3 an hour or so before that post so I dont think its anything you can do. I'm thinking its user error as far as I can tell.

I voted I have No Idea What I Am Doing!!??!!
    LOL. Boo!

Fantastic post Rooster, you have captured the key steps to making it work, in pictures.

CrackMem has proven itself over and over again with the traditional BlackBerry, the addition of the Storm makes it useful for a new generation.

The poll is a cool idea, wish I had thought of that.
    Thanks much Reed! Feel free to grab the poll thing and claim it as your own!

I want to dump the wallpaper but not do an OS upgrade. Can i do this without installing a new OS. When i open crackmem it says "no operating system found" and i can't get anywhere. Advice?
    No you cannot do this without an upgrade as specified in the OP. Sorry!
    01-27-09 07:03 PM
147 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD