View Poll Results: How Did the Dumping Go?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a HAPPY & SUCCESSFUL Dumper!

77 34.68%
  • I am still in OEM Locked ****!

20 9.01%
  • Freed some Mem but the Pix Remain!

40 18.02%
  • I have No Idea What I Am Doing!!??!!

85 38.29%
    Excellent info.
    01-22-09 01:09 PM
    Why don't you and JRRCivic08 figure out a couple more files to dump so we can optimize even more?

Have a great day all!
    There are more files to delete. You can delete things like fonts and extra languages. DocsToGo has extra languages instaled too. These are very small amounts of memory to get back and some people actually want this stuff installed.

CrackMem works by offering choices of module removal. but things like fonts would have to be done on an individual basis.

What is really required is that the Strom II comes with a LOT more memory. My 8900 has 256Mb and I no longer have to worry about memory. I have 161Mb File Free.
    01-22-09 01:59 PM
    Removing net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod will free up 1.8 megs or so but will also remove all the options for colored folders when adding a new folder. You'll be stuck with the vanillia default.
    01-22-09 02:07 PM
    Okay first off I am pretty technically savvy and I have never had any problems with upgrades or anything. I have run Crackmem it removed the .cod files for the sample pics from the Java folder. I am running DM 4.7. I ran DM it updated my phone. What I am tryiing to figure out is why are the sample pics still on my phone? Any advice.
    01-22-09 03:11 PM
    Okay first off I am pretty technically savvy and I have never had any problems with upgrades or anything. I have run Crackmem it removed the .cod files for the sample pics from the Java folder. I am running DM 4.7. I ran DM it updated my phone. What I am tryiing to figure out is why are the sample pics still on my phone? Any advice.
    If you do not dump those files before doing the upgrade for the FIRST TIME, then those pix remain for some reason. Some folks get the app mem increase but the pix remain. Try this again with the next OS release and I'm sure you'll see that they will be gone.

Also, killing the internet connection makes a world of difference, for real.
    01-22-09 03:14 PM
    Thanks a lot I will give it a try with the next upgrade. Oh and I did disconnect I followed you word for word didnt want any errors. I appreciate the assistance.
    01-22-09 03:16 PM
    im stuck on downloading the OS. i dont understand this concept. i have crackmem but when i connect my phone it says OS not recognized. how do i go about getting my OS to show up in the OS field. thanks in advance !!!!
    01-22-09 03:36 PM
    Great write up roster! Thanks to you I have over 50mb .. Great job. ... Hope the new update is doing you wonders like it is for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 03:42 PM
    GJ Rooster. Moved to Storms' Tips, How-To & GAQ subforum.
    01-22-09 03:46 PM
    Excellent How-To Rooster!!!

What's the maximum mem that's been achieved using this technique?
    01-22-09 03:55 PM
    Excellent How-To Rooster!!!

What's the maximum mem that's been achieved using this technique?
    Thanks Guys!

I've gotten about 6MB back!
    01-22-09 05:01 PM
    I used CrackMem when I downloaded the new .90 today and checked the module to eliminate the sample video and pics. Pics are gone but I still have the video. Any ideas and can you delete the Sample Pics folder?
    01-22-09 06:02 PM
    I used CrackMem when I downloaded the new .90 today and checked the module to eliminate the sample video and pics. Pics are gone but I still have the video. Any ideas and can you delete the Sample Pics folder?
    the video is not locked and can be deleted on the storm. And no, the sample folder cannot be deleted.
    01-22-09 06:05 PM
    the video is not locked and can be deleted on the storm. And no, the sample folder cannot be deleted.
    Thank You, EXCELLENT tutorial.........
    01-22-09 06:19 PM
    Thanks for this, this is great. One question though...how do I know if I have another OS installed on my PC? I mean, where do I find it? I'm pretty sure I should have one on my PC, because when I got my Storm, I had to install .75. So I know I downloaded it, and installed it, but I can't find the download file anymore, I don't see it in the installed programs on my machine....but I know it has to be there.

I know it's going to be something obvious, but....
    01-22-09 07:23 PM
    Well that was nice and easy!

Thanks Rooster and to anyone else who contributed the knowledge
    01-22-09 09:02 PM
    Thanks for this, this is great. One question though...how do I know if I have another OS installed on my PC? I mean, where do I find it? I'm pretty sure I should have one on my PC, because when I got my Storm, I had to install .75. So I know I downloaded it, and installed it, but I can't find the download file anymore, I don't see it in the installed programs on my machine....but I know it has to be there.

I know it's going to be something obvious, but....
    It is something obvious... control panel > add/remove programs (xp) or program and features (vista)

Be sure to choose Blackberry Device Software and not Desktop Software.

This is one of those tests that if you dont get past this piece, you prolly shouldnt give this a go. Just looking out for you here, not trying to be snotty at all. It's a REAL hassle to run into problems and have your phone not work is all.

Regardless, good luck and do post back how you did!
    01-22-09 11:31 PM
    Great post rooster. Hopefully people will read this before posting questions
    01-22-09 11:41 PM
    Rooster-

I don't think I'm going to install any leaks, even though I've installed a leaked OS on my Pearl before.

But I meant to post that I did go to Add/Remove programs in Control panel, but I was looking for an item that inidcated ".75". In any case, I'll check again when I get home, I'm guess I just glossed over "BlackBerry Device Software" thinking it was the desktop software or something.

I'm pretty comfortable with stuff like that, but I just like to go over the details before I start.

Thanks for your response, I'll be try to do this when the next official release comes out, I had alreayd bookmarked the other threads on the subject.
    01-23-09 09:34 AM
    i just did the procedure and i checked back in java and it shows it removed the saved pics but when i check in media they are still there? but i did get increase in mem from 43 to 52 so did i erase the pics and its just a bug that i can still see them?
    01-23-09 03:06 PM
    Gotcha Jetson.

The file name is just Device Software for smaprtphones without a OS number.

Rooster-

I don't think I'm going to install any leaks, even though I've installed a leaked OS on my Pearl before.

But I meant to post that I did go to Add/Remove programs in Control panel, but I was looking for an item that inidcated ".75". In any case, I'll check again when I get home, I'm guess I just glossed over "BlackBerry Device Software" thinking it was the desktop software or something.

I'm pretty comfortable with stuff like that, but I just like to go over the details before I start.

Thanks for your response, I'll be try to do this when the next official release comes out, I had alreayd bookmarked the other threads on the subject.
    01-23-09 03:37 PM
    i just did the procedure and i checked back in java and it shows it removed the saved pics but when i check in media they are still there? but i did get increase in mem from 43 to 52 so did i erase the pics and its just a bug that i can still see them?
    Yeah, AFAIK, most people who try this after installing the OS for the first time gain memory but can still see the files on their phone. I dont know why this is but it is.
    01-23-09 03:38 PM
    what does password keeper actually do? Will it erase the passwords i have for my email and voicemail if i delete this?
    01-23-09 03:45 PM
    Password keeper just stores passwords for u. It has nothing to do with ur actual passwords. Its basically like a database of ur passwords.

what does password keeper actually do? Will it erase the passwords i have for my email and voicemail if i delete this?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 04:07 PM
    Thanks Rooster. Have done plenty of installs but never with CrackMem. So far everything's going beautifully (installing on phone now) except:

1) Path to my java folder is different than yours :-)
    2) Didn't get rid of VZ Navigator.

Thanks anyways tho. Was an excellent walkthrough!

Edit: Scratch #1. Path is the same. I'm just an ***** and skipped looking in the Common Files folder and went straight to RIM folder in Program Files!
    Last edited by drjay868; 01-23-09 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Update
    01-23-09 06:25 PM
147 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD